Me and Ecostyler - it's a love affair

finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
I just had to share.

I ran out of my beloved Ecostyler Krystal today, so on the way home I stopped by Sally's to get another jar. Imagine my surprise when I saw not only the 32 oz jar, but a 2.36 liter BUCKET of Ecostyler Krystal.

I thought for a moment, then I grabbed it (it has a HANDLE) and brought it up to the front, where the sales woman asked me if I was buying for a salon.

Don't judge, ladies. The stuff is amazing in my hair, and has never once let me down.

I predict I won't be buying any more for the rest of this year, however.
2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
Summer Routine
Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Cowash CJ Daily Fix
Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    DAMN.

gah august 18th...my no products for 30days will be up!:D
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Turtles, out of curiosity, which Lustrasilk are you using? I love that stuff in low dews.

The great thing about the Ecostyler is that it's dirt cheap, so if you don't like it, you're not out a ton of money. My 2 liter bucket was only $8, and the 32 oz jar I normally buy is around $4.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    ummm its the orange kind, I believe its mango and shea butter. I've stopped using it, I guess I should change my sig. I just didn't like the smell. It had good slip though.
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is what I posted to the product review board yesterday on the ecostyler thread.
    How do I love you Ecostyler?:love3: Let me count the ways:
    1)Giant tub of magical goo for 3$ that may last a lifetime. You have no idea how much I love a bargain.
    2)Gives me a daily hit of protein
    3)I can feel it pulling my hair into clumps as I scrunch it in.
    4)wave/curl enhancement
    5) has some EDTA in it which helps remove some hard water build up. (2nd to last ingredient, but there is still some)

cons
    1) I can't use it in the dry winter because of the glycerin.

I need tons of hold, so for me the ecostyler krystal is a curl enhancer. I put BRHG over the top. This is a summer HG for me.
    I seriously don't understand how you go through so much Finale. I use a lot and I'm only 1/4 of the way down my 32 oz tub and I gave a friend a 1/4-1/2 cup sample.

Here is the story of my love affair with Ecostyler. I bought my ecostyler last october. I was able to use it about twice before the dews fell below 20. Because it has glycerin in it I had to put it under the sink for the whole winter. I wondered, if I had romanticized our brief fling? Would it really be a long term relationship come april? April came around and once the dews were high enough Ecostyler and I were inseparable. Summer curl enhancer, I have found you.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    Does the olive oil one come in the XL (2 L) bucket? I don't know if I've ever seen these at our sally's here. I didn't see this size online either. For some reason the olive oil one works better in my hair, although the krystal works too. TIA.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
    P.S. Finale, you are not in the lead. Empressi has not one but two five pound tubs.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

pedaheh wrote: »
    P.S. Finale, you are not in the lead. Empressi has not one but two five pound tubs.
    Wow.

And yeah, I go through a lot of it, but I also use it all year, and generally at least water wash daily, so that means that I'm applying every day.

That said, in the 8 months I've been CG, this is my third jar - I got a small one at first, then a 32 oz one, then the bucket. :)

But as I've said before, my hair is a product-eating black hole, and when straight, it's collarbone length.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    plunkybug wrote: »
    Plunky, that's not the same size, or the same one that I use. I'm in love with the Krystal, which has more hold and more protein.

And that's the 32 oz size, which is still huge (and lasted me about 5 months).

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you use beauties use this alone or over or under something else? My 2a hair might really like this!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I may have to try this. I'd never even heard of Sally Beauty, but it turns out there's one a 15-minute walk from my office. I'll have to check that out.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • McCurly1McCurly1 Posts: 20Registered Users
    I'm a newbie (been here about a month) and Ecostyler Krystal is one of the first things I tried. Also tried HETT gel, & Deva ArcAngel. I keep going back to Ecostyler. It has a super-faint, very clean smell. I'm super-picky & the smell of a product is a make-or-break-it detail for me. I use a lot, and it will dry with the incredible wet-look that I rocked in junior high (wasn't that AWFUL?), but it scrunches out completely. *Completely* I'm left with very soft curls. This is a curl-enhancer for me, also.

I scrunch it in over my leave-in, plop long enough to get dressed, then sometimes scrunch in a little more. LOVE IT!!:toothy7:
    CG Newbie (since 6/21/2010) & loving it!! :love4:
    2c/3a (I think), normal porosity, density, & elasticity
    CO wash: Devacare No-Poo, Suave Naturals
    Low-Poo: Kiss My Face Whenever
    Cond: Devacare One Condition, GVP CB, AOHR
    Styling: Devacare ArcAngel, Ecostyler & Denman
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Finale, you crack me up! I too don't know how you made it through the 32oz tub in that amount of time. I've barely put a dent in mine and I've had it a year (though I don't use it every day). You should post a picture of you with your bukkit of Eco.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Has anyone tried the Ecostyler protein? It looks like this.

I have the Krystal and while I do like it, it's not a HG for me. Then again, nothing is a HG for me yet. It's my fault for starting to learn about my wavy hair during the most humid, hot summer we've had in years!
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

Is this the one, or is it another one?
    Mine is the Krystal, but if I bought some again I might try the olive oil if I could find it. My dry hair might like the olive oil one.
    But as I've said before, my hair is a product-eating black hole, and when straight, it's collarbone length
    O.K., I get it now. Your hair is twice as long as mine and you use it every day and i only fix mine every other day.
    Do you use beauties use this alone or over or under something else?
    I use a 2tsp to 1 T ecostyler with a quarter size of BRHG over the top. But my hair needs a seriously stupid amount of hold. I'm sure this would have enough hold on its own for many people.
    I'd never even heard of Sally Beauty, but it turns out there's one a 15-minute walk from my office.
    Sally beauty has a cloaking device. You can't see the sally beauty in your neighborhood unless you already know it is there.:) This is a common experience.
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you use beauties use this alone or over or under something else? My 2a hair might really like this!

I use a HE mousse over the eco, plop, and diffuse.
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
    Got it! So it would be more like my SS CEJ. I would or could use my BRHG or SS FHG over it then.
    Thanks!
    CG since 7/1/2010

• Livy85Livy85 Posts: 17Registered Users
    I read this thread and decided to try this out. So I have just come back from Sallys and Its now in my hair, waiting to dry. :)
    2b/c normal hair, high porosity and normal elasticity.

CoWash/leave in: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Curl Activator: SoftSheen Carson Care Free Curl
    Gel: Eco Styler Krystal

I'm a cocoa nut!!!! :lol:

Just started CG and already my hair is looking a lot better!!:love3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Buying gel by the bucket full - that's hilarious. And if LALooks Sport Gel came in a bucket I would buy! A wheelbarrow full would be even better!
    I do use Ecostyler when I'm looking for a softer hold, but I think the regular large tub size will last me quite awhile.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • sweety10189110sweety10189110 Posts: 129Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the Olive Oil one. I really want to try the Krystal and the Protein one but I need to get through my OO one first. But for as much you spent on the bucket full I would have done the same thing lol.
    Mod CG since 4/10
    Products being used ATM
    Wash: KCCC, CJDF, AOGPB
    Rinseout:: Tresemme Naturals
    Moisturizing and Volume, Yes to Cucumbers
    LI: Giovanni DLI, KCKT
    DT: CJH&BDF, CJCR
    Every Day Stylers: KCCC, AOMM, Biotera Curl Cream, CJCCCC-Lite, CJCIAB, CJCQ, LALGs

I, like the other posters, used to use this under another gel. Recently, in the hotter months, my hair has been holding its curl by itself a little better, and therefore I've been using it alone.
    solidgold wrote: »
    Finale, you crack me up! I too don't know how you made it through the 32oz tub in that amount of time. I've barely put a dent in mine and I've had it a year (though I don't use it every day). You should post a picture of you with your bukkit of Eco.

I'll post a picture later on this evening. It's HUGE. I've recently cut back on how much I was using (it was a really, really ridiculous amount), because my hair has been holding its own curl pretty well (and I got a little cut off and more layers added, so it's not as dense anymore). I now probably use about as much as Peda uses, without the BRHG.
    Buying gel by the bucket full - that's hilarious. And if LALooks Sport Gel came in a bucket I would buy! A wheelbarrow full would be even better!
    I do use Ecostyler when I'm looking for a softer hold, but I think the regular large tub size will last me quite awhile.

I know what you mean, I've considered the LALSG one of my HGs - but recently, the Eco has been enough. I don't know if it's my hair just being in better condition, or if it's a hot and humid weather phenomenon. I suppose we'll see come September.

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
  • lovelovelovelovelovelove Posts: 257Registered Users
    OMG finaleofseem, SAME HERE!!
    I go into Sally's, and ask if they have Ecostyler. Finally, we find this huuuuuge bucket of it. I was really hesitant at first (it was my first time buying), but I got it. Now I'm so happy I did, I've been using it since.. april and I still have sooo much. It's gonna last me a year if not more!
    Ca m'a fait de la pé-peine!:love7:
    This stuff is like, the best gel I've tried yet. The crunch scrunched out completely and looked amazing and i even ran through a sprinkler and the gel still held my hair in place when it dried! i was amazed! lol

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Glad you liked it! It's seriously the one hair product that I've stuck with since the beginning of CG. I found it relatively early, and never looked back.

It looks like your hair and my hair have fairly similar properties. Have you experimented with any PTs yet?

Summer Routine
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    no i haven't. not yet. i'm trying to see how my hair responds to products with protein in it. and i dont really know anything about protein treatments.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    I bought a 32oz'er of the Krystal today.Hubby is doing well holding his tongue watching the parade of products. :)
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12
  • GirlSailorGirlSailor Posts: 45Registered Users
    :laughing9: ClickChick - I have been amazed how well my thrifty hubby has been staying quiet as my literal hair 'tool bag' expands! I think he realizes that in the end this is cheaper than my old regime of salon foils and cuts.

I may have to run out and get some Ecostyler to add to the arsenal!
    I got it, too and I LOVE it! I got the Krystal. Used it over SS FHG with good results and used it again yesterday over SS FHG and then a pea size of BRHG for those two spots that drink product. No crunch and was not sticky or tacky at all. Thank for the enabling...um, I mean encouraging recommendation!

Since I have only always had straight hair, my DH is just confused and therefore is saying nothing! I mean, really, after buying silk pillowcases, special towels, tons of other styling products, special shampoo and conditioner, hair dryer attachment all in 30 days, what is the sweet man gonna say about $5 for hair gel?? haha!
    CG since 7/1/2010

On sale at Sally's for $3.49/32 oz this month.
    pedaheh wrote: »
    On sale at Sally's for $3.49/32 oz this month.

Of course it is because I just bought mine Thursday for $4.79!

Hey! You said that you use 1TBS of this with the BRHG. How long is your hair? Mine and yours are both fine, I want to make certain that I am using a good amount! Thanks!!
    CG since 7/1/2010

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights