CurlTalk

finger combing verses wide tooth comb

Hi all,
I was wondering when your detangling with co in your hair, which do you prefer wide tooth or your fingers?
I've been using my fingers but , was wondering if I should try the comb? any suggestions?
yogawaves, formerly known as yogagirl
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• curlsofnycurlsofny Posts: 478Registered Users
    I find I get better definition when I use the comb with the conditioner; I also do not scrunch in products (I do more of a rake-in), so this works for me.
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    I use a comb in the shower, and I comb my styling products through as well.
  • KaiaKaia Posts: 8,815Registered Users
    I usually use a comb, and sometimes a brush in the shower.
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    When you use the comb, do you start from the bottom up or (regular way) top down?
    I read once to start from the bottom up but, not sure how??
  • SuZenSuZen Posts: 1,595Registered Users
    Bottom up, definitely. If you start at the top it just makes the knots worse.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    yogagirl wrote:
    When you use the comb, do you start from the bottom up or (regular way) top down?
    I read once to start from the bottom up but, not sure how??

You start a little ways up from your ends, comb down, if you come across a tangle I like to restart a little ways up from the tangle and do that until it comes out. Then you just keep starting a little ways up until you get to the top.

I also find if helpful if length permits to hold the hair in my other hand up alittle so I don't pull on the scalp if I hit a tangle
  • SmallFrySmallFry Posts: 614Registered Users
    I actually did not vote because I do both. After applying my conditioner, I let it sit for a minute then I fingercomb, then I use a wide tooth comb. I guess the fingercombing gives my a headstart on detangling.
    Lotsa 3c curls
    Curly Journey Album
    Updated 2009 and 2010 pics
    Hair Journal/Products

It's not about having what you want, it's about Wanting what you have
  • medusahairmedusahair Posts: 3,515Registered Users
    Since I condition daily I don't really get tangles so I just finger comb.
    2c/3a?
    Low porosity, medium texture.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FMedusahair%2F" class="Popup

If it smells good put it in your hair, if it tastes good spit it out!
  • yogawavesyogawaves Posts: 368Registered Users
    thanks for participating, sounds like it's worth a shot! I'll try it next time!
  • KurleeKurlee Posts: 1,354Registered Users
    I use a wide toothed comb. I use it when I have conditioner in my hair in the shower and also when I have put leave-in in it when I style my hair. My hair gets too frizzy if I don't and it looks much shinier and better when I do comb it. I probably get better clumping too.
    Finger raking/combing doesn't do anything for me.

• JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I use my fingers. Lately I have discovered the reason my curls would be stringy one day and not the next. A wide tooth comb, even in the shower, made my curls very stringy. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • JaxieJaxie Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    I use my fingers. Lately I have discovered the reason my curls would be stringy one day and not the next. A wide tooth comb, even in the shower, made my curls very stringy. ~~jax
    2c or 3a Cut most of my hair off in July '12 and am working on regrowing it.
  • jcejce Posts: 507Registered Users
    I use a wide tooth comb in the shower, for my leave-in, and also to comb the gel through my hair. If I don't comb, I don't get even distribution, and my curls don't look as nice. Like Kurlee, I think I get better clumping when I comb too.
    3b/c normally, 3a/b in the winter

• The ScientistThe Scientist Posts: 239Registered Users
    I prefer a wide-tooth comb in the shower. I usually use a seamless comb, so it's extra-gentle, after I put my conditioner in and finger-comb a bit. However, I left my comb at my parents' house when I was there for Thanksgiving, so I've been fingercombing ever since, and I REALLY miss it now :( :lol:
    2c/3a modified CG
    HG product: AG Recoil... Searching for others...
    HG method: pixiecurl method of drying. I'll never go back!