What do to with Aloe Gel?

NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
Hey all,

I posted this in the 4A section as well.. but figured I'd post it here too and see what kind of responses I get.
My boyfriend recently had a wicked awful case of sunburn.. so we bought a TON of all natural aloe gel from Whole Foods.

I KNOW I can use the left over stuff in my hair with good results.. it's supposed to have moisturizing properties.. right? I can't find anything online that's really helpful. Lots of stuff about hair growth and alleviating dandruff.. but what about just moisturizing my hair?

Anyways.. my questions are:
Can anyone provide me with information or a link to the benefits of aloe gel as a moisturizer?
How can I use it on my hair? (mix it with something, apply it directly, etc)?
What can it be used for? (I.E. Styling, conditioning, etc)

Thanks for reading and (hopefully) responding! lol
BC: May 2008
Hair Type:
3C/4A mix I think
http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png

Comments

• subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users
    i've used aloe vera gel as a hair gel. it gives a nice soft hold and definition to my curls and never left me feeling crunchy or dry. now i think the liquid-y kind that you can drink can be used for other things, but i'm not sure what.
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    The food grade liquidy kind makes a good laxative, subbrock. :p

I like to add mine to my hair like gel. I find it works better if I do it like this.

First: Put on some leave-in (your preferred amount)
    Second: Apply aloe vera gel (the same amount as you would for gel)
    Third: Add some oil to your hair (your preferred amount, I probably use about 2-3 TBSP)

I found coconut oil + aloe vera gel made my hair very, very nice looking. Lots of curl definition, healthy shiny looking but unfortunately, it did shrink more than usual.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • subbrocksubbrock Posts: 8,212Registered Users

and now i know!

it reminds me of one time when one of my friends came over and saw my bottle of castor oil, that i use on my hair. she was like, "are you constipated? because castor oil will clean you out!" LOL
  • mariag002mariag002 Posts: 3,557Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love Aloe Vera gel. I sometimes use it by itself. I mix mine by following this recipe:

This gel was inspired by Aubrey Organics B5 Gel and the very lovely Gypsycurls from You Tube.

Basic Ingredients:
    1. Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel (1/4 cup)
    2. Oil (1/8 cup) - Any kind will do!
    3. Guar Gum (1 teaspoon)
    4. Glycerin

Pour aloe vera gel into container.
    Add oil.
    Add guar gum 1 teaspoon at a time.

Keep the mix thin. Messed up? Like Gypsycurls says, "Just add more aloe vera gel to thin it. You can't mess it up"

I say start out with just a small quantity just in case you don't like it.

Resource: http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/recipes/all-natural-homemad/
    - Maria

Big Chop: 9/23/07
    Relaxer free for almost 5 years!

• NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    mariag002 wrote: »
    I love Aloe Vera gel. I sometimes use it by itself. I mix mine by following this recipe:

This gel was inspired by Aubrey Organics B5 Gel and the very lovely Gypsycurls from You Tube.

Basic Ingredients:
    1. Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel (1/4 cup)
    2. Oil (1/8 cup) - Any kind will do!
    3. Guar Gum (1 teaspoon)
    4. Glycerin

Pour aloe vera gel into container.
    Add oil.
    Add guar gum 1 teaspoon at a time.

Keep the mix thin. Messed up? Like Gypsycurls says, "Just add more aloe vera gel to thin it. You can't mess it up"

I say start out with just a small quantity just in case you don't like it.

Resource: http://public.fotki.com/Chicoro123/hair-care/recipes/all-natural-homemad/

OOoh! That looks interesting!

Hmm.. now I have to figure out where to buy Guar Gum... any healthy food store will do? Where do you get yours? I'd hate to wait and try to order online (I get impatient during the shipping process)

Is this similar to [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink]? That's what it resembles from the pics.

I like to add mine to my hair like gel. I find it works better if I do it like this.

First: Put on some leave-in (your preferred amount)
    Second: Apply aloe vera gel (the same amount as you would for gel)
    Third: Add some oil to your hair (your preferred amount, I probably use about 2-3 TBSP)

I found coconut oil + aloe vera gel made my hair very, very nice looking. Lots of curl definition, healthy shiny looking but unfortunately, it did shrink more than usual.

Thanks! I'm going to try this too! I figure I'll try out different ways of using it and see what happens. :)
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Update!

I applied the majority my coconut oil BEFORE applying the aloe vera. And then smoothed out the extra coconut oil I had between my fingers over my ends. This has helped prevent so much of crunchiness I had the other time. And just as good looking. I can't speak for the shrinkage this time, since I wore it in a high pony not loose. ::)
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file