Advice for loose curls?

IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I am new to the whole CG routine and have never done much with my hair at all. It's not liking gel very well! It makes me a stringy, crunchy mess. Seems to do as well or better with some sort of leave-in than something crunch-ifying, but getting products that are curl-friendly and don't smell (or cost) too much is tricky! Yep, I'm inexperienced when it comes to hair.
I have waves and spirals in fine, blonde hair (tends to be a little flat) with the potential for 3a-ish curls, except they're only as big around as my finger. I really want them to be bouncier and more defined - more "clumpy" as you all say here!
Do I have "product issues?" Do I just have to accept lazy curls?
I tried plopping (maybe not long enough) and that may help some.
Reassurance? Advice? Stuff to avoid for fine hair? Or is this exactly what to expect when you get started?

Comments

• JenjenjenJenjenjen Posts: 5Registered Users
    What products are you using? With just about any of the no-cone gels I use, after I'm dry, I have to scrunch to get the crunchy out, but then my curls are great. I guess I need more info on your method/products/etc. to help! :)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair doesn't care for gel, either. I use a leave in/curl enhancer and jelly type products. More layers in the winter and less in the summer. Plus, I do a protein treatment at least once a week.

As a result of being on this website, I went from winter wavy/summer 3a lazy curls to hair like my signature picture every day. It's a process of balancing the moisture and protein, finding out what your hair likes and technique.

Good luck!
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Jenjenjen, currently I am using Suave coconut conditioner for a wash (and I can't stand the scent!). I have tried flaxseed gel with so-so results. I used some LA Looks sport gel alone and mixed with the flax gel. The LA looks was kind of curly, but crunchy and not scrunch-out-able. Maybe I OD'd on that. I used some unscented and diluted (rainbow research -- no cones etc.) conditioner as a leave-in and that was pretty good. I got more curls with that alone than with the LA looks gel. Curls are mostly below my shoulders (waist-length hair). Above that, they more or less lay flat, twisting around a little bit.

My 'method' is to apply the leave-in after I wash my hair (PM) and then I re-wet in the AM and apply the gel to wet hair and scrunch it in all over, squeeze it with an old t-shirt if it's still too wet. Air dry. Obsess.
    Thanks, Kathymack. I will have to look into leave-in/curl enhancers. I have my eye on a protein conditioner but I won't be able to get it until next week. I am in the boat you were in -- winter wavy and summer lazy! Wow, that's inspiration, thanks.
  • FeralcurlsFeralcurls Posts: 408Registered Users
    I found this on the 2 section and have had a heap of success with this styling method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSMCGgkDWo

I've got lazy 3a hair and have got great hair each time I have done this. It doesn't seem to matter what product I use.
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    Being new here, I'm not sure I've got tons to offer. But, I do know that my hair is nearly GORGEOUS today (everyone is saying so and I do love it too) compared to just YESTERDAY. Yesterday, I raked in gel to hair after I had plopped (too long) and it came out like a big stringy lion after diffusing upside down.

Today, I rinsed out condish in the shower upside down, scrunched out water w/my hands, and then applied Curlisto products by srunching ONLY into my nearly dripping wet hair. Then, I used a tee shirt to SCRUNCH out water, did NO plopping, air dried while I dressed and did makeup and then diffused upside down. My curls are clumpy, spiraly, formed, shiny and beautiful. I REALLY like Curlisto products and how my hair came out today.

I share this to say that raking in gel has not been a good thing for me, I think I know that for sure by now. And, the combo of scrunching in my products and not opening my curls kept them together. Once my hair was dry, I srunched a bit to open/fluff the curls a bit, but not too much again, it's looking SO good.

Hope this helps some. It takes time to find your way with curls! :toothy10:
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
    Thanks everyone! I have found that even though gel makes the curls less loose, but with fine, long (waist-length) blonde hair, it looks like a crunchy mess. The blonde seems to enhance the crunchiness. I agree that squeezing and scrunching beat plopping. If I go for clumps, I get one layer of them (my hair is a bit layered -- but the fine-ness doesn't allow more than one clump) my top layer is less curly. It doesn't look bad if I haven't applied gel, but the gel look is a little too much of a flashback from the 80s. Raking in the gel really kills the curl I might have had going when I was squeezing the water out of my hair.
    I have not tried Curlisto products. I'll have a look!
    I don't use a dryer. I want to on occasion, but I'm really into saving energy and I can't bring myself to use so much just to dry my hair. Plus -- boring! Just squeezing the water out of my hair upside down makes a difference, so that's exciting. I use claw clips for a little more lift. I have NOT perfected that yet!
    Thanks for saying it takes time, Robinbeths. That is very reassuring.
    Okay everyone -- a big question. Big for me because hair dryers have been taboo with me and my husband (we dry laundry outdoors, built a solar water heater, heat and cool our house with geothermal.
    Here it is: does diffusing for a while make curls bouncier? I think mine are getting "dragged out" while air drying. But dry air (like from a hair dryer) scares me because it's dry (kills curl) and hot (fries hair). But oh, how I want bouncy ringlets and not stretched-out ones! I could find another place to save a little energy... help me out, ladies! Does diffusing make curls pop? Or does it just fry the hair?
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Okay everyone -- a big question. Big for me because hair dryers have been taboo with me and my husband (we dry laundry outdoors, built a solar water heater, heat and cool our house with geothermal.
    Here it is: does diffusing for a while make curls bouncier? I think mine are getting "dragged out" while air drying. But dry air (like from a hair dryer) scares me because it's dry (kills curl) and hot (fries hair). But oh, how I want bouncy ringlets and not stretched-out ones! I could find another place to save a little energy... help me out, ladies! Does diffusing make curls pop? Or does it just fry the hair?

It makes a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE difference for me, that's for sure. I get more dragged out if I air dry because my wurl pattern needs a little encouragement. I don't find that it fries my hair because it's not the same as just blow drying, it's a gentler method anyway, and even if I do start to feel a little dry, I just do my weekly deep treatment for a day and cowash a few times with a thicker condish and I'm good again. I also do weekly protein treatments (sometimes once every two weeks depending).

In short, it really does make my wurls pop and makes all the difference between a great hair day and an only okay slightly disappointed day :icon_smile: HTH!
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• SbudskySbudsky Posts: 261Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair is pretty similar to yours-- blond, on the fine-side, w/3a potential but easily weighed down. When I first went CG, I was having lots of trouble with stringiness, frizz, and looking too product-y.

The one product that has really made a difference for me is Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee-- it is very light and you need to use very little, but it has great hold that really helps to define loose curls. It is definitely a bit crunchy when you first apply it, but once you scrunch out the crunch it leaves you with nice, bouncy curls and no crunch.

After lots of trial and error, I've come up with a routine that has worked pretty consistently for me-

-I co-wash or use Jessicurl Curl Cleansing Cream then use a little conditioner (haven't really found one I love yet, though) and rinse with cold water
    -Rake a pea-sized drop of leave-in, curl-cream, or other creamy product, plus a pea-sized dollop of Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee through my hair while it is still soaking wet
    -Scrunch out extra moisture with a tee-shirt and plop for 20+ minutes or until about 60-75% dry
    -Take my hair out of the plop and scrunch in two more pea-sized drops of Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee until my hair feels a little crunchy
    -Let air dry or diffuse and then scrunch out the crunch

For second day hair, I sleep with my hair in a pony tail on top of my head, and then in the morning just take my hair down and wet it (until very wet but not soaked) upside down with a spray bottle, scrunch in a tiny drop of gel, and then plop until 75% dry. My hair usually has much better clumps and tighter curls the second day.

I also do protein treatments at least 1x for week and find that that helps my hair keep its shape.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
    Sbudsky, that really IS a small amount of gel. I won't say how much I was using. ;) Lets just say no amount of scrunching was going to de-crunchify it. Thank you very much!
  • SbudskySbudsky Posts: 261Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    With every other gel I've used, I've used tons. When I was using LA Looks, I would have to use globs and globs to get the hold to last throughout the day, but then it would weigh my hair down and make it look limp and wet. BRHG, though, is a very different kind of gel and a little goes a long way. Your hair is longer than mine (mine is just below shoulder length), so you might need a bit more, but I bet you could still get away with using just a couple more pea size drops. BRHG is kind of expensive, but a bottle will last a long time and it really made a huge difference for me.
    waves, loose coils, and cherub curls (=mixed 2s through 3a), very fine texture overall (but with medium and even coarse strands scattered throughout)
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,224Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Feralcurls wrote: »
    I found this on the 2 section and have had a heap of success with this styling method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSMCGgkDWo

I've got lazy 3a hair and have got great hair each time I have done this. It doesn't seem to matter what product I use.

This is a SUPER video. It is so helpful to me. FeralCurls :wav:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file