2C/3A hair, trying to embrace my curls, need help with products and techniques

anshu7anshu7 Posts: 6Registered Users
So I have been oscillating between hating my hair and straightening it. Now I am considering bringing out the curls after seeing the pics of the lovely ladies here. Please point me in the right direction towards what products I need and the techniques too. My hair is 2c/3A (thick, coarse, wavy, frizzy and veryyyyy dry) I think I would need something to smooth it down so it doesnt look frizzy and need some shine too. Here's what I have at present:
[buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Balancing-Conditioner-p-39.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=elucence-elucence-moisture-balancing-conditioner]Elucence Moisture Balancing[/buylink] Shampoo
Elucence Moisture Benefits Conditioner
L'Oreal Mega Moisture Creme
Kerastase Sublimateur Jour leave in
Coconut oil (extra virgin, unrefined, cold processed)
Tresemme Heat Tamer
Paul Mitchel Super Skinny Serum

Ducray Elution shampoo (ingredients: Water (aqua), sodium laureth sulfate, PEG-7 glyceryl cocoate, polysorbate 20, cocoglucoside, glycine, lauryl betaine, propylene glycol, zinc gluconate, ceteareth-60 myristyl glycol, disodium edta, fragrance (parfum), glycol palmitate, glycol, stearate, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, methylisothiazoline, panyhenol, piroctone, olamine, sodium hydroxide.)

FWIW, I tried a protein treatment and it turned my hair into straw:(

What do I need? And what do u think of the shampoo I posyed ingredients of? Co-washing is not for me:(
Sorry, too many questions but I am still trying to get down to a routine!

And what haircut to get? Layers? BSL length hair

Thanks in advance and have a great hair day:)

Comments

• lodylody Posts: 334Registered Users
    Hey! Just wanted to let you know this is lodschmod from MUA :) I hope the ladies here can help you out! :D
    3a in Paris
    I use:
    Garnier Ultra Doux conditioners
    High in glycerin conditioners
    As much gel as possible
    Testing out flax seed gel
    Plopping, for around 30 minutes
    Pixiecurl drying
    Pineappling

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Well I can see that the shampoo has a sulfate listed as the second ingredient. Are you wanting to go CG (or mod CG)? I don't follow the CG method completely since I low poo (use shampoo but without sulfates or silicones) and don't co wash very often.

I'm not also entirely sure the products you're using are CG either.

Your hair probably felt like straw after your protein treatment because you need to follow it with a deep treatment. I like using CJ Curl Fix for my PT and CJ Rehab for my DT.

I'd do one last sulfate shampoo and then try to find a low-poo (like Giovanni's TTTT or 50:50). Can you list the ingredients of your conditioner?

My hair is (was) similar to yours. I found that I needed a very moisturizing conditioner. I also need to use curl enhancers before gel because I have a weak wave pattern.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• anshu7anshu7 Posts: 6Registered Users
    @ lody: *waves hi*
    @ asiarunner : To be honest, I would really prefer not going CG because I am in India and it would be very hard to get hold of sulfate free and cone free products here. Online ordering gets to be expensive.

I did a deep conditioning treatment after the protein. It was fine after that wash but after the next wash, my hair poofed up and became all frizzy.

Ingredients of L'oreal Mega Moisture Creme: Water, Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Amodimethicone, Cetyl Esters, Sodium PCA, Fragrance, Methylparaben, Trideceth-12, Sunflower Seed Oil, Chlorhexidine, Dihydrochloride, Cetrimonium Chloride, Yellow 5.

Which moisturising conditioner and curl enhancers work for u?

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ah ok. I might not be able to be much help then because I really try to limit the sulfates and silicones I use. I found that my hair is pretty dry naturally so I use GVP conditioning balm (Matrix Biolage generic version) or Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition plus some that I buy online.

My favorite curl enhancers I also buy online. My absolute favs are [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG re:coil[/buylink], [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-CoffeeCoco-Curl-Creme-p-488.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curl-junkie-coffeecoco-curl-creme]CJ CCCC[/buylink] lite and Mop-C defining cream. I also like flax seed gel which is easy to make but I'm lazy so I buy mine from etsy, haha! Do some searches for the flax seed gel and it would be easy and cheap.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi Anshu-
    You have already found my favorite moisturizer. Coconut oil. I use it as a pre poo (or cowash) treatment. You want to leave it on at least 10 minutes, but I get my best results by adding it to dry hair and leaving it on overnight.
    I've liked the two conditioners asian runner mentioned. I also like renpure organics. Since you use cones, people really like like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and Aussie moist. Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and rose is very moisturizing and is really popular.
    I was looking a heat protectors today and I think I will get the tresseme one when I get one. The beauty brains blog says to avoid alcohol as the first ingredient and the tresseme one passes the test.

Most people like long layers in their wavy hair. Other then that, I can't give good haircut advice.

Another curl enhancer people seem to like is aloe vera gel. commonly used brands are lilly of the dessert and fruit of the earth. I'd guess any mostly aloe brand would work as a curl enhancer.
    Do you get the brittish boots brand in India? (total guess) I know they have a curl cream that many people get excited about. My personal experience with curl creams is pretty limited.

What is your hair like? Thick or thin? Fine or coarse?(diameter of each strand) I'd guess if you have been straitening you hair you probably have some damage and may want to use at least some protein.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • MyrnaMyrna Posts: 2,472Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    but its nothing like yours. Mine weighs down easily, so I stay away from silicones, which work for a while and then they dont. I have yet to find a curl cream that works for me unless you count Redken's Ringlet 07, and I am not sure about that either...I find that lighter products work better for me, and no offense to anyone here but I would never be CG. I wash my hair every day.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file