Are you called curly or wavy in real life?

pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I'm just curious about others experience By this sites definition and by every classification system I have wavy hair. I have mostly s pattern, lots of whirls, and a hand full of spirals.
In real life, no one has ever referred to my hair as wavy. I hear "I like/don't like it when you wear your hair curly." "I didn't know your hair was curly." No one has ever said "I like/don't like your wavy hair."
Do people in your real life call you curly or wavy? About what percentage of the time do you hear each term?

For me: 100% curly, 0% wavy
http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
Cowash: Tresemme naturals
Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
Curl enhancer: FSG
Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers

Comments

• heidiheidi Posts: 243Registered Users
    pedaheh wrote: »

For me: 100% curly, 0% wavy

Same for me. Never once has anyone called my hair wavy. I've heard "curly" for as long as I can remember so it feels a little odd to be a wavy. I've got a nice mix of waves and curls so I guess I'm kind of both but identify more with the curly side.
    Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
    Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
    RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
    Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People say curly. And...since I have had naturally straight hair for my 45 years of life, people ask me when I got it permed!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Curly. Even my last stylist kept saying curly. Unless I go more natural, then they say wavy. My pattern is a lot looser when I do nothing.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• CurlyPolkaDotCurlyPolkaDot Posts: 1,174Registered Users
    Always Curly, Even when I wasn't CG and my hair was veryy loose.
    2c/3a - M/C - ii/iii
    Countess DuckyDot :duckie: , Keeper of the book of Vegetarianism and Arty Pants, Leader of the Curly Ducks in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Away and might not be back. See me at: http://walkintowhispers.blogspot.com/
  • rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    Curly. I get the "I didn't know you had curly hair" or "I like your curls" comments a lot. My fave is "I wish I had your curls" though. !!!!
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • puppyluvzpuppyluvz Posts: 28Registered Users
    Curly for sure. Even when I wear my hair natural without product and it is looser waves I still get comments like "I love your curls!" Even when I sometimes try to tell people I have wavy hair, they will still refer to it as curly. One time I was like "Ugh, I wish my hair would curl more" when it was all waves one day and my friend was like "What do you mean, your hair is already curly!" I like it though, because I love curly hair.
    *2b/2c wave/curl things
    fine hair, low porosity

I NEED HELP!!!

experimenting to find a routine:bounce:

my hair always seems to look good wet, but as soon as it dries it's all frizz and no curl!
    Cowash: Suave Tropical Coconut, Suave Green Apple

Condish: Loreal vive pro nutri gloss for wavy/curly hair as a condish, GVP conditioning balm

Styling: Totally twisted curl scrunching gel, Got 2 Be spiked up, aussie tizz no frizz gel
  • rferfe Posts: 36Registered Users
    My hair only gets called wavy by two different types of people - 1) people with actual curly hair and 2) hairdressers. Everyone else says curly.
    2B - Fine (but lots of it) Texture, High Porosity
    Not really CG at the moment, might try again once my hair is much longer (i.e. I can put it up if it looks awful
    8-))
  • laynesavedthedaylaynesavedtheday Posts: 239Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah only people with actual curly hair call mine wavy.
  • wavycurly40+wavycurly40+ Posts: 2,017Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Same as the others; in real life, I am curly. Here I am wavy/wurly!

It's amazing the difference in the real world. A woman with, like, 3c hair asked me if I was naturally curly "like her." Swoon!!!!!

Wurly and proud!
    Modified CG since 2008.
  • wavyblondewavyblonde Posts: 1,637Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yeah, I think wavy is only a distinction made by people who are curlnerds. :-P People call my hair curly.

I would call, for instance, Kate Hudson's hair wavy, though. Or Britta on Community's. Like 2a type waves.
    2c/3a with 2b underlayer. Fine, porous. Loves protein. But not hydrolized wheat protein. Yuck.

Wash: WEN Sweet Almond Mint or Pomegranate
    Gels: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Mousse: Tigi Catwalk Curlesque
    Curling creams/gellies: Coffee Coco Curling Cream Lite, Spiral Solutions Curl Enhancing Jelly, Curls Gel-les'c
    SOTC: JC N&S (LOVE)
    http://public.fotki.com/wavyblonde/hair-2010/
  • 09robiha09robiha Posts: 683Registered Users
    Mostly, I get called curly...but thats because have a a fair few 3a spirals at the front and people only really see the front lol. My friend has that really loose 'beachy' style waves so compared to hers my hair is much much curlier.
    Mixture of 2c/3a curls, fine to med texture

:love5: PROTEIN LOVER!!! :love5:

Wishing my hair would be more like this
    > :angel13:
    and less like this
    > :evil5:
  • curlyaniecurlyanie Posts: 111Registered Users
    curly! so flattering :glasses1:
    product staple: suave coconut conditioner
    goal: healthy BSL! :D
    obstacle: haven't figured it out:crybaby:
    :protest:probable suspects
    • hard water
    • varying product use
    • weather-hair chemistry confusion
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    Curly 100%. "Normal" people around me (ie non curl talk people lol) think of wavy hair as being that beachy hair look- think like Elizabeth Swan from the Pirates of the Caribbean type hair, that to them is wavy, and what I have is curly. Granted my hair has gotten curlier as it was cut shorter and I actually do have some ringlets underneath it all, but I still say I have wurly or wavy.

I'm glad someone made a post about this because I was just thinking about it the other week!:icescream:
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    People with straight hair always call mine curly. Curly hair people & more-than-curly sometimes call it curly, and sometimes wavy. I tend to call it wavy.

ETA: My curly daughter thinks I'm deluded and my hair is curly. But I still think it's 2c by this site's definitions.

In real life I think what people call "wavy" is the very loose, rock star waves that two of my daughters have - where over long hair it only makes a few loose waves. So anything with actual spiraling or tight waves gets called curly.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • cambedcambed Posts: 101Registered Users
    I've always thought of my hair as curly. I have to admit when I was disappointed when I started reading this site and found out I was only wavy. I felt a little like I'd been demoted. :smile:
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    rfe wrote: »
    My hair only gets called wavy by two different types of people - 1) people with actual curly hair and 2) hairdressers. Everyone else says curly.

good point! I'd say my hair natural is actually almost straight but I discovered I had wavy hair (much to my surprise) when some hairdressers said my hair had some wave.

So hairdressers calls my hair wavy and everyone else says it's curly. And kids just say, "hey did you take a shower today?" because I like the wet look haha.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• NorthCoastLadyNorthCoastLady Posts: 230Registered Users
    It all depends on what my hair chooses to do. Lately, it's been more curliy then wavy, but I've gotten both at different times in my life. It would be a great side benefit if I had more reliable curls, but sometimes they just don't show up to the job. It's so hard to good help these days. ;)
    2a in the front/sides, 2b in the back.
    Highly porous, dry, fine, low elasticity
    Currently experimenting- I'm on a mission to eventually use all homemade products for my hair!
    CG since July '10.
    co-wash with White Rain Energizing Citrus
    Using coconut oil on ends nightly
    styling with aloe vera gel
    DT once a week with mayo, egg, olive oil.
    Focusing on scalp and hair health first, then length.
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair has everything from 2a to 3b. And I never know what it is going to do. One lock is almost perfectly straight and the one next to it kinks up to almost pencil-sized ringlets. EVERYONE calls it curly. The ringlets for the most part are at the front so that's what most people see.

So my hair has "multiple personalities".:confused1: Being new to CG method and with this wild crop of hair, every day is an adventure!
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Everyone calls my hair "curly" in real life, save one of the paralegals at work. Her daughter has 3b curls, so she calls it "wavy."

I definitely identify as wavy/whorly.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • clickchickclickchick Posts: 29Registered Users
    A naturally curly co-worker (I'm guessing a 3a/b) said "Oh! You have curly hair today!"
    Anne
    2b-ish, medium texture, very dense, low elasticity, light damage
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    Low Poo: DevaCurl Low-Poo 2-3x/week
    Product: LOVING BRHG!
    Routine: condition, comb, rinse, BRHG, clip, diffuse
    Does not like: Plopping, heavy products

Back on the CG wagon - 5/20/12
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    Yeah only people with actual curly hair call mine wavy.

This is what I get too.
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • swell28swell28 Posts: 52Registered Users
    Almost always "curly" even though my hair does not curl like some girls on this site! I have really limp curls and waves and I'm used to seeing so many curly girls on this site I barely consider myself curly. But my straight haired friends consider anything other than bone straight curly.

My one friend who straightens her hair every day wore it "wavy" completely brushed straight just not straightened and my other friend couldn't stop complimenting her "curly hair". Same goes for when someone braids their wet straight hair and it goes crimpy when dry, they all call it curly!
    Someone help me make my hair look like Merida from Brave that's all I want.
  • wavynwild16wavynwild16 Posts: 2,121Registered Users
    I mostly get called "curly." I think people forget there is a whole other classification of hair called waves! Curly is such a general term. Almost everyone uses it. :) My hair did get a lot curlier and I have lots of spirals and curls now, so I guess it makes sense, but I do know lots of wavy-haired girls who are called "curly." My dad just calls me "curly" now as my new nickname, and I have aunts, uncles, and cousins who never knew my hair was whirly saying, "I didn't know your hair was like that. I love the curly look!" It makes me feel good, though, like it's obvious I'm a CG and proud to be one.
    Type 2c/3a with lots of hair and a super sensitive scalp! Med/slightly coarse texture, low porosity and elasticity.

Favorite...
    Low poo: Organix TTM, Essential Wholesale Free & Clean
    RO/LI: TN, GFTN, YTC
    Stylers: EcoStylers, GF Curl Shaping Gel, Aussie Aussome Volume Mousse & Instant Freeze Gel, GFPC, LALNC, La Bella Lots of Curls, Apricot Oil, KMFUM, AO B5DG
    Extras: sugar scrubs, AVG washes, pre-poos with EVCO, oiling scalp before washes, plopping, gelatin PT.
    Mod-CG since 12/1/10! :happy7:
  • sleepyjesssleepyjess Posts: 297Registered Users
    It depends on the day, really. After I wash/air dry my hair, it would fall under most people's definition of curly (though I don't get root curl), but after sleeping on it or taking it out of a ponytail or something, it is definitely wavy. My family and friends have referred to it both as curly and wavy. I guess my curls relax pretty easily into waves...maybe I have lazy curls...or sleepy curls! That would tie in well with my SN, haha.
    Oregon curly!
    Fine hair; weighed down easily; high porosity; prone to flyaways & The Bedhead Look
    2b? (or not 2b? Heehee.)
    Mod-CG since Nov '10
    Cowash: VO5 Calming Chamomile
    RO: Desert Essences Coconut
    Gel: Pantene Curls Gel, LALSG
    http://public.fotki.com/sleepyjess/ (updated: 5.28.11)

"She may be afraid of trees. But when push comes to shove, she won't let you drink the shampoo. No matter how good it smells."

:faroah:Visit me! http://nakedsquid.blogspot.com
  • sfaithjsfaithj Posts: 106Registered Users
    people think i have straight hair IRL. sigh.
    2a wavy. acv is my friend. flax gelee weighs down my hair too much.

cleansers: giovanni, curls
    conditioner: curls
    styling: LA Looks sports gel
  • ValcurlValcurl Posts: 300Registered Users
    curly
    Curl Pattern:2b Texture: medium
    Porosity: med to high Density: med Elasticity: normal
    Lowpoo: (2x/wk) Shea moisture retention/ Mop C
    Cowash: Mop C/ AHRC
    Deep cond: Darcy's pumpkin seed condish/ SS deep
    Leave in: CJ curl assurance condish
    Stylers: SS CEJ, CJ Aloe Fix Lite
    Hair hates: JC rockin' ringlets/CJ CIAB/AG recoil
    Hair loves: super soaking/ protein/ ACV rinses
    mod CG since 7/09 :love7:
  • jonquiljonquil Posts: 94Registered Users
    Curly, even hairdressers. Though my mother once told me my hair had a "bit of a wave" I was a bit :O If I had a 'bit of a wave' it wouldn't take me a hour to straighten.

I tend to correct other people though without thinking :oops: My 8 year old cousin once said that she had curly hair and I blurted out that her hair was actually straight (and it is, no idea where she got that idea). And my sister tried to tell me she had curls and I told her she actually has waves, which she does (it only curls when its really long). People seem really put out though so I try not say anything now days.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    jonquil wrote: »
    Curly, even hairdressers. Though my mother once told me my hair had a "bit of a wave" I was a bit :O If I had a 'bit of a wave' it wouldn't take me a hour to straighten.

I tend to correct other people though without thinking :oops: My 8 year old cousin once said that she had curly hair and I blurted out that her hair was actually straight (and it is, no idea where she got that idea). And my sister tried to tell me she had curls and I told her she actually has waves, which she does (it only curls when its really long). People seem really put out though so I try not say anything now days.

I don't think easy-to-straightenness is actually related to tightness of curl. The girl who sits across from me at work has hair that is about 3c - tiny little curly smaller-than-pencil size curls, but she can straighten her hair easily and when it's ironed it looks just like straight hair.

Mine is much, much, much looser looking but pretty much unwilling to straighten, at all. As in even professionals have a hard time accomplishing this. It just isn't flexible in that way.

And yeah, not really a good idea to mess with someone's self-image, LOL. It doesn't hurt anyone if they see their hair as curly or straight or whatever.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well, this is a blast from the past. I started this after reading yet another comment by a curly saying how they were annoyed when wavies call their hair curly. It was part of a big, semi related thread that I don't want to say the name of, because it was so stupid. Anyway, I was thinking IRL I'm only called curly. I was just curious if this was a regional thing. There aren't many curlies in my area. I was wondering if it was different in other parts of the country with a large curly population. Looks like it is the same way everywhere. A bend in the hair means curly.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • Lion.GirlLion.Girl Posts: 6Registered Users
    I always get called curly.. Although once or twice people have said "curls and waves" which i find is the most accurate description for me since i have curly top layers but more wavy bottom layers :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file