Am I missing something? Hair grows, but doesn't grow.

harley.quinnharley.quinn Posts: 7Registered Users
I've been struggling with my hair and I'm trying to grow my hair long. I think my hair is 3c. I attached a pic. Here's the thing though: A year ago my hair in it's natural curly state was above my shoulders, and when I flat ironed my hair it was below shoulder length. Now, a year later, my hair in it's natural curly state is still above my shoulders, but when I straighten it it's down my back past the middle. So what the heck? My hair has grown almost a foot in the last year, and this is obvious when it's straight, but the length is only about 1/2 inch longer when my hair is curly. How is this possible? Does this mean that if I grow my hair another foot it will still be the same length curly? I try to stretch my curls out while I'm styling, but is there something else I'm not doing? How do I get my hair to be curly and past the shoulders without extensions? Is it even possible? How do other 3c's do it? I'll also attach a pic of how I want my hair to be. Thank you for any help!!!

1st pic- my hair
2nd pic- how I want my hair to be

BTW- I absolutely hate twists and braid outs, so please do not suggest that. I want to keep doing wash and goes (that is a wash and go in the pic). Thanks.

Comments

• BekkaPooBekkaPoo Curl Neophyte Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've been struggling with my hair and I'm trying to grow my hair long. I think my hair is 3c. I attached a pic. Here's the thing though: A year ago my hair in it's natural curly state was above my shoulders, and when I flat ironed my hair it was below shoulder length. Now, a year later, my hair in it's natural curly state is still above my shoulders, but when I straighten it it's down my back past the middle. So what the heck? My hair has grown almost a foot in the last year, and this is obvious when it's straight, but the length is only about 1/2 inch longer when my hair is curly. How is this possible? Does this mean that if I grow my hair another foot it will still be the same length curly? I try to stretch my curls out while I'm styling, but is there something else I'm not doing? How do I get my hair to be curly and past the shoulders without extensions? Is it even possible? How do other 3c's do it? I'll also attach a pic of how I want my hair to be. Thank you for any help!!!

1st pic- my hair
    2nd pic- how I want my hair to be

BTW- I absolutely hate twists and braid outs, so please do not suggest that. I want to keep doing wash and goes (that is a wash and go in the pic). Thanks.

Your hair is pretty! I'm hoping to get where you are but I'm still just above shoulder length still.

Anyways I think you're just experiencing normal shrinkage. When my hair is wet or straight I'm at arm pit length, but it shrinks up 50% to above shoulder length. Very curly hair hides length in the coils of the hair, so it's usually twice as long (or more) than it appears.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Curl Neophyte Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Def shrinkage. You can use a gel or heavier leave in to give it some weight. But your hair is pretty, I concur!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    yea its shrinkage.

i don't how to fix it though,
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • harley.quinnharley.quinn Posts: 7Registered Users
    Thanks you guys. If it's shrinkage, then how do people grow their hair so long? I guess I'll have to wait years and years.
    Thanks you guys. If it's shrinkage, then how do people grow their hair so long? I guess I'll have to wait years and years.

when I find that out, I'll let you know. I wanna know too!
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    i agree its shrinkage. in terms of growing it long.. not sure but an idea, perhaps it gets to a certain length and then the weight of it pulls the curls out more and produces more length and less shrinkage. just an idea though
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • Robin-in-FLRobin-in-FL Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,731Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is VERY pretty! Sorry you aren't getting the length you want but it looks really good how it is.
    2c / C / iii (FIA)
    Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
    Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
    Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
    Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
  • biocurlsbiocurls Posts: 4Registered Users
    My hair is only about shoulder to apl length when stretched (chin length unstretched) and is a very tight 4a, but I found that I can stretch it a little further (up to 2-3 inches) by using flax seed and/or aloe vera gel (over a leave-in and maybe a little oil) or by twisting in like 4-6 big twists, letting dry completely, taking out, and then slightly re-moistening to get the curls to come back. I know some people also use a blow dryer to stretch the roots or shingle with conditioner to weight it down (one of my friends with 3c, waist length hair does this everyday).
    Hair Type: VERY fine 4a & tangly 2c at crown (imagine velcro's two texture-on my head, ugh :banghead:)
    Lengths: APL stretched, Ear length w/condish weighted curls, 2in Fro
    Natural: since 2007, no BC-relaxer trimmed or broke off in braids :eek:
    Regimen: Mostly WNGs, twists, stretched buns
    Henna: Atul 100% Henna, 2-4 weeks
    Conditioner: EO, Atria Rosemary condishs
    Deep Treatment: AO HSR & GPB, honey/oils in condish
    Oils: SAFFLOWER:love5:, castor, shea butter, coconut&olive
    Styling: FSG

That's the key: lots of patience and care. The folks with long hair didn't wake up one day and just find that their hair was flowing down their backs.. they had to give it time to let it grow out, just like us. Of course some people's hair grows like a weed, whereas mine grows like a cactus, so it'll be many years before I hit BSL.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
    BekkaPoo wrote: »

That's the key: lots of patience and care. The folks with long hair didn't wake up one day and just find that their hair was flowing down their backs.. they had to give it time to let it grow out, just like us. Of course some people's hair grows like a weed, whereas mine grows like a cactus, so it'll be many years before I hit BSL.

so....what about a magic lamp?

I think my hair gets more of a spiral the "longer" it gets so by the time it gets passed boobie length it will look like this:
    images?q=tbn:PWfFAx9Y_RQbKM:

is that possible? aren't those types boticelli? is that possible to change hair types the longer it gets or shorter it gets?
    turtles wrote: »

so....what about a magic lamp?

I think my hair gets more of a spiral the "longer" it gets so by the time it gets passed boobie length it will look like this:

is that possible? aren't those types boticelli? is that possible to change hair types the longer it gets or shorter it gets?

RE: Bolded, if you have one let me rub it! :geek:

Some peoples' hair gets more shrinkage as it grows, probably because it's healthier. Other peoples' hair stretches with length. Mine does both.. my hair is APL stretched but with shrinkage can range anywhere from jaw length to just above my shoulders. It's very individual so what's "normal" for you may not be so for me, and vice versa.
  • onefinedayonefineday Posts: 11Registered Users
    Your hair grew a foot in one year?! :confused2:
    How did you manage that?! I am trying to grow mine long, about a foot longer, but it grows ridiculously slowly, about half a foot in 5 years!
  • aubinaubin Curl Neophyte Posts: 286Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    turtles wrote: »

I noticed my curl type changing as my hair grows. When my hair was 0-2 inches it was loose 3c spirals. But from 2 inches until about six months ago when my hair was reaching chin length, it looked more like tightly coiled 4a spirals. Now at shoulder length my curls are 3c size again, more stretched out and S shaped with hardly any spirals :( except at the very ends, just the last inch of hair or so. I hope the spirals and coils come back.
    3c/4a OS curls
    Poo: Mehandi Zizyphus Spina Christi and Juniper Shampoo Bar
    Co-wash/Detangler/Leave-in: V05, Giovanni SAS, Tresemme Naturals, Suave Naturals, GVP Conditioning Balm, Aussie Moist
    DC: henna, AOHR, AOWC, Yes to Carrots, DevaOne
    Sealing: cocoa butter
    :clock:Natural since 1990, BC #3 September 2008:clock:
  • harley.quinnharley.quinn Posts: 7Registered Users
    onefineday wrote: »
    Your hair grew a foot in one year?! :confused2:
    How did you manage that?! I am trying to grow mine long, about a foot longer, but it grows ridiculously slowly, about half a foot in 5 years!

It might just be how my hair is. It grows very fast, maybe an inch per month. But I also eat very healthy- plenty of raw green veggies daily, very little sugar- and exercise twice a week. I only use 100% natural hair care products (I believe if you can't eat it, don't put it on your hair). I also only use heat on my hair maybe once or twice a year. I kind of miss having a relaxer because I could chop my hair off to a chin length bob, then a year later it was down to my waist. But... I'm going to keep trying to grow my natural hair. Damn shrinkage!!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file