When will my hair stop looking terrible? **UPDATED WITH PICTURES**

SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
I've been wholly CG for about three days now, after a gradual phase-out of my non-CG products. I had a few decent hair days last week (in my avatar, and here) but since then it's been uniformly terrible. When it's wet with product in, my hair looks wavy, even curly in places, but it dries matted and messy. If I "scrunch out the crunch" any remnant of a wave pattern disappears, and it looks puffy and... still messy, bending irregularly and sticking out in awkward places.

Besides cutting out sulfates, I'm really not doing much different from my good hair days last week. I've tried a few different conditioners but don't think it should make such a difference. My hair feels dry and rough but not especially brittle, and looks like a bird's nest or something a cat coughed up. Meanwhile, I work in an office and would like to look rather more polished...

I'm mystified. Anyone have theories for what's going on?

Edited to add that I've never colored, relaxed, or permed my hair, but I did blow dry and straighten daily for probably six or seven years, so heat damage is assumed.
2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It would help for us to know more about your hair, so we can help you. Therefore, you need to know more about your hair. First off, you need to know your texture and porosity, here's a link to help: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=67218

It will have you go to Struttswife's website. A good investment for you would be her ebook. It has all the information in one place. Once you find out your texture and porosity, find people with hair like yours on the boards and "stalk" them. Look at what they use (in their signature) and what they do.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    It's in my signature... 2a/b, fine to medium texture, thick, not especially porous.

I've read here that fine hair generally likes protein even if it isn't porous, so I've used conditioners with protein, though no deep treatments. Could that be the problem?

I have been using the Ice Queen method, plopping in a t-shirt for 10 to 20 minutes after applying product (volumizing foam and/or gel), then letting air dry without touching.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I thought I looked and it wasn't there, sorry.

It can take your scalp a few weeks to adjust to a CG cowash routine. Scalp has to get used to not over producing the oils that you're no longer stripping by using sulfate shampoo or too many shampoos in a week.

Getting the most out of your curl is a balance between moisture and protein. If volumizing foam is mousse, my stylist doesn't recommend it even if the ingredients are CG. He feels that the propellant is drying.

My hair is fine and low porosity. It LOVES protein. I do at least on PT a week. I'm modified CG because I use the natural soap bars to cleanse. I cowashed for six months, my hair likes this a LOT better.

There is a learning curve to handling your hair. Learning the products/ingredients it likes and the techniques that enhance your curl. The best thing you can do is read, read, read. I started as a winter wavy/summer 3a. Now my hair looks like my signature picture everyday. My curl pattern has strengthened and I don't need gel to hold the curl--it lasts all day.

Good luck on your journey.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    This sounds like my day 3 report. I started seeing good changes day 4 and 5.

Today I am near the end of my first week and actually had a great hair day. The big difference for me today was either to avoid combing or plopping (or maybe both?). I went directly from scrunching straight to the diffuser. I don't think my hair likes the plop.

Hang in there!
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Saroyan wrote: »
    I have been using the Ice Queen method, plopping in a t-shirt for 10 to 20 minutes after applying product (volumizing foam and/or gel), then letting air dry without touching.

It could also be Ice Queen...I get super tangled that way. I now apply my products except gel upside down, plop, add the gel, sometimes semi-super soaker to reclump and plop, and diffuse. I'm still working on the routine, but it is better now that I am applying the gel after letting the curl enhancers activate while plopping. My hair dries faster too.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I started CG my hair felt rough. It wasn't any dryer then it was before CG, you could just "see" the dryness because I was no longer covering it up with cones.
    I'm not sure this is the case for you, but it may be. My pre CG hair routine was terrible (sulfates, brush, heat, etc.) and your pre CG routine was pretty hair friendly.
    It can take anywhere from instantly to two months to adjust. It seems like most people who have an adjustment period only take a few weeks to adjust. That is just based on my observations from reading, not a poll or study or anything.
    Get some hair pins and rock the updos. Hope things turn around quickly.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Sad to say that my hair is... still looking terrible. I'm beginning to think this may be an unalterable characteristic of my hair.

Regardless of products or styling, it's matted and fuzzy. Left to dry "naked," without plopping or any product besides low-poo and rinse-out conditioner, it's barely even wavy (though still far from straight). I have no discernible wave pattern and no clumps, no shine, and a halo of frizz I can't get rid of. It feels much softer and healthier than before I cut out the sulfates and 'cones, but the visual effect is still one of a damn mess.

And of course, it seems as though everyone in my office has sleek, smooth, and shiny hair (regardless of where they fall on the straight-wavy-curly continuum), whereas mine looks like I've slept on the streets for weeks.

I'm thisclose to picking up the dryer and straightener again, not because it's good for my hair or even because it looks that great, but because it at least looks better than whatever the hell I have going on now.

Sorry about the negative post; I'm totally discouraged.

Double posting because pedaheh posted this link about shiny hair in another thread, and I'm wondering if this could be contributing to my issues:
    Even “harmless” water can be a shine stealer. That’s because too much moisture swells the hair shaft and causes the cuticle to buckle. The more frequently you wet your hair, the less shine you’re likely to have.
    I wash my hair every day and have done so for years. Does it really make such a difference? If I don't shower and wash everything (including hair) in the morning, I feel dirty, nasty, and not-quite-awake... is this something I'll have to get used to?

I'm not doing anything else in the article, but I suppose this may be one issue.

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Step away from the flat iron! haha! I know, it seems like a lost cause some days, huh? I am now 5 weeks in and my hair finally has never looked better! The last 2.5 days my hair looks like I hoped. I am afraid to wash it tonight!

My hair is like yours and I cannot plop, I also watched a video MirCurls sent to someone else and the stylist suggested that fine wavies should diffuse rather than air dry because the water weighs down our waves. Have you tried diffusing after product? It helped support my waves. Just an idea.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQV89oanQ9A&feature=PlayList&p=8AC894AED32E9DE7
    I also know that we can be more critical of our own hair than others. I see all the gorgeous 3's and 4's here and then think my hair looks just messy and that I am the biggest curl imposter ever!

Hang in there! It will get better!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I always have to diffuse at least for a couple of minutes until I get my curls going - they don't do nearly as well if I just air dry, now that my hair's no longer as curly.

Love your new avatar pic, justajesuschick!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
    CG doesn't work for everyone. Your pre CG routine was a pretty hair friendly one. If CG doesn't end up working, you can always go back. I'd give it enough time to be sure that it won't work for you, before quitting. You don't want to end up wondering later if you gave it a fair shot. I've read it can take as long as 2 months. The fact that it feels better seems like a good sign.
    IMHO, I'd say if you are having issues, go ahead and blow it straight. "Wavy imposters" can make their hair straight without causing much damage. Get as much water as you can out of your hair before you start. Use the least amount of tension and heat you can.

I have no idea how much water steals shine. I have no chemistry or hair background and only know what I read. One of the reasons I use the spritz and condish method is to prevent my porous hair from soaking up so much water and causing dullness and hygral fatigue. Hair can only soak up water for the first 15 minutes. If it isn't soaked in water, but only damp, it soaks up less.
    Hygral fatigue is when hair gets wet and the weight pulls it down. Then it dries and goes back to it's normal length. When this is done over and over, it stops returning to its original shape. Kind of like a rubber band that has been stretched a thousand times. (at least that is how I understand it, not a chemist)
    Are you using protein? All (or at least most) fine hair needs protein. I'd suggest starting with something mild since your hair isn't porous. You may end up needing a regular strength PT. Kathymack had nonporous fine hair and does regular strength PT's.
    Mild-Sally beauty Ion PT, follow with a moisturizing conditioner or DT. AO GPB- protein heavy conditioner, has a strong pine scent.
    My sister used a soap bar 2-3 times a month with her hard water. After several months her hair wasn't acting right (can't remember how exactly). She switched to a detergent style low poo and her hair went back to normal. Soap style low poos say suponofied (sp?) oil on the label. Detergent style low poos list the surficants (like cocomidopropyl benetine (sp?)).
    Hope things look up soon. That has to be incredibly frustrating to have day after day of messed up hair.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    I definitely don't think it's CG that's making my hair bad. I've had bad hair forever, hence the years of blowing it straight. It's more like, I hoped that CG would make my hair a little less bad, enough that I could let it air dry and still appear publicly, but that seems not to be the case.

The diffuser attachment to my hair dryer is in a box at school (I'm away for a summer internship), but I suppose I'll have to dig it out when I get back.

I wanted so badly to have low-maintenance hair. :(

Just ordered some samples of PTs and DTs, so hopefully that'll help. Fingers crossed.

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I'd give it some time, honestly. I went through a fairly long transition period where my hair was finicky and curled weirdly. It was totally unpredictable. It looked better than it had, but was still a lot of work and looked and felt weird.

Then, after about a month, my hair just clicked. I found products and techniques that worked for me, and my hair's been getting consistently better since.

I think the PTs and DTs are a good idea, but also remember that it's a process, and it can take a while to find the products and techniques that your hair appreciates the most.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I definitely don't think it's CG that's making my hair bad. I've had bad hair forever

I wanted so badly to have low-maintenance hair. :(

Oh I hear you on that!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• JEMJEM Posts: 57Registered Users
    My transition took a little while, too. I realized it was because there were hidden cones in the products I was using. I had to do a regular clarifying shampoo to get them all out and start over. THEN my hair really started adapting to CG.

Don't give up! It is worth it. Keep trying different techniques.
    2a with 3a mixed in. Fine, thin hair; straight at crown for 2 inches, then curl. Clips are my friend or I'd have no volume on top. Currently using DevaCurl line. Also love aloe vera gel and KCCC. CG since Feb 2010. First Deva Cut April 2, 2010.
    Realized today that I'd forgotten about the part of icequeen-ing where you add a small amount of conditioner and leave it in after rinsing under cold water. With that (using b&b Seaweed conditioner after a Suave Pomegranate co-wash) and the Ecostyler, I am actually having a decent hair day. Success! Of course, I'm working from home today, so nobody else can see it.

104nmes.jpg

I don't know why I'm always wearing that dress when I take pictures... I do have other clothes, I promise.

• Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Very pretty! :)

It does take some time. For me it took about 3 months because I needed a hair cut. After my hair cut it looked soooo much better. You need to find the right techniques and products. You'll find out what ingredients that your hair likes and doesn't like. Then you know what to look for and what to avoid in products. That takes time.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
    I don't know why I'm always wearing that dress when I take pictures.
    It must be your magic good hair day dress. Glad you had a good hair day even if we are the only ones to see it.
  • lunargalelunargale Posts: 3Registered Users
    Okay....So I'm coming out of a SUPER long Hiatus just to reply here! LOL Im so glad that things are looking up for you. I all but killed my hair during my hiatus. I was doing the CG method for about six months. I just couldnt keep up with it (Saaaaad). you would think that the most low maintenance routine ever wouldnt be too hard to maintain- but i got lazy. Now im using some amaaaazing products- anyway, enough about me!

I think that curly/wavy hair like ours does best when its been trimmed. Nipping the dead ends off with give it new life and it will also help with the frizzies you are having!

Even though i am no longer doing the CG method, i can honestly say that if you stick with it, the changes are that when your scalp and hair get with the program, it will really help. :) :hugs: Keep us posted!
    Funny you should say that, because I spent $80 on a haircut three or four weeks ago. It did make a difference, in that the layers softened the "triangular" look I had before... but I guess it might still take some time before I figure out what cuts look best on me.

Like I said, I had the same hair issues pre-CG, which is why I straightened every day.... so I doubt going back to 'cones and sulfates would do much.

That said, I did have a pretty good hair day yesterday, so hopefully it'll keep improving or at least not get any worse!

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. :)

• simmplybsimmplyb Posts: 83Registered Users
    Wow, I share your frustration. I think my hair is so messy looking with this transition to CG/natural. It's so not me to have this mop I'm wearing at the moment. I'm spending MORE time and $ trying to enhance some sort of a wave pattern. Before, it would be a quick blow dry with NO styling products and my hair stay styled all day with the body my hair has.

I'm sticking it out for the summer since I do hate getting out of the shower feeling fresh and clean, only to sweat with blow drying. And, it's more fitting to have that beachy hair in summer, just think it'll look odd in the middle of winter here in New England!

I'm getting my first deva cut tomorrow....hope that helps too.

The support here and some feedback saying it makes me look younger is the only thing keeping me going!!

I wonder how many wavies give up since we have the weakest curl to maintain.
    CG as of 6/10: 2b,3a,/dense/med text/ norm elasticity.
    Low poo RenpureMPHISP 1-2/wk
    Co-wash vo5 TT
    Cond RenpureMPHISP
    D Cond PT and Moroccan oil rest. mask 1-2X/wk
    Styling summer: gioDLI,Ecost.+BRHG, plop,clip, air dry, SOMOTC winter: gio DLI, ArcAngel+BRHG,scrunch, diffuse, SOMOTC
    :wav:
  • DarinaDarina Posts: 71Registered Users
    Yeah when I started CG my hair looked wet all the time. I don't remember exactly when it stopped feeling ick, but it was after months. My scalp didn't like cowashing-only so I sulfate-pooed sometimes. Now I can wash and go without any stylers, which is great 'cause I'm lazy :toothy7: I haven't found a cowash that my scalp likes so I just no-poo a couple times a week.

When I use product I apply right side up, comb through, then scrunch & air dry/diffuse (I haven't diffused in ages though since I haven't needed to dry my hair any quicker). I get too much tangles from plopping/styling upside down.
    2a/b, coarse, high density
    no idea on porosity
    protein & oil-sensitive
    giving CG another go as of July 2009
    (previously on modified CG)

Current Experiment:
    Co-wash - Biolage Conditioning Balm, Suave Naturals Wild Cherry Blossom
    Rinse-out - Biolage Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Leave-in - Biolage Conditioning Balm, JCS Nourish & Shine
    Style - Deva Arc Angell, KCCC
    DT - condish/avg/honey mix, Ojon RHT

Bumping in case anyone else has this problem, to say that after two months I'm finally emerging from the transition period and getting good hair more often than not. I've been bad about documenting this in pictures, but I'll see if I can get some up soon. Three things that contributed:

1. Lots of protein! I have fine hair with a weak wave pattern, and my hair just drinks it up.
    2. Lots of moisture. I'm just now starting to realize how parched my hair must have been.
    3. Finding the right products and styling methods. This part's just trial and error!

So if anyone's transitioning and feeling discouraged, I'd seriously advise you to stick with it for at least a few more weeks. I had a longish transition period at two months, but now my hair looks and feels better than I ever imagined it was capable of. So don't give up! If it can tame my hair, it can tame anyone's!

...All right, just had to do a little bit of cheerleading there. I hope this helps someone!

• swavesswaves Posts: 86Registered Users
    Bumping in case anyone else has this problem, to say that after two months I'm finally emerging from the transition period and getting good hair more often than not. I've been bad about documenting this in pictures, but I'll see if I can get some up soon. Three things that contributed:

1. Lots of protein! I have fine hair with a weak wave pattern, and my hair just drinks it up.
    2. Lots of moisture. I'm just now starting to realize how parched my hair must have been.
    3. Finding the right products and styling methods. This part's just trial and error!

So if anyone's transitioning and feeling discouraged, I'd seriously advise you to stick with it for at least a few more weeks. I had a longish transition period at two months, but now my hair looks and feels better than I ever imagined it was capable of. So don't give up! If it can tame my hair, it can tame anyone's!

...All right, just had to do a little bit of cheerleading there. I hope this helps someone!

I've been trying CG for a week now, and I already miss my easy blown-dry-siliconed-straight hair, although I must admit it wasn't easy to get those curls underneath to straighten out. Looking forward to your new pix. Thanks for the encouragement! :toothy8:
    Type: FIA's 2c w/2b canopy; M II ; Mod CG & PJ since Sept 2010
    Experimenting with a lot of products
    Happy to help, swaves. I never used silicones so my hair always felt sort of strawlike, but at least I reliably knew that it would look decent every morning. My hair's not perfect now by any means, but it's much better, and the way it feels is actually unprecedented for me. For the first time in my life I have soft, shiny hair, and with time I know it will only get better.

Some pictures from today... my "befores" are in this thread. I'm growing out bangs, hence the strange short bits in front.

2iqk4k.jpg

714rde.jpg

2d0ifm8.jpg

168v4hh.jpg

30s7o0g.jpg

I should say that I'm going for softness and shine more than wave definition at this point, but I'm gradually adding more protein to my routine to help enhance my naturally weak wave pattern.

• leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    Your hair is REALLY pretty! It looks so nice, and very much like how you see celebrities wearing their hair these days, except you are getting it naturally!
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
    Thanks, leonita pora! :)

• IAgirlIAgirl Posts: 2,540Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is looking so healthy and lustrous. That sounds like it came right off the back of a shampoo bottle, doesn't it? Really pretty. You're so cute smiling into the camera. And then there's the sultry, "I let my bangs cover part of my eye" shots. Actually, those are cute, too. Way to go!
    IAgirl wrote: »
    Your hair is looking so healthy and lustrous. That sounds like it came right off the back of a shampoo bottle, doesn't it? Really pretty. You're so cute smiling into the camera. And then there's the sultry, "I let my bangs cover part of my eye" shots. Actually, those are cute, too. Way to go!

Ironic, considering it got that way by not using shampoo. ;)
    Thanks so much for the compliments!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file