Bad hair days & Bad Products

DulceKissesDulceKisses Posts: 11Registered Users
It seems as though I just cant find anything to work on my hair.

I just found out that all of my conditioners and even the shampoos all contain silicone's - I'm still trying to figure out if this is good or bad. Two of my products (conditioners) contains two types of silicones, the water soluble one, but then it contains ANOTHER one over that so I feel like they cancel each other out.

I recently bought from Target the SheaMoisture - and I want to love it but I find that I cant since I have so many cone's and God knows what else on my head-maybe if I had bought the shampoo as well it would work, but I'm trying to do what I can with what I have before I buy anything else!

My favorite products are the ones I use before I flat iron my hair - they contain both "Peg-9 Dimethicone" and regular "Dimethicone".

Im not sure which products contain sulfates or anything else such as parabens or harmful radioactive crap that may be hidden inside underneath all the fancy scientific writing they have displayed on the bottles. I'm no master at chemistry-I just about failed the damn class in highschool and loathe the idea of having to take it to graduate college.

I RECENTLY began my transition in Janruary after my last relaxer 01/17/2010 and havent had a relaxer since, though occasional flat ironing - I love my curls...but I hate dealing with them on days when they just seem extremely dry, frizzy, and sometimes even matted. I think only one day have I ever had bouncy fluffy frizz free curls and I don't know WHAT i did to get those! Probably some bantu-knot-outs or something...

I just want to do a wash and go or a co-wash and go and not have to worry about constantly having hidden buildup or some strange residue on my hair that prevents oils and all the good stuff from getting in; like the shea moisture which is an all natural product, but since I have so much crap on my hair already I just realized maybe thats why it doesnt work?

The stuff I'm using (as writtin on the front of the bottle)

Dove Daily Moisture Therapy Shampoo for dry, rough hair w/ moisturing serum

Dove Damage Therapy Intensive Repair Conditioner
w/ patented micro moisture serum & fiber actives (weightless formula)

Herbal Essences Drama Clean Refreshing Conditioner with a fusion of berry tea & orange flower

Organic Root Stimulator Olive Oil Replenishing Conitioner (I use this before I flat iron, and as a deep conditioner)

Garnier Fructis shampoo's and conditioners (I use these occasionally, only when I first color my hair to wash the left over color out)

Co-washes with
Suave Professionals Sleek Conditioner (orange bottle)

Suave Professionals Color Care Conditioner
(magenta/pinkishred bottle)

Styling/Moisture with
Pantene Pro-V Relaxed & Natural Daily Oil Cream moisturizer with jojoba, coconut oils & moisturizers

Organics by Africas Best
Maximum Strength Extra Virgin Olive Oil Moisturizing Growth Lotion
with Shea Butter

when I do apply oil to my hair, I no longer apply the kind from the beauty store since it contains parabens, I only use the ones that you use for cooking lol. Currently I'm only using extra virgin olive oil

I'm so confused I don't even know what to stop using, continue using where to stop or where to start - I'm ready to just slap a relaxer in my head and say to hell with being natural! :sad1: But its been so long for me I really dont want to do that.

I'm not sure if its me, the hair, the hair cut, or the products - or the fact that I'm still transitioning and have about 3 inches of natural hair(when pulled, only a inch when coiled/curled up) and 3-2 inches of relaxed hair left. I'm just about ready to chop the rest of it off wash my hair with baking soda & apple cider vinegar and call it a day - but I have no idea if that will even help. I'm so confused. Hopefully someone can help.

I have I guess what would be called 3c/4a hair, the curls are all over the place (literally) they wont coil together anymore its like each strand of hair makes its own curl

Comments

• NaturalReviewNaturalReview Posts: 91Registered Users
    I've been natural for almost ten years. I don't drive myself crazy worrying about cones and this and that. I say, find what works for your hair and keeps your hair healthy. I like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Totally Twisted. They may have some ingredients that are frowned upon, but they keep my hair moisturized. My hair is also healthy.

I stay away from petroleum because I don't like the way that it makes my hair feel. It also weighs it down too much. That's how I decide which ingredients to avoid. I just pay attention to what they do to my hair.

http://naturalreviewbyl.com
  • DulceKissesDulceKisses Posts: 11Registered Users
    thank you for your reply!

& that is my problem, nothing is working anymore lol. All of my conditioners just feel horrible same as the shampoo's I finally got a moment of relief this morning when I washed my hair again with a little hello hydration, but the major relief was the VO5 conditioner, felt like silk.. and my hair is soft and fluffy once again.... so I think I'm going to stick with the vo5 conditioner
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    I agree with Naturalreview...find what works and what keeps your hair healthy. There are lots of shampoos in the drugstore that are clarifying. Use one every so often (you will be able to tell by the hair) if you will use cones. Don't stress:laughing2:. I think that's worse for the hair than any ingredient. The Shea moisture stuff is pretty good, and cone free....
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file