We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Which is worse: sweet tea or soda?

curlystateofmindcurlystateofmind Posts: 180Registered Users
My friend is trying to eat and drink healthier and asked me which is worse: regular soda or sweet tea. I told her I would think the acid in the soda would be worse and at least the tea has some health benefits like antioxidants. She heard that they were equally bad.

I told her I would consult a group of experts and get back to her. :p

So what do you think? Which is worse?
Used to be a member, left for awhile, now I'm back.

Comments

• JayneeJaynee Posts: 2,039Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    As far as sugar and calories, it's probably about the same. But soda has all kinds of chemicals and other nasty stuff, so I guess if it was just straight tea that had sugar added, tea would be better.

• rockthecurlzrockthecurlz Posts: 910Registered Users
    Jaynee wrote: »
    As far as sugar and calories, it's probably about the same. But soda has all kinds of chemicals and other nasty stuff, so I guess if it was just straight tea that had sugar added, tea would be better.

+1
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    depends on who makes the tea :tongue10:

tell her to just drink water, thats the healthiest!
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • anonymous_22139anonymous_22139 Posts: 659Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It depends upon how much sugar she uses. When I make sweet tea, I use 3 tsp of sugar per 12 oz. which is a LOT less sugar than a soda.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I think the soda is much worse. A teaspoon of sugar has only 16 calories, most sodas have 150 and are loaded with sugar.

Unless she pours a cup of sugar into her cup of tea, there's no contest.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • curlystateofmindcurlystateofmind Posts: 180Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »
    depends on who makes the tea :tongue10:

tell her to just drink water, thats the healthiest!

Chick-fil-a. That's her favorite. I like it too but when I get it I tell them to do half and half.

Oh I've told her to drink water but she won't listen. She is stubborn!
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Posts: 7,223Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    They're essentially the same. A large Chik Fil A sweet tea has 220 calories. A large Coke has 250 calories. As far as anti-oxidants go, that's most likely grasping a straws a bit. I bet the CFA sweet tea is so far removed from actual tea leaves that there's very little anti-oxidants going on.

Coke does have sodium so I guess if she had to find something, anything that makes one worse than the other, that would make the Coke worse.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,677Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Calories being relatively equal, I would vote for sweat tea, assuming it's sweetened with plain sugar. It just seems the more "natural" of the two, so the lesser of the evils.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,481Registered Users Curl Novice
    Many sodas are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which is supposed to be rather nasty.... I forget why, I just avoid it altogether.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Yeah, their website doesn't list ingredients. I wouldn't assume the tea is sweetened with sugar instead of corn syrup. If the goal is to eat healthy, I'd stay away from both. Maybe she should get the unsweetened tea and add her own sugar.
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Posts: 4,476Registered Users
    I'd say the sweet tea is better, if it didn't have HFCS as the sweetener and the tea is made from tea leaves and not a powdered mix. I've never had CFA so I don't know what's in their sweet tea.
    I prefer Diet Coke.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If she's making her own tea, then the tea would be healthier, especially if she's using green or white tea, which have a lot of health benefits. If she's just buying junk tea or soda at places like Chik-Fil-A, it doesn't matter...both are junk.
  • EilonwyEilonwy Posts: 12,389Registered Users
    2poodles wrote: »
    Many sodas are sweetened with high fructose corn syrup which is supposed to be rather nasty.... I forget why, I just avoid it altogether.
    HFC and sugar have the exact same effect on the body. The only issue with HFC is that it's in pretty much all processed foods (or at least those you're likely to get outside of Whole Foods).
  • medussamedussa Posts: 12,993Registered Users
    I keep reading about sweet tea on the boards. Is it like iced tea?
    medussa wrote: »

Sweet tea is just tea that has already been sweetened. You're more likely to find it in restaurants in the South. In the North, unsweetened tea is more standard...we expect to add our own sugar.

When I'm in the South, I order unsweetened tea, because I don't trust what they have sweetened it with, or how much they put in.
  • midgimidgi Posts: 2,409Registered Users

Sweet tea is just tea that has already been sweetened. You're more likely to find it in restaurants in the South. In the North, unsweetened tea is more standard...we expect to add our own sugar.

When I'm in the South, I order unsweetened tea, because I don't trust what they have sweetened it with, or how much they put in.

Yes! I always put my own sugar in because I don't do Splenda, Sweet'N Low, aspartame or any of that artificial crap sugar.
    I just want to do what I want to do when I want to do it.
  • journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users

Sweet tea is ice tea where the sugar is either boiled with the water or added after the water has boiled but while it's still hot. That way, the sugar granules melt. Adding the sugar/sweetener when it's cold doesn't taste the same, imo. And the sugar always sinks to the bottom of the glass.

I went to high school in the South and I do love sweet tea, but it's fattening. These days, I drink my iced tea straight, with no sweetener. Love iced green tea.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    mmm, I love sweet tea. so yummy
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,059 Administrator
    I hardly ever drink sweet tea from anywhere because 99% of the time, it's made far too sweet for my taste. If I do drink tea, it's unsweetened. I HATE all bottled teas. I have yet to find one that I like.
    Eilonwy wrote: »
    2poodles wrote: »
    HFC and sugar have the exact same effect on the body. The only issue with HFC is that it's in pretty much all processed foods (or at least those you're likely to get outside of Whole Foods).
    Not true, according to a Princeton study.

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
  • reenireeni Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank-you for posting this.
    What a WONDERFUL day!!
    I hardly ever drink sweet tea from anywhere because 99% of the time, it's made far too sweet for my taste. If I do drink tea, it's unsweetened. I HATE all bottled teas. I have yet to find one that I like.

Honest Tea is the best I've found but it's hard to find as most places stock Lipton or Arizona. I don't even bother with bottled tea anymore.
  • CurlyCurliesCurlyCurlies Posts: 1,641Registered Users
    I love Honest Tea. :love5:

Lipton's PureLeaf line is not that bad. I like that they offer an unsweetened version.
    33abhqq.gif
    I read somewhere once that green tea loses all of its health benefits once it is cold. I'm not sure if this is actually the case or not...Anyone else hear that?
    I read somewhere once that green tea loses all of its health benefits once it is cold. I'm not sure if this is actually the case or not...Anyone else hear that?

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that. There was a well-hyped study a few years ago that said that green tea keeps about 80% of it's antioxidant benefits for at least 8 hours at room temperature. From that, I guess we can extrapolate that if chilled, it would lose even more, but how much more, we just don't know. For me, I really just can't drink hot tea, but I love iced tea. So, if I'm losing health benefits by drinking it iced, well, it's more health benefits than I would get drinking diet soda, so I feel OK drinking iced green tea. I make it fresh myself, daily, so I feel like it still has some good stuff going on.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Posts: 24,963Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    Def the tea is better...
    0004.gif

Ever since the sports thread wars I have sensed a special connection between [edit] & Wile. Like the connection oil has to water. I almost can't speak of it. Wait....my eyes are misting. ~asq
    Let’s just stay together and tell the world to kiss our ass. ~P

• WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    I drink my tea plain, but I do know that CFA brews real tea in-house and sweetens it with regular granulated sugar. I drink their unsweetened iced tea every day. Your friend can ask for it half and half to cut down on the sugar.

I'd definitely choose even sweet tea over the HFCS in soft drinks. Many in the medical community disagree that it affects the body in just the same way as sugar or even natural corn syrup - the jury still seems to be out. I find it suspicious that our obesity problems have so increased in the time that it's been used in everything in our country, although a lot of that can certainly also be attributed to increased portion sizes. However, many countries that don't use it as we do have very generous portion sizes, too, without the escalation in obesity.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,177Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would think soda is worse because it has all that artificial crap in it. I just had some sweet tea, yum! But only sometimes, it's still not healthy. I've noticed usually nicer restaurants generally don't make it 'ghetto' sweet.
  • emthefantasticalemthefantastical Posts: 962Registered Users
    i'd definitely pick the sweet tea over soda any day. like a poster above said, chick fil a brews their tea every day and adds the sugar, so it's not like a mcdonald's sweet tea where it's hardly tea at all.

if it helps any, my dentist said he'd rather me drink sweet tea over soda because the sweet tea is far easier on teeth.
    2c/3a
    somewhere between fine and medium texture
    average porosity underneath, fairly high porosity in the canopy

cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut
    rinse-out: GFTN, One-C
    styling: LALSG, EcoStyler, Deva Styling Cream

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file