Low Poo advice

goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
I was gonna post this in product reviews, but I know a few of you girls have quite a bit of experience with low-poos.

I've really been bad since the really humid weather hit and I've been using a sulfate shampoo more frequently. Really, since the dews went up I've started to deal with sebum build up near my scalp. I think that the low-poo's I've got are TOO gentle, and I really wanna find one of those harsh ones lol.

SoooOOooo what are the low-poos that you guys find more cleansing? I've used the GTTT in the past with good results, but I'm almost out and would kinda like to try something new.

I was thinking of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo-p-844.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Kinky-Curly-Come-Clean-Moisturizing-Shampoo]KC Come Clean[/buylink], Hair Rules Aloe & Grapefruit, Elucence Acidifying. Even my Kenra Clarifying isn't cutting it -- and its supposedly a sulfate (though one that's debated).

You guys have any suggestions of low-poos that you've avoided because they were too "cleansing?" lol
Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.

Comments

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm liking CJ Daily Fix lately - I guess you'd call it a low-poo since it has enough coco betaine that I find it really cleansing. A lot of others also seem to find it really clarifying, even chelating. Plus it's conditioning enough that I usually don't even use a rinse out conditioner with it, just a little leave-in (often SSRPT) before [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJCCCC[/buylink] lite then SSFHG - that's pretty much been my go-to combo for the past couple of months.

My scalp's even pretty happy with CJDF - I haven't used GTTTT or T-Sal (also sulfate-free) or the even stronger-medicated Nizoral (low sulfate) any during that 2-month period, I don't think.

If you don't have scalp issues, Terax Collagene Shampoo is a really good low-poo, though pricey at about $20. However, it's rich enough that it doesn't take much.

For a drugstore brand, I liked Naked Naturals pretty well, but couldn't stick with it because of my scalp's SD. I used the one with Keratin - don't remember it's exact name.

ETA: didn't read your post closely enough the first time - Burt's Bees Sugarbeet and Grapefruit definitely made mine feel overstripped. It might do the trick for you, although I'd first try CJDF. And isn't Shantelle (SS) supposed to be coming out with something soon?
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • goobernutgoobernut Posts: 2,317Registered Users
    I haven't tried Burts Bee's yet. I'll have to look that one up. I also meant to add that I was looking at [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Treatment-Shampoo-8-oz-p-41.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-treatment-shampoo]CHS Treatment shampoo[/buylink] too. Though I'm pretty sure that's not sulfate free.

I use and love CJ DF, it just doesn't work to get off all the grime in the summer. Worked great in the winter and I only had to use a sulfate shampoo like once a month. Its just not keeping up lately.

No scalp issues, I' just have a pretty naturally greasy scalp. I was completely sulfate free for 6 months and it never got better. I wasn't even really oily as much as I ended up with this nasty waxy build up at my roots. Took quite a few real poo's to get it off.

I forgot that the t-sal is sulfate free -- I might actually try that one out too.
    Grand Goobah Caedran, Aqueous Infusion of Demulcents, Order of the Curly Crusaders

Fia 2cFi, fine texture, med porosity CG 5-29-09 * My hair loves protein! Currently using : DermOrganics Shampoo and IHM, G2B Kinkier Mousse, Re:Coil VMM, Anything Spiral Solutions! MO Sealing. Coconut Oil Pre-Poo, once a month Hard Water shampoo. Avoiding Glycerin in finishing products.
  • RenaBananaRenaBanana Posts: 60Registered Users
    I'm not sure what is good, but I just wanted to let you know that I've had the same problem with Giovanni 50:50. Although, that might just be because I wait 3-4 days between hair washes. lol :)
    Hair Type: 3a, iii, fine, medium porosity, normal elasticity

No-Poo: Suave Naturals
    Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition
    Gel: KCCC
    and...: Jane Carter: Nourish & Shine to help SOTC

Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/renabanana/
    Password: sonic
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I second the T-Sal. For real. I have some from back before CG when my scalp would freak out. Now that my scalp isn't as greasy/breaking out anymore, it's too stripping for me.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Aunt Nett-
    Have you tried the Maribu yet? This might work for goob since she has hard water.
    http://www.malibu2000.com/content/CN_Catalog.aspx?id=7#10
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Oooh thankyou peda for reminding me of that company. I had decided a long time ago to not get it because others said it was really harsh. Woot!

For those of you interested, here are the ingredients...

Ingredients: Water (Aqua, Eau), Sodium C14-15 Olefin Sulfonate, Cocoamidopropyl Betaine, Cocamide DIPA, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate, Disodium EDTA, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Silk, Panthenol, Keratin Amino Acids, Ascorbic Acid, Organic Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Glyceryl Caprylate/Caprate, Citric Acid, Polyquaternium-10, Sodium Gluconate, Glucose, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Dioleate, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate , Fragrance (Parfum), Blue?1 (CI 42090).

Still kinda favoring the Hair Rules though, cause I can go over to ulta and get it with a 20% off coupon and no shipping. Here are it's ingredients...

water, cocamidopropyl hydroxysultaine, sodium cocoyl isethionate, disodium lauroamphodiacetate, cocamide MEA, sodium lauroyl sarcosinate, butylene glycol, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, sodium PCA, citrus cymbopogon schoenanthus (lemongrass) extract, humulus lupulus (hops) extract, coix lacryma-jobi seed extract, hydrolyzed wheat starch, PEG-75 lanolin, sodium methyl cocoyl taurate, PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil, polyquaternium-47, polysorbate 20, PEG-150 pentaerythrityl tetrasterate, fragrance, DMDM hydantoin, polyquaternium-10, disodium EDTA, citric acid, iodopropynyl butylcarbamate

What I like about the malibu is the EDTA high up on the list and all the protein!!!

• DEL2CDEL2C Posts: 6,418Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    years ago I tried Yes to Carrots, it has dead sea salts in it..after a few uses it dried out my hair. So maybe that's right up your alley ;)
    Discovered CG 2007

2C Fia BSL/Thick/Med-Coarse/Low(crown)-Normal Porosity Protein and Oil Sensitive

Link-Spritz & Condish Washing:glasses7:

I'm aCurlJunkieJunky :love4:

My hair LOVES Coconut DESPISES Soap Bars :tongue6:

CJRehab or H&B Fix, Deva NO POO, EO Rose & Cham POO & Condish, CJ CurlFix, CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ CIAB, SS FHG, KCCC, BRHG, AG Mousse Gel, ACV Rinses,Shikakai Conditioning Hair Rinse.
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    It's not out yet, but I got to test SS new Moisturizing Cream Shampoo that will be out sometime in August...it cleanses as well as a sulfate for me but doesn't strip my hair of it's oils! It's my absolute favorite low poo.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    It's not out yet, but I got to test SS new Moisturizing Cream Shampoo that will be out sometime in August...it cleanses as well as a sulfate for me but doesn't strip my hair of it's oils! It's my absolute favorite low poo.

Do you know if it contained menthol? WEN and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]Deva No Poo[/buylink] did and I am allergic! If you do not know, I can wait until she posts it for sale on etsy and lists the ingredient deck.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    rymorg2 wrote: »
    I'm dying to know if there is protein in this! It sounds great from what Ive read :D
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
    The one that Runner is putting out is different than the sample she sent out in the first batch, yes? I'm guessing its been reformulated. I didn't like the first one. My hair is INSANELY picky about low-poo's and I've found more often than not its the low-poo that leaves me greasy and lanky. I tried all of Runner's products at first and ended up a little greasy. Cut out the low poo and voila no greasy. I have to say its been the only product of hers that didn't work out for me. But she didn't actually market the formula we got in that first sample, sooooooooOOOoooooo...

I guess my question to Rymorg is that did you get a different (more recent) sample than I did?

• solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like Naked Naturals Awapuhi and Lavender. If I feel I need more cleansing thank CJDF, I use NN.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Ok....ingredients....I guess we'll have to wait on that one till it comes out. Sorry.

Goob, yes, I got the very most recent one. I'm fairly certain it had been changed some. So it may be worth a shot.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Aunt Nett-
    Have you tried the Maribu yet? This might work for goob since she has hard water.
    http://www.malibu2000.com/content/CN_Catalog.aspx?id=7#10

No, I still haven't - I can't think to put it in the shower, and I never remember it until I'm in the shower with wet hair, LOL.

But, yeah, Goob, check out the different shampoos at their site. I first learned about it from Xcptnl because she uses it occasionally to remove mineral build-up from her well water.

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • sarina32sarina32 Posts: 200Registered Users
    It's not a low-poo but I find Joico KPAK Chelating Shampoo amazing for removing build-up, hardwater, you name it, but still leaves my hair clean, detangled, smooth, and not dry!
    Ontario, Canada
    3a/3b - fine texture/high porosity
    CURRENT LINE-UP:
    experimenting....
    Others: CLU towel, Mebco comb, occasional diffuser
    Yeah, it contains sulfates, for anyone who cares.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    Ya it does. Sorry, I mentioned it wasn't a low-poo but to clarify for others the Joico KPAK Chelating Shampoo is a sulfate shampoo.
    Ontario, Canada
    CURRENT LINE-UP:
    experimenting....
    Sarina -- did you ever try the regular Joico Kpac shampoo? I've been curious about the joico chelating, cause from what I've read on makeup alley, etc its a serious-for-real chelater. No fakey happy extracts, they are serious. Which I'm glad those other products are out there, but I think florida water (in some places) is beyond the capabilities of "natural" chelating agents.

however, I tried the regular kpac shampoo about 6 months ago when my hair was seriously damaged, and that had to be the worst shampoo I've ever used. Seriously, it roughed up my hair and it was dry and straw like after one use. I don't know if it was because of all the protein -- which my hair normally loves, or it was just the formulation. I can use ALL kinds of so-called harsh shampoos and it not really make a difference in "feel" of my hair after one use.

So now I'm torn. I should see if Ulta has a small sample size bottle.

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, it contains sulfates, for anyone who cares.
    Did you mean the maribu or the joiko k-pac cheleating? Just curious.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    The Joico. Most, if not all, of the Malibu 2000 shampoos are sulfate free. The one I have is - Scalp Rescue, I think it's called.

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • amberdmamberdm Posts: 37Registered Users
    Jessicurl low-poo is great. I also like the Tresume' Naturals, low sulfate shampoo.
    -Amber, SC
    type 2b/c, thick and wavy; modified CG routine; use a low-poo 2 or 3 times a week and cone free conditioner; currently
    experimenting with different types of products

goobernut:
    I've never used the regular Joico shampoo but I do have VERY dry, medium-coarse hair, that is prone to breakage and don't find the chelating one to be a drying shampoo. I find it isn't as drying as the low-poos I've tried but cleans alot better. Since the regular Joico shampoo was so terrible for you it might be best if you could find a sample of the chelating one or at least get it from somewhere that has easy returns. Hopefully it works well for you if you decide to try it!
    Ontario, Canada
    CURRENT LINE-UP:
    experimenting....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file