Gel questions

plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
I think that gel might be weighing my hair down too much. It holds the curls though. I've noticed that when I use less gel, I get more volume. Less definition, but more volume. So I'm thinking I need to find either a curl cream with more hold and use no gel, or find a different gel that will define my curls, hold them, but not weigh down the volume. Maybe my problem isn't gel itself, but how producty it is. Thoughts? Am I asking the impossible?

I should note what I have:

Curl creams...CFT Creme Brule (just a wee bit of sample left) and Body Shop Cottonseed Curl Boost. I do have a non-CG one from Purology, and Live Clean Argan Oil Smooth and Shine, but that isn't a curl cream in my book, even though it is creamy.

Gels...CFT Goddess Curls Gel (again, just a wee bit of a sample left), wee bits of SS CEJ and FHG, small sample of Body shop Wheatgrass Fixing Gel (which works better if I use it over lots of the BS CCB and not much gel), a sample bottle of BRHG (which left me producty yesterday but it could have been something else) and some HEBE which I haven't used much of lately because of the other more natural ones. I do have some FSG I made a week or so ago...not sure whether to classify that under Curl Creams as it isn't really a cream, but is an enhancer, but it does offer some hold too. Oh, and I have a small sample of King of the Mods from Lush, which is a light hold gel/serum that is creamy...not sure where to put that one either.

The 2 CFT products due tend to work well together and I get minimal crunch, and I'll probably pick them up when I'm in the states again for my brother's wedding in September. I haven't used the SS CEJ and FHG since my findings, because I only have a small amount of each left, and no money to order more. Plus, I'm hoping to try them with a sample of the upcoming cleansers to see how it all works together (doing the same with the last of my Caitlin's Condish too).

Has anyone tried the Druide gel or one of the Live Clean ones? They have a spray one in the Purple Jewel line for waves and curls...might that be a better oprion...a spray? At this time, I'm looking for ground options, not too expensive...and I'm in Canada, so I don't have Target or Whole Foods or Trader Joes. I do have regular drug store chains here, Wally World, and some local natural/health oriented stores, though many drug stores and supermarkets carry a small selection of the mainstream natural brands (Giovanni, Kiss My Face, Nature's Gate, etc). Also salons, like Chatters, has lots of products. I don't want any cones, even the a-cone. I have a mousse, my husband's actually, with the a-cone. I didn't find it all that great.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Comments

• finallyacceptingcurlsfinallyacceptingcurls Posts: 44Registered Users
    I love HESMU spray gel. I still get hold and definition but without a ton of weight! Hope that helps!
    Trying to get back on a more CG friendly routine
    2C thick hair...porous
    Deva Low Poo
    One C
    GF spray gel
    FOTKI has not been updated! I will as soon as I get around to taking some pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/finallyacceptingcurls/
  • solidgoldsolidgold Posts: 1,485Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love HETT mousse (no a-cone) and LALSG. I use both independently and together! The mousse gives a little hold and lots of volume. The LALSG is the best gel I've found--a little goes a long way to provide enough hold and definition without weighing me down.

HTH!
    Knightess Firmus Aurum, Maid of the Mitten, Slayer of Dissertation Dragons in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    2b/medium; CG 5/20/09
    Wash, co-wash, co: Queen Helene Royal Curl Shampoo / Conditioner, Kiehl's Amino Acid Shampoo / Conditioner, Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix, Tigi MM
    Stylers: Sally's Neutral Protein Filler as spray, Queen Helene Royal Curl Creme, LALSG
    Techniques: Plop and Diffuse
    Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1368664&postcount=97
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    The garnier frutice curl shapping spray gel has pretty good hold. I've heard people say it doesn't weigh them down.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I definitely second Solid's recommendation of LALSG, but I need a lot of hold. If you don't, the FHG from SS may be good, because I found it to be really light (didn't weigh my hair down). It just didn't have enough hold for me.

It's been forever since I've used a mousse, but I remember loooving the HETT when I first started out, partially because it gave me great volume in the dead of winter.

Best of luck in your search!
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • stefflynhstefflynh Posts: 410Registered Users
    My hair is very picky (fine so gets weighed down easily) with gel-has to be super light. I recently found HETMS (tousle me softly) spray gel (HETT is too drying for me). I love their spray gel. Like the SMU it is a fine mist & sprays where you want it to go. My hair's been doing a really great thing for the past 2 weeks. I feel I found a routine & this is included in my products.

Anyway. The HETMS is great. I actually used 1\4 of the bottle, then put some filtered water in it to cut it even more (it's a strong hold just like HESMU). I have only seen this spray gel in one Walgreens near me, so I'm thinking it may be new? I have the mousse (which is 'flexible hold'), but the spray gel is a dab more hold & still has that lovely lavender scent!

Phew...lengthy answer, but hope it helps!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]properties-3 a\b, very fine, medium density, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    low poo- GTT, 50\50 or whatever I have at hand
    RO- CJBCS, TNVC, Suave Coco
    Stylers-FSG & BRHG
    PT (twice a week)-CJRM, Ion Reconstructor, SSPT
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Thanks all. I think the way for me to go right now is spray gel. If I had more uses left from the SS CEJ and FHG samples, I'd retry them with my current routine. I liked them before, but that was before I found out what my hair was like curly with volume. I think they'd be alright with my current routine though. But like I said, I only have a small amount left, and I am not in a position to order anything right now, as much as I want it all. SS (and CJ) is on my birthday wish list though! :P

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file