Are you called curly or wavy in real life?

2»

Comments

• cleanteeth68cleanteeth68 Posts: 49Registered Users
    cambed wrote: »
    I've always thought of my hair as curly. I have to admit when I was disappointed when I started reading this site and found out I was only wavy. I felt a little like I'd been demoted. :smile:

Hahha.... Me too!! I've never thought of myself as anything but curly.. but compared to others with true 3/4 curls, mine is somewhat different i suppose! But now that I know what I've got, I understand why it doesn't always look the same as my daughters whose is much curlier than mine!! I feel like I'm not a wimpy curly any more but yet a GREAT wavy:)
  • KeLynnKeLynn Posts: 182Registered Users
    For me it's probably 50/50. Some people don't really "classify" it they just describe it vaguely like, "I do/don't like your hair like that" or "last time I saw you your hair was straight!"

My boyfriend calls it "curly" and when I'm talking to him I tend to say "curly" too just because he does. Like I will say "look how curly my hair is today!" even though it's mostly wavy ;-)
    2b (with some straight under-layer, grrrrr)
    Normal porosity, low elasticity, medium texture

(according to CurlGenie - HUGE surprise, I always thought I had fine hair and my stylists always agreed)

Tried CG for a summer, but it wasn't for me. I don't load up on sulfates and silicones, but I have no shame in using them when I want/need to! Currently loving LOOB.
  • MountaincurlMountaincurl Posts: 571Registered Users
    Always "curly." Especially in a family of straighties :mrgreen: My strongest spirals are in front, so I think it fools people into thinking i'm super curly. ha.
    Wyoming, mod CG since 08/2010
    2cFii (fia), normal/normal, bleached, loves protein.
    Seborrheic dermatitis diagnosed 02/2016
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    jonquil wrote: »
    Curly, even hairdressers. Though my mother once told me my hair had a "bit of a wave" I was a bit :O If I had a 'bit of a wave' it wouldn't take me a hour to straighten.

I tend to correct other people though without thinking :oops: My 8 year old cousin once said that she had curly hair and I blurted out that her hair was actually straight (and it is, no idea where she got that idea). And my sister tried to tell me she had curls and I told her she actually has waves, which she does (it only curls when its really long). People seem really put out though so I try not say anything now days.

I don't think easy-to-straightenness is actually related to tightness of curl. The girl who sits across from me at work has hair that is about 3c - tiny little curly smaller-than-pencil size curls, but she can straighten her hair easily and when it's ironed it looks just like straight hair.

Mine is much, much, much looser looking but pretty much unwilling to straighten, at all. As in even professionals have a hard time accomplishing this. It just isn't flexible in that way.

I meant it in relation to the 'bit of a wave' comment. To me a 'bit of a wave' would be a basically straight with a lose wave or two and very easy to straighten.

But I've never know anyone with really curly hair to find it easy to straighten - I remember girls getting permanent straightening at school and then still having to go over it every morning with their straightener. Not saying you're wrong of course, it would be very nice to have such versatile hair.

I felt demoted when I read this site too but soon realised that really \curly hair wouldn't suit my face anyway :) I'm quite content to admire it on other people without doing the work to maintain it.
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Posts: 297Registered Users
    Always "curly." Especially in a family of straighties :mrgreen: My strongest spirals are in front, so I think it fools people into thinking i'm super curly. ha.

Ah! Me too, haha. Sneaky hair. :tongue5:
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • porque_pigporque_pig Posts: 238Registered Users
    Friends: 90% curly, 10% wavy.

My family: 50% curly, 50% "not curly"

I was on the phone with my dad the other day, and I made an off-handed comment about my curly hair. He said, "Your hair isn't curly!" And whenever I see my grandmother, she asks me, "Why is your hair so curly today?" as if I never had curly hair before. They don't know what to think about my mysteriously wavy head of hair. I think many members of my family think it's just messy and unkempt, and the other half doesn't realize there's any curl to my hair at all (even though I absolutely never straighten it).

Families. They're funny like that.
    :batman: 2b/cFi, low density, normal porosity, high elasticity

Low-poo
    : Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Conditioner
    : Suave Naturals (whatever scent I have on hand)
    Styling
    : Paul Mitchell Round Trip, Tresemme Climate Control Finishing Spray

I'm a hair minimalist: the less time I spend on my hair, the better.

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    porque_pig wrote: »

I was on the phone with my dad the other day, and I made an off-handed comment about my curly hair. He said, "Your hair isn't curly!" And whenever I see my grandmother, she asks me, "Why is your hair so curly today?" as if I never had curly hair before. They don't know what to think about my mysteriously wavy head of hair. I think many members of my family think it's just messy and unkempt, and the other half doesn't realize there's any curl to my hair at all (even though I absolutely never straighten it).

Porque & Jonquil, I think families maybe just don't see the outside, they kinda get an image of what you look like and use that instead of actually LOOKING, if that makes sense.

I bleached my hair when I was about 12 years old, from brown to bright orange, and my mom didn't notice. I said I colored my hair and she looked at it and said "did you add a little red?" I said no, it was brown before, and she said "oh. I thought you were blonde."

I'd not been blonde since I was about 6 but I could likely bleach it up today and she'd not notice, LOL.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Posts: 297Registered Users
    porque_pig wrote: »

Porque & Jonquil, I think families maybe just don't see the outside, they kinda get an image of what you look like and use that instead of actually LOOKING, if that makes sense.

I bleached my hair when I was about 12 years old, from brown to bright orange, and my mom didn't notice. I said I colored my hair and she looked at it and said "did you add a little red?" I said no, it was brown before, and she said "oh. I thought you were blonde."

I'd not been blonde since I was about 6 but I could likely bleach it up today and she'd not notice, LOL.

The first time I straightened my hair, it was after a haircut, so I came home from the hairdressers with four or five inches off, and stick straight hair (My hair straightens easily). My dad didn't mention anything, so I asked him "Hey Dad, notice anything different about me?" He looks at me like a mouse caught in a cage and offers a humble "Did...did you do something with your hair?"

:happy8: Oh Dad. At least he guessed right. But I wasn't hurt.
    My friends always notice when I do something different though. They're like, hypersensitive to it. One day I diffused my hair instead of letting it air dry, and so it go a bit curlier than normal, but not too noticeably so - but as I walk into class my friend immediately pounces on me and comments on my curlier hair (nice comments, of course. We have a lot of curlies in our group of friends). She also notices when I get an inch trimmed off, or when I switch my part to the other side. I told her she should be a detective.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • RitaCelesteRitaCeleste Posts: 40Registered Users
    My hair is type 2c. Most people call my waves curl, as in "Your hair has a lot of curl to it." My sisters are the worst because my hair has the most ah, "texture". I also have a good number of kinky hairs thrown in for fun. Those are "just like pubic hair!" according to some people. That has been said by more than my sisters and it highly annoys me that more people than my sisters would come up with that thought and actually let that thought leave their lips. I've only had my hair straightened once. Its cool to run my finger threw it and know that all that thinning that was done to it did make it thinner if you iron it for an hour! I really just feel like have no hair with it ironed, its not something I want everyday. I'm afraid I'm not much of a people person so I tend to only care what my SO or my sisters think of my hair. Everyone else is just so much chatter that I get to endure because I must appear to really care deeply about their thoughts and opinions. My oldest is autistic, gee I wonder where that came from??? lol
    Pre-shampoo- Vatika Coconut Hair Oil
    Deep Conditioner- Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose
    Conditioner AOHR
    Frizz Control- Aphogee Moisturizing Oil Sheen
    Protein Treatment- Aphogee Keratin 2 Minute Reconstructor
    Hair type 2c
    Goal long, bright red, soft hair!
  • SusieQinSusieQin Posts: 212Registered Users
    Logy wrote: »
    My hair has everything from 2a to 3b. And I never know what it is going to do. One lock is almost perfectly straight and the one next to it kinks up to almost pencil-sized ringlets. EVERYONE calls it curly. The ringlets for the most part are at the front so that's what most people see.

So my hair has "multiple personalities".:confused1: Being new to CG method and with this wild crop of hair, every day is an adventure!

Sounds like my hair! It's always had multiple personalities. lol I've been CG for a year now and it still is, but they are just nicer personalities. LOL

When I was younger I was called wavy, but now people remark about being a curly sue. :P
    CG Since 2010
    Hair Attributes: Mixed 2 with 3A undergrowth & no root curl.
    Fine, Thin, Easily Manipulated, Easily Styled, Easy to Frizz, and Easy to damage.

Favorites: CJ Daily Fix, CJ Rehab, Anything Spiral Solutions, Darcy Botanicals Pumpkin Seed

New Goals To restore my hair after dying it twice in two weeks. Learning more about products found in the stores to fit my tight budget. I'm still working on trying to grow out my hair.
  • CurlyCheerCupCurlyCheerCup Posts: 32Registered Users
    My hair is so thick, in the beginning of the day it will be super curly, but by the end it will be waves. And then there are days...ahh, forget mood rings, I have mood hair too!!
    :icescream:Type:2c/3a botticelli curls with 2b/c at the underlayers and some of the back, very thick and mid-back length, black w/ very few caramel highlights

I kept falling off the cg wagon but finally started properly as of July 2010
    I use tresemme naturals condish, liveclean argan oil and argan oil leave-in condish and curl keeper!:angel9:

Canadian-raised Filipino!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    :cheers:
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Curly 99% of the time. I've only had my hair called wavy by 2 people. One of them was my hair stylist. I've even had people ask if I have a perm.

My hair pattern is s-waves throughout with some corkscrew and a few botticelli curls underneath. My pattern is a lot stronger when it's longer too. I get more compliments when it's longer. When it's shorter, not so much. Only compliments about how they like the length.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People have always called me "curly", even though I'm really a wavy according to the CG typing.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file