CurlTalk

Back to Basics: Glycerin and Water

Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
So I did a flat twist out on my hair (That I finally got to look right) the other day and I am on my third day hair. Now I have added no new product or oil to my hair in the past 3 days. I have all these puddings, and butters, and twisting creams that I've purchased and i apply faithfully to my hair before, during, and after every twist/braid and twist/braid out. I think the products and even oils are great but I did my last flat twist out just using a spray bottle full of water and glycerin. I sprayed it on each section before flat twisting that portion. That's it and today (day three of flat twist out) my hair still feels so soft and so well moisturized (I didn't say "moist" for all you gutter minded ppl... oh damn wait :roll:...).

I learned about using water and glycerin like a year ago when I first went natural. So simple and it works!

Are there any basic, mixes, routines, etc... that you forgotten about? Are there any recent ones you've done and had a similar experience to mine?
subbrock wrote: »
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Comments

• *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users
    I've never worn twists in my hair but I can definitely testify to the benefits I had when I used to use my homemade glycerin and water spray.

I used vegetable glycerin and distilled water in a spray bottle..sometimes I would pour a tiny bit of oil in there too.

But it sure kept my hair nice and moisturized for a good while. I felt it helped keep the hair soft as well. And I had every intention of using it this summer but my conditioner and oil method is just easier and works even better for me.

But boy what I used to call my homemade jheri curl spray was my best friend last summer!
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    Where do you find the glycerin? what are the proportions of the spray? Thanks!
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • rosscdrosscd Posts: 464Registered Users
    Does anyone use glycerin alone as a serum. Seems like it could work.
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    This is proof that sometimes less is more. However, I've been scared to use glycerin over the last month as it's gotten so hot and humid where I am. My twist out would turn into a ginormous fro within minutes. I've been using a leave-in (right now, either Giovanni Direct Leave In or KCKT) shea butter and ORS Twist and Loc Gel for mine. That's it. I don't get any frizz and my hair is very soft.
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fconfessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com%2F" class="Popup
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    My twist out always turns into a fro lol. I don't know how to make it do anything else.
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users
    sounds great (and simple too) :alien:
    can't stop laughing at moist for the gutter-minded folx :sign5:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    rosscd wrote: »
    Does anyone use glycerin alone as a serum. Seems like it could work.
    never tried glycerin alone but...

i used long aid curl activator to bun my wet hair. it is mostly glycerin. it didn't feel like my beloved ecostyler but it worked in a pinch. when i use this gel i get a tacky but rough feeling on my hands that i hate. however, the next day my hair was buttery soft. it felt very much like how qhemet's honey balm makes my hair feel.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ktip_naturalchicaktip_naturalchica Posts: 72Registered Users
    Cali Chik, I thought you were in SoCal...the glycerin works well on your hair in this dry heat??? I am in SoCal and I am afraid to try it for that reason.
    Cali Chik wrote: »
    So I did a flat twist out on my hair (That I finally got to look right) the other day and I am on my third day hair. Now I have added no new product or oil to my hair in the past 3 days. I have all these puddings, and butters, and twisting creams that I've purchased and i apply faithfully to my hair before, during, and after every twist/braid and twist/braid out. I think the products and even oils are great but I did my last flat twist out just using a spray bottle full of water and glycerin. I sprayed it on each section before flat twisting that portion. That's it and today (day three of flat twist out) my hair still feels so soft and so well moisturized (I didn't say "moist" for all you gutter minded ppl... oh damn wait :roll:...).

I learned about using water and glycerin like a year ago when I first went natural. So simple and it works!

Are there any basic, mixes, routines, etc... that you forgotten about? Are there any recent ones you've done and had a similar experience to mine?
    thank you cali chik for starting this topic! i am so in love with my simple glycerin & water spritz! my scalp feels so refreshed. i use it morning and night. i can't keep my hands out of my hair because it is silky soft:toothy4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users
    what ratios of water and glycerin are you all using?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
  • DerbyCityNaturalsDerbyCityNaturals Posts: 422Registered Users
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    This is proof that sometimes less is more. However, I've been scared to use glycerin over the last month as it's gotten so hot and humid where I am. My twist out would turn into a ginormous fro within minutes. I've been using a leave-in (right now, either Giovanni Direct Leave In or [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Knot-Today-p-207.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-knot-today-leaveindetangler]KCKT[/buylink]) shea butter and ORS Twist and Loc Gel for mine. That's it. I don't get any frizz and my hair is very soft.

Agreed. That ORS Twist and Loc Gel is so fabulous. It breaks my heart that I like it so much because it is not an all natural product :sad: But I can testify that I did two strand twist on Sunday and it is now Thursday and my hair is still mouisturized and shiny without the addition of anything!
    Cali Chik, I thought you were in SoCal...the glycerin works well on your hair in this dry heat??? I am in SoCal and I am afraid to try it for that reason.

Vege glycerin is great just for that reason. It is a humectant which means it will attract the moisture from the air.

I do not use in the summer because it is sooo humid here in Louisville unless I am rockin the fro.

My mixology includes using 1/4 - 1/3 part vege glycerin to 3/4 - 2/3 part rose water. I never measure just eye ball it and shake well.

Rose water is simply distilled water with rose extracts, I use it instead of plain water because it smells lovely.

Sweetie, I stay air conditioned. I don't do heat.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

Vege glycerin is great just for that reason. It is a humectant which means it will attract the moisture from the air.

I do not use in the summer because it is sooo humid here in Louisville unless I am rockin the fro.

My mixology includes using 1/4 - 1/3 part vege glycerin to 3/4 - 2/3 part rose water. I never measure just eye ball it and shake well.

Rose water is simply distilled water with rose extracts, I use it instead of plain water because it smells lovely.
    That's a good idea to use rose water.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• Kinky RhonnieKinky Rhonnie Posts: 1,166Registered Users
    My twist out always turns into a fro lol. I don't know how to make it do anything else.

@ Cali Chik - You and me both, I've been in the Carolina humidity thread earlier today. lol

@pjjosephgiss I ordered a 16 oz bottle cheap from iherb.com. There's a discount code in my siggy for first time customers. I don't measure, sorry.

I just started back adding glycerin to my spritz mix of water, aohr and castor oil a couple of weeks ago. The mix turns my dry afro puff into a moist ball of curls and my hair stays moisturized all day. I'm loving the mix since I'm having a challenge of wearing my hair loose during the summer with the high humidity here in North Carolina. I don't measure anymore. I just add warm warm, add some products and shake to mix.

On the one hand I need to stay away from glycerin if I want to wear my hair loose but on the other hand I need to add it to keep my puff moist all day.
    thanks for the ratios and additional tips. i'm in a very humid city. i'm still going to try to use it.
    luvmylocs wrote: »
    i use 6 oz of water and 2 oz of glycerin. i'm in thick humidity but my hair is in twists.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I use about half water and half glycerin or I use 1/3 glycerin and 2/3 water.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

my hair is soft to the touch today! all i did was condition and spray that and use qhemet amla cream on the ends (a little bit). yeah!!!
  • ktip_naturalchicaktip_naturalchica Posts: 72Registered Users
    @Cali: You are too funny! I try to stay inside, but sometimes the gym bores me to tears, lol. I may have to try glycerin at some point then. Everybody had me scared about glycerin and protein...and my hair is loving some protein right about now!
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users

@ Cali Chik - You and me both, I've been in the Carolina humidity thread earlier today. lol

@pjjosephgiss I ordered a 16 oz bottle cheap from iherb.com. There's a discount code in my siggy for first time customers. I don't measure, sorry.

I just started back adding glycerin to my spritz mix of water, aohr and castor oil a couple of weeks ago. The mix turns my dry afro puff into a moist ball of curls and my hair stays moisturized all day. I'm loving the mix since I'm having a challenge of wearing my hair loose during the summer with the high humidity here in North Carolina. I don't measure anymore. I just add warm warm, add some products and shake to mix.

On the one hand I need to stay away from glycerin if I want to wear my hair loose but on the other hand I need to add it to keep my puff moist all day.

Thanks for the ratios and the code. Will try anything to moisturize!:thumright:
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • NaturalfinallyNaturalfinally Posts: 516Registered Users
    Cali Chick I forgot how wonderful glycerin and water can be! After reading this thread, I made my half and half using vegetable glycerin and rose water, shook it up, sprayed my hair until it was saturated, applied some Ecostyler gel, shook my head, added a head band (I got that crazy long 3b/c patch in the front dang it!) and went to church! The curls were banging and popping! I think this and bunning is it for the rest of the summer. Thanks for the reminder!

:toothy10:
    BC'ed - Jan 09
    Hair Type: 4A-3C Crown
    Hair Texture: Fine, Thin
    Hair Density: Medium - Thin Crown
    Porosity: Low
    Co-wash: Sauve Coconut and/or Clarifying, Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
    Leave-In: GDLI, YTCLI, KBB, KCNT
    Moisturizers: QBRBC, KBB, Glycerin, SMCS,SMDM
    DT: AOGPB, AOBGA, GEPT, TJNS, YTC, Henna, Alma, Brahmi, Maka, Tulsi, Kalpori
    Sealant: EVOO, Jojoba, Grapeseed, JBCO, Herbal Oil - Hesh Herbal Oils

** Psalms 14:1 The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God.*** :angel11:
    I got that crazy long 3b/c patch in the front dang it!

girl I have the same one and it drives me up a wall some, no most of the time. It just lays there looking stupid trying to mess up a good hair day so I am always tucking and hiding :toothy7:
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    So do you need to seal if you use the glycerin spritz?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
  • nana_banananana_banana Posts: 735Registered Users
    Is this just plain old glycerin from the drugstore or glycerin from the health food store?
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:
    CocoT wrote: »
    So do you need to seal if you use the glycerin spritz?
    I didn't and my hair stayed soft for a very long time.

Is this just plain old glycerin from the drugstore or glycerin from the health food store?

I use 100% Vegetable Glycerin. I got it from GNC I think. I know that Wholefoods also has glycerin. I can't speak on the results of any other glycerin.

www.lifestarbeauty.com

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I use about half water and half glycerin or I use 1/3 glycerin and 2/3 water.

Those are the ratios I use, too.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FQVCDiva%2F" class="Popup