Inception: clue to the ending (Spoilers)

EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
nm

Comments

• wonderdiana - shopaholic takes a napwonderdiana - shopaholic takes a nap Posts: 1,728Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh, I don't want it to be, though :(
    2C/3A -- wurly!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    i didn't watch the video but I want to see this grr!!!

:blah5:
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • KikapooKikapoo Posts: 1,087Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »

I just saw it...I wasn't impressed :-(. Some cool special effects though!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Kikapoo wrote: »

thanks for the heads up, now I don't feel so mad.

What about salt? have you seen that?

I wanna see dinner for shmucks!

maybe we should have a thread for current movie reviews LOL.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I thought everyone knew it was a dream?

I thought the end also was a bit similar to the end of The Simpsons Movie (Maggie's 'sequel' comment). But I still enjoyed it a lot.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyarca wrote: »

I thought the end also was a bit similar to the end of The Simpsons Movie (Maggie's 'sequel' comment). But I still enjoyed it a lot.

I think at that point I just didn't care anymore.

thanks for the heads up, now I don't feel so mad.

What about salt? have you seen that?

I wanna see dinner for shmucks!

maybe we should have a thread for current movie reviews LOL.

I haven't seen Salt. Angelina Jolie kind of bothers me, so unless I hear some exceptional reviews, I won't bother.

P.S. I love Paul Rudd! If you see it, let me know!
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,391Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    nm
  • CurlyEyesCurlyEyes Posts: 2,983Registered Users
    this movie was so confusing! the kicks! the frivolous action sequences! the levels! did the kids exist or didn't they? was it a movie or was it a dream?

seriously, the action sequences dragged on so much.
    made up of 98.822% silliness!!

beautiful_wonderful_fabulous_jade_antm.gif
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Eilonwy wrote: »

The ending is ambiguous because you don't see whether the top will fall. I believe it's intended to be ambiguous, too. At the end, Cobb doesn't care anymore whether he's in a dream or not: he just wants to be with his kids. The question is whether you (as the viewer) care. (Although I think his kids are the same ages he remembered them at.)

I think that Inception is really great as a summer blockbuster. It's exciting and it respects the viewer's intelligence. But I don't think it's a puzzle movie the way Primer is. (Primer is on Youtube and I think Google Videos as well. It's a good movie, and short, too.)
    I got the ambiguity. I felt it was quite obvious he was still dreaming. I felt the ending was very predictable, but the movie was still very enjoyable.

I know I had some Newhart series finale flashbacks. LOL

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • AG.AG. Posts: 1,519Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought you were talking about this when I saw the title. :laughing6:
    Northern Colombia.

The ending is ambiguous because you don't see whether the top will fall. I believe it's intended to be ambiguous, too. At the end, Cobb doesn't care anymore whether he's in a dream or not: he just wants to be with his kids. The question is whether you (as the viewer) care. (Although I think his kids are the same ages he remembered them at.)

I think that Inception is really great as a summer blockbuster. It's exciting and it respects the viewer's intelligence. But I don't think it's a puzzle movie the way Primer is. (Primer is on Youtube and I think Google Videos as well. It's a good movie, and short, too.)

Ok, riddle me this....two things (that I noticed) specifically bugged me:

1. In the deepest level of the dream, when Juno (I call her that bc I don't even know her character's name) left Cobb and jumped off the porch to escape that dream level--I thought it had to be the dreamER (or, in this case, the dreamed dreamer--but still) who felt the "kick" in order for their dreamED self to escape, and them to wake up. I mean, if you (the dreamED self) could just free-fall to escape, the rest of the movie would have been a lot simpler, right?

2. The whole time issue. I understand that the deeper you go, the time is multiplied...however, during the part where Aurthur(?) was in the hotel while everyone else went to the deeper level (while the van was falling), I could have sworn he only had 3 minutes. So how did he: fight a guy in the hallway, go to the room, gather everyone up, string em together, float them to the elevator, break through the elevator, plant some explosives, and detonate them....all in 3 minutes?

Maybe I missed something...
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users

1. In the deepest level of the dream, when Juno (I call her that bc I don't even know her character's name) left Cobb and jumped off the porch to escape that dream level--I thought it had to be the dreamER (or, in this case, the dreamed dreamer--but still) who felt the "kick" in order for their dreamED self to escape, and them to wake up. I mean, if you (the dreamED self) could just free-fall to escape, the rest of the movie would have been a lot simpler, right?

Maybe the kick is supposed to be when they die at that level/hit the pavement? Because given that Cobb and his wife had died (train tracks) in limbo and then woke up, I guess once you die in limbo you go to the upper layer of your dream? Maybe? IDK :)

2. The whole time issue. I understand that the deeper you go, the time is multiplied...however, during the part where Aurthur(?) was in the hotel while everyone else went to the deeper level (while the van was falling), I could have sworn he only had 3 minutes. So how did he: fight a guy in the hallway, go to the room, gather everyone up, string em together, float them to the elevator, break through the elevator, plant some explosives, and detonate them....all in 3 minutes?

I think he had three minutes after the first kick, so used the three mins to get them to the elevator and detonate the explosives. The fight time was not included in the 3 mins.

See bolded
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
    LOL, either I missed them too or I just don't remember
  • The New BlackThe New Black Posts: 16,754Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

This is one of those movies I'm going to have to watch again to understand (like Deja Vu with Denzel Washington). I just saw it last night.

I was about to give my take on the bolded above. Then I got confused just thinking about it. So I think I will go back and watch it a second time.
    montage-3.gif No MAS.

I am the new Black.

"Hope the Mail are saving space tomorrow for Samantha Brick's reaction piece on the reactions to her piece about the reactions to her piece." ~ Tweet reposted by Rou.
  • kaybkayb Posts: 5,054Registered Users
    Re clue to the ending....it was a dream. Cobb only wore his wedding ring in dream sequences.

Is it just me or does parts of this movie feel like Shutter Island?
    I ain't thirsty. There's plenty of fish in the sea, but I don't want all of them, can I have some standards? Or do we just have to settle, for someone's who meh and will do.
    "
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    I watched Moon (which is great, really liked it) shortly after this, and I'm mixing up caveats about how time plays out, between the two of them.

kayb- I can definitely see how Inception feels a little bit like Shutter Island.

I didn't realize that Cobb only wore his ring in dream sequences. I figured it wasn't a dream, and the four people I watched it with, because we all thought it looked like his spinner had started to unevenly spin, which means it would necessarily stop spinning. But I'd have to check that out again.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
    nm
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    I watched Moon (which is great, really liked it) shortly after this, and I'm mixing up caveats about how time plays out, between the two of them.

MOON SPOILERS

Moon starts out with Sam 5, the fourth awakened clone of the original Sam Bell (Sam 1). Sam 5 goes out driving in the moon cruiser, crashes, and is knocked out. The company detects the accident, and has GERTY awaken Sam 6 back at the base. But, the audience is misled into thinking that this is still Sam 5. (After all, it would make sense for the movie to cut to Sam 5 recovering from the accident.) Then Sam 6 goes exploring, finds Sam 5, and brings him back to the base. After that, everything is straightforward.

It's a very clever trick based on the normal language of cinema.

Reply in white:
    For a while it's natural to assume Sam 5 is Sam 1. Once I understood the companies scheme, it began to appear plausible that the Sam you're seeing remember original Sam's past from the beginning of the movie on (because it was implanted in him) is a clone himself.

What gets me about trying to comment on Inception having just seen Moon, is thinking about the character's flashbacks, and what I was sorting in my head with Moon doesn't apply to Inception, but my mind feels like resorting there. :sign6:

Re: the stuff in white (I'm hoping you've seen the movie Eilonwy, because it was good!) ...that made it sad. There's a great line from Sam to Gerty about how they're all people. Lends the impression that although others might see their human experience diminished from the fact of their origin, they LIVE as real as anyone does, and so their emotions matter as much as anyone's else. It's an effed up thing to do. I was thinking if we actually had the technology to do something like that, I wouldn't put it pass some corporations.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity
  • coilynappcoilynapp Posts: 4,233Registered Users
    CurlyEyes wrote: »
    this movie was so confusing! the kicks! the frivolous action sequences! the levels! did the kids exist or didn't they? was it a movie or was it a dream?

seriously, the action sequences dragged on so much.
    I watched this movie twice and still didn't get it. Maybe it's because I was knitting at the same time, but GOSH, everything was changing so fast, I didn't know what was a dream, what wasn't and what was a dream within a dream.

I'll give it another go and make sure to not knit this time
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file