2a specific beginner help

hdashnauhdashnau Posts: 2Registered Users
Hey All, Thank you in advance for any help you can provide! This site has been amazing thus far. Im a beginner and have decided to embrace my curls. I'm a newb at being a girl and taking care of my hair in general so its in bad shape (I will cut off the dead ends soon).

I am looking for step by step instructions from people who already have 2a hair for how to make 2a hair more clumpy. I've been looking around and found all sorts of different advice but Im not sure whats best for 2as. I really like the look of dry clumpy beachy waves and really dislike the look of wet looking crunchy thin S spirals. How would my daily or weekly or monthly routine go to get there, what products, how much, what techniques and in what order? Ive read so much about protein and deep condition and CG and no poo and gel and mouse and everything else that Im even more confused than when I started about what should be used and when. So the more specifics about your own working 2a routine the better!

My 2a hair now is probably considered thin, fine and porous. Without any product, it can vary from a flat wave if i just jump out of the shower and airdry to some pretty nice waves/curls if I let it go without washing or combing it for days and the weather is hot.

I am attaching a few pics of how much my hair can vary. I would love to be able to reliably get it to be like in the 4th picture (in order to get it that way I didnt wash it at all for 3 or 4 days and was out in the sun the whole time so it was super oily, matted, and dirty)

Comments

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    If your hair can do #4 when it's oily, you may try more moisture in your hair, and cutting out drying sulfate shampoos. Mine used to be similar to yours, and only really curl when it was super dirty. Now, I use more conditioner, don't use harsh shampoos, and use a gel, and diffuse to set the curl.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Welcome to the wavy board Hdashnau.
    If you haven't yet, look into the Curly Girl method. It doesn't work for everyone, but it works wonders for many of us.
    Before and after CG picture thread
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609
    how to follow the CG method
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

This article explains protein and moisture in hair. It is about african american hair, but applies to all hair.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
    Since your hair is both fine and porous, you need protein. I'd suggest doing a protein treatment. Be sure to follow with either a deep treatment or a moisturizing conditioner. This should help your hair to hang on to moisture.

Check this thread for people with similar hair.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=90412
    Then you can see which products and techniques work for them.

To get clumps try either the ice queen method or the super soaker method. If you have wet looking crunch after your hair is dry, scrunch out the crunch. That usually takes care of it.
    Gotta go.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • hdashnauhdashnau Posts: 2Registered Users
    The board with the people with similar hair was exactly what I had in mind -- thanks for pointing that out and also for getting me in the right direction.

I stopped shampoo and upped the conditioner the last 2 days and already Im starting to see better waves/curls. Ill have to give this protein stuff and other products a try to see what else can happen. Way fun!
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I have 2a hair as well, a little thicker than yours and with a looser wave pattern (pictures here). I'm also just starting and haven't quite phased out my sulfate/silicone products, but I love the icequeen technique that pedaheh mentioned for clumps and definition. So I'd second that recommendation.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    When you start CG I recommend starting with cheap products until you know what your hair likes. If you want to try some of the more expensive ones, the user Kathymack sells samples. Check the fotki in her signature.

CG protein treatments include Aubrey Organics GBP (mild more of a protein heavy conditioner then a PT), ion effective hair care from Sally beauty (mild), Nexxus emergencee, joiko k-pack and the sally beauty generic version (has mineral oil, some people's hair doesn't like mineral oil), and aphogee 2-step (very strong. 2nd step has mineral oil. most toss the second step and use their own deep treatment).

If you decide to get samples, I suggest getting samples of the spiral solutions line. That line of products is popular among fine haired wavies. The spiral solutions protein treatment is supposed to be amazing.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
  • pharaohpharaoh Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    any req's on a volumizing cg mousse?
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users
    I use Ouidad Playcurl Volumizing Foam. It's the first one I tried, so I can't say how it compares, but it works very well for me.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
    I was totally excited about mousse for about 2 days once. :goofy: Anyway, here is a thread on hard hold mousses. I'd imagine hard hold should also mean volume. From reading posts, I think the Joiko whip would be the one to get if it is in your price range. I've only tried a few myself, so I don't have much personal input.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=96199
  • pharaohpharaoh Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That link and the link it sent me too are fantastic.
    Thanks so much. I saw the got2be kinky the other day and was just scared it wasnt cg. im going to pick it up today. he is just not working for me. the tt was just too hard of a hold (was like a gel for me...and i dont like gels) and the tousled seems to really weigh my hair down........

oh ill find something but this list will really help me out!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file