hey! white 2c 18yo iowa boy here XD

grantswansongrantswanson Posts: 39Registered Users
dear naturallycurly.com, nice to meet you all! my hair sucks!

naturally i have a lot of wavy, frizzy hair.
I wash my hair once or twice a week, co-washing when needed.
since 2007, I flat-iron, tease roots, and hairspray pretty much every day.

recent processes:
i have dyed my hair once darker one year ago (ion color brilliance)
then, 7 or 8 months later, (after my hair was so healthy, too...)

2z4y3gm.jpg

i tried to go blond. processed once using ion color briliance level 9 lift...

...was upset with my orangy blond, so bleached (loreal quick-blue*) again. worst decision i’d ever made LOLLLL!!!!!

2rz8jh0.jpg

by this time, i was not using any heat to damage my hair further and started the treatments in italics below, thanks to all you course/curly ladies sharing your secrets!!! this was about a month ago.

my hair was falling out so i used aphogee 2-step protein treatment, good results.

toned with wella silver lady. washed out after a few washes, the bleach was not worth it!!!

gave up on everything. my hair was falling out, and looked terrible. at american hair, i got a semi-permanent dye by a professional. my hair felt so much better after, but it still has some breakage..

to help, i thought i’d use:

pure unrefined coconut oil pre-poo, often.

sulfate free shampoos (loreal)

biolage conditioning balm for dry hair.

ion extreme moisture (i know, it has silicones. but it made it soft)

argan oil serum (had some silicones in it too)

nexxus leave in conditioner

these have really helped my hair out, but it’s still very damaged.

23lk06.jpg

xoxo grant

i'll probably have a lot of dumb questions but i also hope i have a lot to offer to guys/ short haired girls here!!!
Naturally soft but dull, mixed porosity, doesn't like heavy protein, but does like heavy oil and butters.

Currently only use a sudsy shampoo 3x a week
Homemade oil blend
Kevin murphy motion lotion (need something else)

Comments

• mkemke Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi Grant, nice to meet you! FYI, if you're using products with silicones, you'll need to use a sulfate shampoo to remove them from your hair or you'll get awful buildup (unless they're water-soluble -- if you post the ingredients, someone can help you figure that out). A lot of people, especially wavies, do a modified CG routine that involves a periodic sulfate shampoo wash.
    fine texture / low elasticity / high density / low porosity
  • grantswansongrantswanson Posts: 39Registered Users
    mke wrote: »
    Hi Grant, nice to meet you! FYI, if you're using products with silicones, you'll need to use a sulfate shampoo to remove them from your hair or you'll get awful buildup (unless they're water-soluble -- if you post the ingredients, someone can help you figure that out). A lot of people, especially wavies, do a modified CG routine that involves a periodic sulfate shampoo wash.

a 2c! hi! okay! one n only argan oil is a cheap sally's dupe: Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethiconol,. C12-15, Alkyl Benzoate, Fragrance (Parfum), Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil (Argan Oil), Yellow 11 (CI47000), Red 17 (CI 26100).

and ion extreme moisture is just bad... bad.. ima stop using that.
    Naturally soft but dull, mixed porosity, doesn't like heavy protein, but does like heavy oil and butters.

Currently only use a sudsy shampoo 3x a week
    Homemade oil blend
    Kevin murphy motion lotion (need something else)
  • ninja dogninja dog Curl Neophyte Posts: 23,780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Grant,

Check out the "start here" thread, and read the 2 boards; lots of ideas for maintenance there.

Stop killing your curls ---- they're great.

Welcome!

Ninja Dog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file