Relaxer Changed texture (look feel of hair)?

dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
I am trying to see if this is true for anyone else? I know normally we shouldn't use to word coarse for texture as it denotes the thickness of the strand but it is used interchangably to mean rough in appearance or feeling, so with that said, who here can say that their relaxed hair seemed more coarse or rough than their natural hair? More so in regards to look not feeling, because of course your natural hair should FEEL more moisturized than relaxed hair.

I recently did another trim this time I made sure I got rid of ALLLL of the relaxed ends and went ahead and trimmed some more than that, about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch just to even it up..my hair like transformed, I dont understand why but the relaxed ends were making my hair rough and frizzy! Maybe its just me but I find that odd? Anyway now my hair is really glossy and looks fine and flat when with the relaxed ends it didnt look like that at all.

I had always thought the relaxer had changed my hair texture via apperance, when I was a heat trained natural (not on purpose) and was gettin gmy hair pressed I remember it also had very high gloss to it but when I got a relaxer it became dull (not that this is bad, but just a different texture experience).

Can anyone else relate? Next time I do my hair ill try to take some pics... so you can see wha tim talking about, I cant really do a before / after cause I dont have old pics of me as a relaxed head..

Guess im just confused because in society relaxers are held in esteem to make the hair *look* a certain way and it seemed like it did the opposite for me. I only mainted a high gloss look with a relaxer for about a week after getting it done. Im assuming from the neutralizing wash which is a base and has a tendency to make the hair very slippery (maybe not haha). But I was never able to obtain that first week relaxer look no matter how hard I tried.

You know how basically high shine/gloss = *good* in society and anything the oppostie of that is *bad* even though some peoples hair naturally just doesnt have any gloss at all, which is ok, different properties for different heads of hair..wel anyway thats why I find it strange in my case a relaxer is supposed to make hair look *better* but to some people it seemed to make my hair look *worse* (by the standard of how shiny it was) I remember the day after I got my relaxer a girl came up to me and was like what happened to your hair!? I was like uhh I thought relaxers are supposed to make my hair better (what a foolish thought i Kno wlol I was only 13 anyway!)...

anyway just my experience. maybe my hair is just weird... *shrug*. My point basically is that most people with high gloss hair have high gloss hair whether relaxed or natural right? or maybe i am just wrong in my thinking.. just curious as to what happened between the relaxer in my hair in that instead of altering the curl in my hair it also altered how it appeared and did the opposite of how it normally was when for most, appearance of the hair usually stays the same...

anyway know what im sayin!? :glasses1:
:blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
*Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
*Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:

Comments

• nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    I know exactly what you mean.

If all we had to do was relax our hair and forget about it, they wouldn't be a plethora of hair products meant for relaxed hair to give it shine and luster. Relaxing is really damaging to the hair and damaged hair never looks healthy.

I think the majority of people with shiny and relaxed hair have used some sort of product (serum, etc) to give it that shine.

My hair never looked healthy on it's own when I was relaxed/heat straightening.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
  • dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    OOOOOOOHHHHHH!

Ok thanx!

That makes perfect sense hahaha. That was easy ;-)

*Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
    I thought my hair would never be shiny. But now that I take care of it and am natural, I have nice, natural sheen. :)
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When your hair is damaged the cuticles are raised, which makes the hair feel rough and look dull.

Since going natural my hair looks so much "silkier" than with a relaxer. Funny right?
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    ellepixie wrote: »
    When your hair is damaged the cuticles are raised, which makes the hair feel rough and look dull.

Since going natural my hair looks so much "silkier" than with a relaxer. Funny right?

Yeah exactly!... I was so confused for a second :goofy:

Interesting.. Glad to know I'm not alone.

• princessai16princessai16 Posts: 125Registered Users
    dc05 wrote: »
    ellepixie wrote: »

Yeah exactly!... I was so confused for a second :goofy:

Interesting.. Glad to know I'm not alone.

OMG YES!!! I was just forced into a relaxer (parents) after 7 months of transitioning, and I noticed my natural hair was A LOT SOFTER and did not look so gross and limp when wet as my relaxed hair did.
    My hair is always hard and no matter how many times I condition it, it's still dry and hard . Even deep condish.
    Medium/thick/thin strands
    medium fine front thick back
    deep condish lutrasilk herbal
    moisturize with softn nfree milk protein and olive oil[
    3c/4a half and half ♥
    Love my curls, kinks, coils, napps, corkscrews.
    styler is ORS smooth n hold pudding♥
    Transitioning ended--> forced into relaxer
    If all goes well, will transition in 2012 :)
    Another possible reason why our hair looks much better when natural...

As a natural, I make sure I deep treat and condition my hair on a regular basis. When I was relaxed, I didn't know the first thing about healthy hair maintenance and just relied on poor advice and gimmicky products from hair stylists.

Another possible reason why our hair looks much better when natural...

As a natural, I make sure I deep treat and condition my hair on a regular basis. When I was relaxed, I didn't know the first thing about healthy hair maintenance and just relied on poor advice and gimmicky products from hair stylists.

Hmm yeah... Well see when I was relaxed I actually took very good care of my hair... got me to hip length which is my goal as a natural (straight not curly haha) and I know I can get there for sure and should get there in a faster amount of time.

THe only time I got the silky smooth look was literally right after I got my hair done after that it went away. I just never could understand why the heck it wouldnt stay that way..and well anyway. What you ladies have said makes perfect sense. Damaged hair is probably not going to be shiny...

To be honest I never knew what soft hair was until I became a natural. I have a cousin who has long hair about mbl almost waist length and her hair looks great ends look great but its dry as the sahara! ... but as a relaxed head your hair (I personally believe) will never reach its full health potential. I mean her hair is healthy as a relaxed head but kind of dry and I explained to her you have to moisture moisture moisture to counteract those chemicals... anyway thanx again ladies

• boujoischicboujoischic Posts: 48Registered Users
    Now that my relaxer is gone (newly natural about 3 mos) my hair has a natural sheen it was still pretty soft when I was relaxed but I had to work harder and add products for shine. Lets see if I can get a pic to show up
    th_hair013.jpg
    th_hair005.jpg
    my hair would never have shone like that after just washing and conditioning when I was relaxed
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    My hair was shiny the first week or 2 when I got my relaxer, after that it was dull and it wouldn't stay down. Now I've straightened pieces of my natural hair and it was shinier than my relaxed hair.

http://public.fotki.com/rachoandjaso/year1/flatironedwithflash.html#media
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file