How Do You Hand Wash Clothes?

FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Registered Users Posts: 839
I bought some clothes from Ann Taylor and Banana Republic and the labels on some of the shirts and sweaters say to hand wash the garments. How do you all hand wash your clothes? What detergent do you use? What do you do?

Do you think it's okay to go ahead and just have them dry cleaned, even though the label says "hand wash." I'm not sure how to hand wash without turning the shirts and sweaters into messes. I'd rather just throw stuff into the washing machine, but a lot of the clothes in stores today say "dry clean" or "hand wash."

The other problem is that the clothes from these stores (J. Crew, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor) are pretty expensive, but they often fall apart after one season. :cwm21: I have to be careful when I'm washing them.
3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I used to wash them in the bathroom sink with a little woolite. I would just swish them around, then let them soak for 10 minutes or so, and then rinse well. If the fabric wasn't delicate, I would roll the clothing in a towel to get some of the water out, and then either hang dry or dry flat on a drying screen.

Now I have a front-loader washer with a hand-wash cycle, and I mostly use that.

You could dry clean them if the label doesn't say not to.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    How do you hand wash clothes? You use the gentle cycle on your machine. Dry clean is totally different; depending on the fabric, you could ruin the garment by submerging it in water, agitating it and/or heating it up in a dryer.

Sorry, but continuing to buy clothing that you consider expensive but that falls apart on you after one season is kinda foolish. Clothing should not "fall apart."

• FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Registered Users Posts: 839
    How do you hand wash clothes? You use the gentle cycle on your machine. Dry clean is totally different; depending on the fabric, you could ruin the garment by submerging it in water, agitating it and/or heating it up in a dryer.

Sorry, but continuing to buy clothing that you consider expensive but that falls apart on you after one season is kinda foolish. Clothing should not "fall apart."

Thanks. I'm exaggerating a bit. I mean that the clothes start to pill up and stretch out. I live in a city where it's difficult to find stores that sell stylish and professional clothing to my age group. We have either the stores I mentioned above, or the designer boutique stores which are way too expensive for me. Ann Taylor and Banana Republic are fairly expensive but their clothes don't seem to last long, but we don't have many other options where I live. I don't like to shop for clothes online.
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    I wash them on delicate in cold water with Woolite, then hang them on the line to dry. (Oh, well, unless it's a sweater. Then I lay them on the sweater rack thingie in the tub and let them lay there for what seems like 15 years 'til they're dry. Luckily I live in a warm climate so I don't have to do that very often!)

I haven't handwashed anything in years.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    Some things that can help your clothes last longer are turning them inside out when laundering, using special detergents for dark colors, drying on lower heat or hang drying, using cold water.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    I put them in separate wash bags (like the kind you put bras in) on hand wash with Woolite in my front loader. Hang or lay flat to dry
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I sometimes dry clean rather than hand wash if it's a delicate fabric or has embroidery or sequins or anything like that, even if it says hand washing is OK.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • PartyHairPartyHair Registered Users Posts: 7,713
    curlypearl wrote: »
    I sometimes dry clean rather than hand wash if it's a delicate fabric or has embroidery or sequins or anything like that, even if it says hand washing is OK.

In my experience, dry cleaning is actually hard on embroidery and beading. I never send anything like that to the dry cleaner.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • cymprenicympreni Registered Users Posts: 9,609 Curl Neophyte
    PartyHair wrote: »
    curlypearl wrote: »

In my experience, dry cleaning is actually hard on embroidery and beading. I never send anything like that to the dry cleaner.

Also, in my experienced, dry cleaners will send all washable clothing to a laundry mat and pay them to do it.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I was wondering this myself the other day when I was hand washing a shirt in the sink. .... another plus to get a front loader.... I don't dare use my delicate cycle on my machine...it's 11 years old...it would probably eat it.

To answer the question...I use either Woolite or Tide free and gentle and swish around in sink for about 30 minutes. I rinse...usually place it in wash machine to spin out extra water. Lay flat to dry.
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    I soak the clothes in a bucket of water with detergent for an hour or two. Then swish around, rinse several times and hang dry. I handwash some of my nicer jeans so they don't shrink at all and last longer.
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Registered Users Posts: 351
    Josephine wrote: »
    I soak the clothes in a bucket of water with detergent for an hour or two. Then swish around, rinse several times and hang dry. I handwash some of my nicer jeans so they don't shrink at all and last longer.

This.
  • lukeanthonylukeanthony Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Fill the Wash Tub Basin or sink with water, tepid/room temperature water is usually best. Add laundry detergent or soap, like the Delicate Wash, and mix to prepare the bath. Submerge the item, use your hands to agitate the water and detergent and soak items for up to 30 minutes. https://vikingclothing.net/
  • jonsonbretjonsonbret Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
    Washing your clothes by hand will use considerably less water than using a machine but unless you use cold water, the energy required to heat the water in your home probably outweighs the electricity usage by your appliance. Washing by hand is therefore a great way to keep them looking new and fresh for longer. https://rankingmom.com/category/washers/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file