3c's Do you cut your hair wet or dry?

miss-taylormiss-taylor Posts: 4Registered Users
Hi everyone Im new here. Im wanting cutting advice for my daughters hair. I believe her hair is mostly a 3c, with some 3b.
I know that curly hair as a rule should be cut dry but I have always cut her hair wet as im worried cutting it dry I wont get it even and then when I do twists/cornrows/individual braids this will be really obvious and look terrible so Im wondering what you think I should do.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    Hi everyone Im new here. Im wanting cutting advice for my daughters hair. I believe her hair is mostly a 3c, with some 3b.
    I know that curly hair as a rule should be cut dry but I have always cut her hair wet as im worried cutting it dry I wont get it even and then when I do twists/cornrows/individual braids this will be really obvious and look terrible so Im wondering what you think I should do.

thanks in advance for any advice.

Well I recently cut mine wet and it was a pain in the but.. because the ends kept curling :shock:... I dunno dry might be easier. I just dont want to straighten it to cut it
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
  • VersaceCrazyVersaceCrazy Posts: 662Registered Users
    I think dry because when it's wet it's hard to tell the length (some strands might curl up more than others), which would make it more difficult to cut evenly.

You'll probably end up cutting more hair when it's wet too.
    http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/

CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!:tshirt:
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    Dry cuts provide the best shape for curlies but only truly talented professional hair stylist should do this.

Wet cuts are the second best and simple for any professional. They should be checking and measuring the hair as they cut (this is just standard for any cut).

And for the "C's get degrees" stylist they will blow out the hair and then cut. This is the easiest way and is very hard to screw up.

Note there is a difference between a haircut and a trim.
  • AmazinnaturalAmazinnatural Posts: 755Registered Users
    Well I've always cut my hair while it was wet, and my cuts always come out quite even. Normally, stylist cut your hair while it's wet, so that's why I cut while wet.

event.png

Still loving my curls and kinks!
    Products I love:
    Ion Dandruff/Seborrheic Dermatitis Tar Shampoo
    Suave Shea Butter Conditioner
    Biolage Scalp Therapy Shampoo
    Biolage Fortify Therapy Shampoo
    Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner
    Beautiful Textures Rapid Repair Deep Conditioner
    Shea butter, olive oil, coconut oil, apricot oil, peppermint oil, tea tree oil, and eucalyptus oil
  • jenny curljenny curl Posts: 1,814Registered Users
    I went to go see Tiffany at her salon Live Curly Live Free back in March and she showed me how to cut my own hair -- dry. This was how she cut my hair as well. So, on the day that I want to trim I just do my normal haircare routine and put my normal gel in my hair, dry, fluff, etc. Then, I can see where my curls fall and so I take the small clumps in sections and trim them individually.

Everyone is different, and I've always had my hair cut wet before seeing Tiffany, but from now on I will continue cutting it while its dry. I was able to take so little off the ends that you can't even notice that I've trimmed it, which is the goal -- atleast for me.
    3b/c :: Fine :: Porous

I:love5: My Hair
  • SassyCurls123SassyCurls123 Posts: 92Registered Users
    I would cut her hair dry, because when it is wet it is wet it is in a different state then when dry.

I cut my hair dry.
    :jocolor:I have been natural all my life :jocolor:

And i am just starting to know my 3c/4a hair better :wav:

Shampoo- Pantene Dry to moisturized
    Conditioner/ Leave in/ - Aussie Moist/Garnier Fructis leave in LOVE THEM!

Sealants: Indian Hemp
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    santini wrote: »
    I went to go see Tiffany at her salon Live Curly Live Free back in March and she showed me how to cut my own hair -- dry. This was how she cut my hair as well. So, on the day that I want to trim I just do my normal haircare routine and put my normal gel in my hair, dry, fluff, etc. Then, I can see where my curls fall and so I take the small clumps in sections and trim them individually.

Everyone is different, and I've always had my hair cut wet before seeing Tiffany, but from now on I will continue cutting it while its dry. I was able to take so little off the ends that you can't even notice that I've trimmed it, which is the goal -- at least for me.

Congrats! I hope you gave Tiffany a great tip because she is a true professional. :D
  • NayaNaya Posts: 922Registered Users
    I trim/dust my ends when my hair is wet. I have an easier time seeing split ends and fairy knots this way. My hair is more "tame" when wet. once dry.. it's big and everywhere! LOL It's hard to see the little things.

As for a cut.. I dry my hair and straighten it. I've only done this twice since being natural. Once per year.
    BC: May 2008
    Hair Type:
    3C/4A mix I think
    http://members.fotki.com/RizadaMinicana
    Not Updated D:

Vegan-ish

s-event.png
  • NaturalflwrNaturalflwr Posts: 8Registered Users
    I trim my daughters hair while it's wet, but prefer to trim mine while it's dry. Her hair doesn't tangle as quickly as mine does, so it's easier to work with.
    [FONT=&quot]Hair Type:
    3C-4A

Routine: Keeping it simple.
    Wash 1-2x's per week with Peppermint Castile Soap. Deep condition once a week. Saturate ends with Suave coconut & coconut oil. Braid at night. Loosen and bun in the morning. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

www.physicalreflection.com
    [/FONT]
  • Kurly QueKurly Que Posts: 52Registered Users
    Definitely dry and blown out! My hair really shrinks up when wet. It is ridiculously curly. So, I have to see exactly what is going on when I'm trimming or getting trimmed.

I have 2 daughters. One is a 3a/3b and the other is a 3c/4a. I cut theirs wet. Mostly because I rarely apply heat to their hair. and they usually wear pony tails or twists, so the correct shape isn't as important to me. I just clean up their ends.
    Mostly 3C with some 3B.
    My favorites are Henna, Castor Oil, Olive Oil, Qhemet and SheaMoisture.
    http://members.fotki.com/kurlyque/about/
  • CSICSI Posts: 140Registered Users
    I've been to the Devachan Salon in NY and they do it dry. It makes a lotof sense to cut it dry and curly if that's how you wear your hair. If you don't wear it straight what benefit would you have to cutting it straight? It makes sense because of the different types of curls on one head. Some dry tighter or looser than others and can be cut accordingly to the style you desire. I love their CG Method and Cutting Techniques. In the Curly Girl book they even show you how to cut your own curly hair.
  • skegeesmbskegeesmb Posts: 63Registered Users
    I've done it both ways. But my hair was longer then so it was easier for me to cut it wet. When it was wet I would simply braid it as evenly as possible and then cut a little bit of the ends.

When I did it dry my hair was the same length so the longer hair canopy was really the only thing being cut so it didn't make a drastic difference when it was curly.
    Natural again 4/2010
    Hair type, kinky-curly 3c-4a type I believe
    medium to low porosity, medium textured, and medium density.

Who knew! Now that I know this, it's time I get started working on a hair routine!
    http://www.fotki.com/skegeesmb

event.png

event.png
  • AdraMierAdraMier Posts: 108Registered Users
    Interesting, I have not go to salon for long long time since I went natural.

I usually trim wet hair with conditioner or deep conditioner after I brush or comb them with deman or thin fine comb (at end of hair). if you are not sure to trim then you have to brush or comb repeatly. That's all I do.
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Posts: 356Registered Users
    wet

its easier for me to see the damage and I dont like handling my hair alot when its dry.
    3c front crown,4a in middle back
    LOIS: OS, thin, dense, cottony

http://dtcp.tumblr.com/"]My Blog
    Hair Regimen

event.png

event.png

event.png
  • Sweet_dreams11Sweet_dreams11 Posts: 103Registered Users
    I cut my hair dry; I don't trust myself to cut it when wet, I might take off more than intended! Plus I get some moderate shrinkage, so cutting hair while wet is a no-no for me.

I think if you feel like you have a good sense of measurement with the length of your daughter's hair in either state, you can cut it in whichever state you feel more comfortable with.
    Mostly 3C with a dash of 3b and 4A
    Low Poo: Elucence Moisture Benefits
    Conditioner: Elucence Moisture Balance
    Leave-in: Curl Junkie Hibiscus and Banana
    Moisturizer: Qhemet Biologics Burdock Root Butter Cream
    QB Amla and Olive Heavy Cream

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I cut my hair wet. What I do is part my hair in sections, comb the section straight down and hold the ends down between my fingers pulling the hair down as straight as possible and snip that way.

By holding it down and pulling it straight it allows me to see exactly how much I am cutting. I've never had any mishaps where I've cut to much. And I am sure it's because I pull the hair down so I can see what I am doing.

I wouldn't advise this to someone that doesn't have a good base haircut though or really lacks experience..I've cut my own hair for over 10 years so I have a lot of experience. I also have a good base shape that I like to my hair so I basically maintain the shape by snipping just the ends about every 6-8 months.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file