Hydrolized Keratin

BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
Hello ingredient wizards.. hope I can get some help on this. I have a bottle of 'hydrolyzed keratin' which I ordered from Garden of Wisdom over a year ago. I haven't done anything with it because I'm not sure what you use it for or how to use it. Does anyone here know what to do with this stuff? I've googled but I'm not finding the right information.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)

Comments

• runnerchickirunnerchicki Registered Users Posts: 475
    You can use it in just about anything you want...homeade gel, conditioner, body lotion.... you name it.

Just be sure to WELL preserve anything you make with protein. Protein is a microbiological buffet....you gotta keep the creepies from multiplying in there.:rambo:
    FIA: 2cFii

Lady Crispina, Confector of Pharmaceutria and Conjurer of Exquisitus JuJu, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Registered Users Posts: 3,861 Curl Neophyte
    You can use it in just about anything you want...homeade gel, conditioner, body lotion.... you name it.

Just be sure to WELL preserve anything you make with protein. Protein is a microbiological buffet....you gotta keep the creepies from multiplying in there.:rambo:

Runnerchiki, thanks for answering! Well considering what you said, and that my bottle is over a year old, maybe I should just trash it.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,305 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm considering ordering this myself as I want to add it to my Moisture Maniac conditioner.

I'm trying to create my own emollient(not moisturizing) very intensive Protein treatment because I need a very heavy dose of protein at least twice a week. My hair is very fine with little structure or weight and it really needs heavy heavy protein. I get OC extremely easily so I'm focusing on strengthening my hair strands for now.

If you do mix it with anything, let me know how much you are using as I have no clue how much to use....I would probably just dump some in and mix and see what happens...
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

• coilynappcoilynapp Registered Users Posts: 4,233
    Use it like you would silk amino acids or any other hydrolyzed protein. 1-5% of the batch weight. I don't know about adding it to already finished products (I discourage it) because it will cause formulation imbalance and the resulting slush will not be adequately preserved

HTH

ETA: gardenofwisdom.com suggests 0.2 up to 10%
    th?id=H.4940802350254088&pid=1.7&w=183&h=144&c=7&rs=1

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file