Too much coconut oil or hair butter?

leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
Has anyone gone a little overboard with using coconut oil or hair butter to SOTC or just add some shine and definition? I've done this a few times, and I find it is hard to fix. Has anyone ever done this and found a way to fix it without getting in the shower again? I was thinking that maybe a dry shampoo would work, or some baby powder (I tried some powder that had corn starch in it, which only mildly worked). I really like coconut oil for shine and definition, but it's easy to overdo it and then so hard to fix!
Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair

Comments

• plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Nope. I usually resort to braids at that point, but I don't use oil to SOTC. I use just a tiny amount of Body Shop Coconut Oil Hair Shine, though lately I haven't needed to SOTC.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Posts: 230Registered Users
    Not coconut oil, but I've overdone it on the olive oil a few times. It's really much too heavy for my hair to be used daily as a leave-in type product. I just bought some coconut oil to see if there's a difference between the two.

Have you tried different application techniques, like rubbing it all over your hands and raking lightly? I'm still in the experimental process with the styling, lol
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
  • heidiheidi Posts: 243Registered Users
    Even the tiniest amount of Coconut Oil leaves my hair a greasy mess. The only way I've been able to remove it is a low-poo. So I've given up on Coconut Oil. Too bad too because I've got a big bucket of the stuff (not purchased with hair in mind).
    I have had much better luck with the Shea Butter based Emollience from SS. I get the shine without the grease and so far have not overdone it.
    I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, lol. Maybe try some other oils to see if you find one that gives you the same effect without as much grease if you use too much? Or use a measuring spoon to ensure you don't go overboard in the first place?
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • leonita poraleonita pora Posts: 175Registered Users
    Yeah, what I've found is that little goes a long way and also that it takes a few minutes for it to really sink in. That, I think, was a major factor. I put in a little and because it didn't immediately feel like it sunk in, I added more, which ended up being too much 5-10 min later. And yeah, I do rub it between my hands before adding it in. I think another issue is the summer heat - I don't have central air, so the temperature in my apt is above the melting temp of the coconut oil. I'd rather not leave it in the fridge, so I just use a spoon to take out the oil. I think I had better luck with it when I could take out a small solid amount and use my hands to liquefy it. I really do like the coconut oil for definition and shine - I just need to work out how much to use.
    Fia: 2b-2c/Fine-Medium/iii (Thick)
    Low-Poo: Giovanni 50/50 Balanced Shampoo, Shampoo bars
    Co-Wash: Trader Joe's Refresh, CJ Daily Fix, CFT Creamy Curl Cleanser
    Rinse-out: Trader Joe's Nourish, GFTN, Aubrey Organics GPB
    Leave-in/Curl Creme: Marie Dean Curly Styling Creme
    Gel: BRHG, homemade FSG, CJ Curl Queen, Deva AnGel
    Hair likes: Protein, FSG, high dewpoints
    Hair dislikes: coconut oil on dry hair
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have better luck with coconut oil when I apply to dry hair at night, sleep with it and then co-poo in the am. Really tightens and conditions my curls but isn't oily during the day. I rub any excess into my hands and arms - they are softer than they have ever been.
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Heidi- you may be able to use your excess coconut oil as lotion or massage oil. Many people love it for skin. I find it to be a bit greasier then I would like. Hope you find some way to use it.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • JEMJEM Posts: 57Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »
    Heidi- you may be able to use your excess coconut oil as lotion or massage oil. Many people love it for skin. I find it to be a bit greasier then I would like. Hope you find some way to use it.

I LOVE coconut oil on my skin. I oil up at night and it's all absorbed by morning!
    2a with 3a mixed in. Fine, thin hair; straight at crown for 2 inches, then curl. Clips are my friend or I'd have no volume on top. Currently using DevaCurl line. Also love aloe vera gel and KCCC. CG since Feb 2010. First Deva Cut April 2, 2010.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedaheh viewpost.gif Heidi- you may be able to use your excess coconut oil as lotion or massage oil. Many people love it for skin. I find it to be a bit greasier then I would like. Hope you find some way to use it.

I LOVE coconut oil on my skin. I oil up at night and it's all absorbed by morning!
    At night. That is the trick I'm missing. I'll try that this winter when my skin is dry.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file