Im New Here! Some Questions about No Poo

AGirlWithACurlAGirlWithACurl Posts: 44Registered Users
Hi everyone!, so as you know i am new here so im not really an expert on the curly girl method. I decided to go with the method as my hair is starting to look really bad, my curls are not even curls anymore. im going to get a new haircut so i thought i should give the no poo method a try but a bit hesistant about not shampooing my hair. Im from london and their is an organic store and it sells sulfate free shampoos. If i start using that will that be following the cg method or do i strictly have to not use shampoo at all....Organic and herbal shampoos - is that okay for curly hair? Thanks:tongue:
Mixture of 2's And 3a
Medium to Coarse

Low Porosity
Low elasicity
Started CG 5/08/10
Co Wash : OS TT&M
Co :GFR&S
Style : Boots Pink/Garnier Survivor gel/UG gel/Tigi Curl Amplifer (experimenting)

Comments

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    Hi! I am relatively new around here myself, and as such I've been reading a lot about the Curly Girl/No Poo method (haven't started yet). From what I understand, unless you don't use any styling product (and I'm sure very few curlies can get away with that) you have to look at the ingredients in your other products - silicones to be specific.

I tried ditching shampoo a while ago and didn't think it was helping. Then I read that non-water-soluble silicones found in many hair products can build up on your hair if you don't use a "regular" sulfate shampoo. So I think that is why I wasn't seeing any improvement in my hair - I was still using stylers loaded with silicones which weren't getting washed out and were building up on my hair. I have read that some curlies can tolerate silicones while on a no-poo regimen. A lot of people here say you really just have to experiment and see what works for you and your hair.

Also, I don't think an "organic" shampoo is automatically "Curly Girl Friendly". Some could still have silicones or sulfates, but with other organic ingredients. Take the new Suave Professionals line with natural, organic ingredients. I had high hopes for the Almond and Shea shampoo and conditioner but the 'poo still has sulfates and the condish has 'cones. But SOME of the ingredients are certified organic. So, you will probably have to become a label-reader and learn at least which ingredients to avoid.

Good luck to you! :)
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • AGirlWithACurlAGirlWithACurl Posts: 44Registered Users
    Thanks alot. but sulfate free shampoo is cg friendly right. Let me know how the cg method goes for you x
    Mixture of 2's And 3a
    Medium to Coarse

Low Porosity
    Low elasicity
    Started CG 5/08/10
    Co Wash : OS TT&M
    Co :GFR&S
    Style : Boots Pink/Garnier Survivor gel/UG gel/Tigi Curl Amplifer (experimenting)

• beautifulRainbeautifulRain Posts: 189Registered Users
    Some people do what is called a "Modified CG" routine where they use a sulfate-free shampoo occasionally. This is referred to as a "low-poo" and I think it still can be considered "curly girl" in a way.
    3a/b 'curly bob' in the mid-Atlantic. Goal: more 3b than 3a. CG Oct 2010.

Low-poo: Giovanni TTTT, Ion Swim
    Co-wash: V05 Shea Cashmere
    Rinse-out: SalonCare Apples & Pears, Tresemme Naturals
    Leave-in: Cure Care, Ion Moisturizing Treatment
    Stylers: Ecostyler Argan Oil, LALSG, LBLOC, Hold It! Wave Maker, LAL Beachy Waves Spray Gel. Also been using my diffuser more lately.
    PT: Ion Reconstructor
    DT: GVP Balm, Pure Elements Intense Repairing Treatment
    http://beautifulraincurls.blogspot.com/
  • RonnieRonnie Posts: 13Registered Users
    Hi I am new here, like right now new.. I have found this site about a month ago after my hairdresser told me about the Curly Girl books.. I was hooked after reading about curly hair.. What I have been doing is, mostly using conditioner to wash my hair with, but occasionally I will mix a little shampoo in with it to wash my scalp. So far so good. I have had some coloring done to my hair so the hairdresser did use shampoo to wash it out with, but other than that I find the conditioner works pretty well.. I just need to find out what my hair really needs to make it look it's best..

Ronnie :angel8:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file