Rodarte For MAC Stirs Up Some Serious Controversy

*Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
http://www.styleite.com/beauty/rodarte-for-mac-controversy/
Several photos surfaced Thursday from the highly anticipated Rodarte for MAC make-up line, set to launch September 15. Our expectations were met when the leaked photos contained an array of “muted feminine” shades that stayed true to the Gothic beauty style most known of the brand.

Everything from the packaging details, like the veined eyeshadow and Rodarte logo imprint, to the inventive shade names like “Sleepwalker,” struck our fancy. Except for one thing — are non-pale beauties excluded from this collection?

We went through the photos released byHint Fashion Magazine and the list of shade and product details Temptalia offered up, hoping to find some undead colors that would suit someone who is perhaps darker than, well, white.

Most of the shades were described with adjectives like “pale,” “grey,” “mauve, and “taupe” — all of which would make a naturally tan woman, like myself, turn into a stone statue. But there was a flicker of hope in an eyeshadow described as “Black with red, pale blue, and silver veining.” But until a photo of the whole collection becomes available to the public, I can’t help but imagine a whole collection that simply doesn’t cater to my skin tone.

Coming from a make-up brand that seeks pride in color diversity for all skin tones imaginable, the result of the collaboration is an usual one. Past collaborations with designer brands like Alice + Olivia, DSquared, and Heatherette had variety in color and tone, which no doubt made them successful.

While having that name Rodarte on the package will stimulate blind buys from the brand’s worshipers, asking people to spend $25 on a beauty powder that works on only one skin tone probably won’t.

Here are photos from the line. Would these shades suit your skin tone?

[Ed Note: It turns out that Rodarte was also rather thoughtless in their naming process, calling two of their polishes "Juarez" and "Factory". Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky points out , "Juarez is an impoverished Mexican factory town notorious for the number of women between the ages of 12 and 22 who have been raped and murdered with little or no response from police." Where do these women work? In the border town’s factories, which are called maquiladoras, and most have disappeared on the way to or from work.]

I don't use MAC at all and never have because I never liked it.. but I heard about this on YT concerning boycotting MAC over this and I thought someone may be interested around here.
tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Registered Users Posts: 13,737 Curl Connoisseur
    oh geez... spare me.....

MAC has had many a collection in the past that seems to be all cool colours or all warm colours.

Hello Kitty and Fafi weren't exactly suitable for anyone who doesn't wear copious quantities of pink!

they have so many collections coming out these days since Lauder Corporation took over that the novelty of them has long worn off and there will soon be another collection out that is all browns.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • *Marah**Marah* Registered Users Posts: 8,032 Curl Neophyte
    I personally don't know enough about MAC to say one way or the other because I don't wear the product and never have..but when I was watching some of the YT videos.. they seemed more to be upset by the fact that MAC being a partner with Rodarte that made a collection inspired by some town where a lot of crimes against women are perpertrated..and not neccessarily any issues with the colors per se but the names that are inspired by this town...

I guess they were more concerned with this part:
    It turns out that Rodarte was also rather thoughtless in their naming process, calling two of their polishes "Juarez" and "Factory". Jessica Wakeman at The Frisky points out , "Juarez is an impoverished Mexican factory town notorious for the number of women between the ages of 12 and 22 who have been raped and murdered with little or no response from police." Where do these women work? In the border town’s factories, which are called maquiladoras, and most have disappeared on the way to or from work.

In my personal opinion that should have been more the focus of the article... but I just thought I would pass it along..people can take it or leave it.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • CurlyminxCurlyminx Registered Users Posts: 5,581
    I think it just shows how clueless some companies are at being social aware.

I don't understand the color Factory.

Really? Is that one of the terms the people at MAC put on a list of things that remind them of Mexico?

WTF.

And I think it was just really dumb on their part to name a pretty little pink color, Juarez.

Is there a color called Narco-Coyote?

WTF.
    tumblr_mk2chrdnQe1qzwi58o1_500.gif
    Mix of 3s, thick, coarse, medium porosity

Current hair styling technique: rake with a scrunch at the end. (works with my coarse hair)

http://public.fotki.com/curlymix/
    pw: curls

Known HGs: KCCC, homemade fsg, honey

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file