FSG--what's wrong with me?

GoogyGoogy Registered Users Posts: 15
I have tried 4 times now to make my own FSG.

I have read all the theads, looked at all the reicpes.

But I can't get it to strain properly.

If I make it with the seeds loose in the water and then try to strain it, even in a very coarse strainer, it just doesn't pass through.

I tried the tea ball thing, but the gel never firmed up. It stayed watery even after hours of cooking, and then fused my tea ball shut and I had to throw it out.

I tried putting the seeds in a knee-high too, but again the gel never firmed up.

I made it with the seeds loose again tonight, but I had to make it really, really thin in order to get it to strain.

Anyone have some tips and tricks???

Comments

• mimikomimiko Registered Users Posts: 120
    It's supposed to be a little watery, it's supposed to be like egg whites. Usually I put a spoon of the gel in the strainer while its cooking, when I think it might be done, that helps me gauge when I should strain the whole thing. Sometimes if it does end up being more watery it still works great on my hair, but if it's gooey-er it's a lot easier to put in my hair.
    3a/3b Protein sensitive
    Lo-Poo: MOP-C Hydration
    Co-wash TJ's tea tree, suave
    Conditioners: Yes to Cucumbers, TIGI Moisture Maniac
    DT:Ion reconstructor
    Leave-in: Giovanni DLI, Any of my other conditioners.
    Stylers: FSG!, Curl Keeper, HETT mousse, CJ CIAB, Garnier Fructis Pure Clean Gel, L'oreal Studio Silky Curls Gel, Deva Set it Free
    I diffuse and use CHS roller jaw clips
    I'm full Chinese and I never knew how to control my unruly hair until now! I <3 this website oh so very much.
  • willowmina moonwillowmina moon Registered Users Posts: 109
    When I used it, I really never had problems straining it. Try straining it while its still hot. That's all I can come up with.
    Willow Moon
    3a, thin, fine, porous
    Tresemme Radiant Volume for Co-Wash
    Suave Mango Mandarin for Co-Wash
    Rosehip Seed Oil 5 drops after Co-Wash
    White Rain Hair Spray when hair is damp/dry
  • CeriCeri Registered Users Posts: 142
    Nothings wrong with you! :smile: It's never going to "firm Up". Calling it Flax Seed Gel is misleading. It's really not a hair gel like anyones used to. It's much more watery than anything you've probably ever put in your hair. But it works! If you really can't stand it being so watery and have to have it more gel like, you can use a thickener after you've strained it.
    3a/3b Medium Texture & Normal Porosity
    Modified CG since November 2009
    Low Poo - (Once in a while) True Polaris Solid Shampoo Bar
    CO-wash/Condish - (I'm lazy, one step only!) True Polaris Solid Conditioner Bars
    Styling - True Polaris Truly Curly Styling Gel I add 'cones in summer Truly Frizz Free Hair Serum
    I plop and defuse daily

c_band2.gif I love MUSE
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Registered Users Posts: 5,491 Curl Neophyte
    Its very runny/watery when you make it. To thicken it you have to use a thickener like Xanthan Gum until it's a consistency to your liking.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Registered Users Posts: 70
    honestly, I have yet to have the watery problem. I think the consistency is perfect. I use bottled water, it's called Metro mint. I love the orange mint kind. I add a bit of aloe vera gel, and it is perfect.

To strain it, I use a very fine metal mesh strainer. I pour it in, Very hot, and put the seeds back in the pan, add a little MORE water and keep going back and forth til there is no more gel substance to drain.

I d k how to help. I hope someone can.
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.
  • Sweet CurlySweet Curly Registered Users Posts: 32
    Are you using the dark flax seeds or the golden ones? I've found the dark ones strain easily (and the gel works just as well for me). I have a horrible time straining the golden flax seeds.

I prefer my gel more gel-like than runny so I cook for a long time and the dark seeds still strain just fine.
  • springlilyspringlily Registered Users Posts: 59
    honestly, I have yet to have the watery problem. I think the consistency is perfect. I use bottled water, it's called Metro mint. I love the orange mint kind. I add a bit of aloe vera gel, and it is perfect.

To strain it, I use a very fine metal mesh strainer. I pour it in, Very hot, and put the seeds back in the pan, add a little MORE water and keep going back and forth til there is no more gel substance to drain.

I d k how to help. I hope someone can.

Googy, I was having the exact same problem. I would try to strain it, but nothing would come out. I ended up throwing it all back into the pot and adding more water, boiling and stirring it some more (to "cook" it some more), and then attempt to strain the second time. Try it that way. Usually, it will strain for me the second or third time I do this. The consistency is like egg whites.

Dannysgirl777, do you then freeze and re-use the flaxseeds? Or use fresh flax seeds everytime?
    Wave, fine, medium texture, color-treated, porous
    Lo Poo: DevaCurl Lo Poo
    CO Wash: VO5 Kiwi Lime
    Condish: Tressemme Naturals Moist and GCP CB
    Leave in: (experimenting but like KCKT)
    PT: (experimenting)
    DT: (experimenting)
    Styling Combos: SS CEJ add SS FHG, KCKT and KCCC
    Experimenting with: Suave Captivating Curls Mouse
    Techniques: Icequeen, Smasters
    Hair Dislikes: glycerin!!
  • daneloverdanelover Registered Users Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
    tried homemade fsg for the first time last night and i'm SO impressed with it...my hair looks and feels so great...my family commented on how curly it was this morning...i found it strained quickly and easily when i poured the hot mixture through a sieve...easy peasy...the only thing i did different was add a vitamin e capsule to the finished product...

it's hot and humid here and the fsg was the only product i used today and my hair still looks great...
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Registered Users Posts: 1,781
    I've tried the tea ball thing and it didn't work. It never got to the consistency it was supposed to. It stayed like water, maybe a tiny bit thicker.
    (The consistency is supposed to be like egg whites, so it is quite runny compared to actualy gel).

After I put my flax seeds in the water I'll stir it every so often until it starts to bubble and foam on the top. Then I stir it almost constantly until the seeds are suspended in the water (about three or so minutes, around 6-8 minutes total from turning the stove top on until I can strain). I immediately strain using an 8-inch mesh strainer. Then I take the seeds and put them in a nylon sock and use tongs to squeeze even more gel out. After this I throw the nylon sock into a sock bag and in the washer and wash the pot and strainer. This gives the FSG time to cool down a little. Then I put my additives in and mix with a whisk. Bottle it and refrigerate. Voila! Nothing to it. I've got it down pat I've made it so many times. The first few times it will take you longer.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • LearningCurvesLearningCurves Registered Users Posts: 2
    I too found it really hard to strain but the stuff is sooooo worth it once your done. Try to put it in the strainer and stirring it through the mesh. It'll start slow but get faster as you go along, at that point you can even leave it for a while and it will slowly strain on it's own.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file