2a/b wavies - do you go to a special stylist?

clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
I haven't had a haircut since last year and it's time for a trim. I have been seeing the same stylist for five years, but he only knows me as a straight haired girl. He loves a flat iron and a razor and does very precise hair cuts.

Now that I am going natural, I am wondering if I should look for a new stylist? That said, I am a 2a bordering on a 2b, so I am wondering if I even require a special "curly cutter" or if they will look at me like I am crazy (I guess I still feel like a curly imposter). :) I know there is a salon nearby that does Ouidad cuts, but it's not like I have ringlets.

Would love some advice!
Anne
2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
Product: LOVING BRHG!
Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12

Comments

• SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    When I decided to go natural last month, I went to a salon that does Ouidad cuts but got the regular kind anyway. I wanted a place that knew how to deal with curly/wavy hair but didn't think I needed a dry cut, so this seemed like a reasonable strategy. I was quite happy with the outcome.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We sound VERY similar! My natural was board straight hair, same stylist (LOVE her) for 15 years and she had always cut my hair dry, but as a straight haired girl. Like magic, I got waves. She discovered them when I went in for a cut with wet hair. A couple of weeks later I wondered what it would be like to get a "curl cut". Even my stylist said that if I planned to keep the curls (I am SO a curl imposter-thank you products and diffuser!) that I needed a cut for curls.

So, made an appointment with a stylist at a salon that specializes in curls (and are familiar with the Deva method) and I am hooked! I am going to go back every 6 weeks until my texturizing (suitable for my sleek, straight style) is gone. Then I will judge where I will go and what I will do. VERY different ways of cutting and while I am eagerly encouraging my waves to become curls it was worth the time and effort!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I'm auditioning stylists, but picking those either curly themselves or who have come recommended by others with wavy or curly hair. The one I went to last was alright, but I don't think it was amazing, so I am trying someone new with the next cut, based on multiple recommendations, despite that she has straight hair. I hope I am making a good choice. I've met with her and had some brief talks, so I thing she'll be fine.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think it depends on what you want. Razoring seems bad to me. In my household, I stopped cutting the actual curly girl and she & I go get haircuts from Tiffany, who is sort of the uber-curl-cut lady here. But my daughters who are 2a-b wavy I cut their hair myself at home into long layers which works awesomely, and I think better than an actual 'curly cut' for the gentle waves.

I think if you go to your stylist and tell him "I want to be able to wear it wavy, don't want any razoring this time" he should be able to accomodate you.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I haven't switched stylists since going CG, but my haircut was pretty basic before, too: no razoring, no thinning, long layers.

I don't get enough curl consistency to feel good about a dry cut, so for now, my current girl is great.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Oh god. I am never getting razored or thinned ever again. I think that's the devil of tricks for wurly hair.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    Out of curiosity, what will razoring do to wavy hair? From what I can see, it seems to make my ends look sort of disorganized and frazzled.

I found two stylists near to my office that are Deva certified and have glowing reviews on Yelp. Just might have to make an appointment! :)
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights