If my hair is wavy when wet but dries almost straight...

ILoveMyBugILoveMyBug Posts: 6Registered Users
...does that mean that I aren't conditioning it properly?
I love the way my hair looks when it's wet, but as soon as it starts to dry there is almost no wave left and no product I've found will really bring it back - do you think I should look into conditioner? At the moment I only use shampoo.....

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    That sounds like me if I do not use product. It is actually easier for me to over condition my wavy hair. I can only use the size of a dime and on ends only. Definitely cannot use a leave in if I expect curls!
    If I just air dry with no product, It loses what curl it has. So, I product it up, diffuse and it looks how I want it to....well, I really want 3 hair so not how I want it to, but the best it can for my fine, 2a hair!! haha!

eta: I should have said that I have to use really firm hold products to get any hold at all.
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • erin_merin_m Posts: 64Registered Users
    That sounds just like my hair was when it was starting to go wavy in my teens. I sure as heck didn't know what to do with it. If you're going to do CG, definitely look into conditioner and perhaps switch to a gentler shampoo or one without sulfates. Some people find that their waves get more enhanced as they go along with CG, I know mine have. But to hold those waves when your hair dries, you're going to need a styling product. Mousse works well for some, but if you're going for some strong hold to keep those waves from falling flat, go for some gel. La Looks Sports Gel is worth a shot, it's super cheap ($2 at Target for the huge bottle!) and available everywhere. I also find that diffusing your hair instead of letting it air dry really helps keep the waves in your hair. If I let my hair air dry, it looks really flat.
    Well, sorry for the long ramble, I just hope that it was of some use to you!
    Mostly 2B with some 2C on a good day, M/Ciii
    Shoulder length, and I use permanent hair color.
    Started modified CG 6-20-10
    Conditioners: Suave Naturals, Garnier Triple Nutrition

Low poo: L'Oreal Everpure
    Styling: The Body Shop's Cottonseed Curl Boost, HESMU (winter), LALSG and LALCG (summer),
    Hair hates: magnesium sulfate (extremely drying!), glycerin in the winter.
  • Curls=BeautyCurls=Beauty Posts: 1,781Registered Users
    Are you CG or mod CG? You definitely want a conditioner in addition to shampoo.

My hair always looks better wet. If I leave it down to dry, it will have almost no wave, product or not.

My theory is that the water weighs it down and pulls the wave out. I plop for about an hour and then go to bed, so the water isn't weighing it down.
    Cleanser: Liquid Castile Soap diluted in a foaming soap dispenser
    Rinse:
    ACV rinse
    Detangler/Conditioner:
    Oyin Handmade Greg Juice or Juices and Berries
    Stylers: Botticelli Botanicals Styling Mudd, KCCC, Honey Rinses and BRHG, Crack Leave-in Hair Cream when straightening

Tools: Silk pillowcase, Floursack towels, Jersey T-Shirts, Wide Tooth Comb, Velecta Paramount TGR-VQX Hair Dryer (for when I straighten) and BaByliss PRO Ionic Rollabout Hard Hat Dryer
  • DreeemingTreeeDreeemingTreee Posts: 57Registered Users
    If I dont use any product in my hair, it is prettymuch silky smooth with basically no wave...BUT when I use products (I need harder hold like that of LALSG & Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee) and scrunch my hair, I can get spirals.
    I follow the CG method, and my curls have gotten way more defined...and my "naked" hair feels SO much nicer than pre CG days!
    CG since 04/10 and loving it!
    2b/3a (I think?!)
    Cowash: V05 Kiwi, Suave Naturals Coconut,
    Rinse out: Deva One C, GNTN
    Leave In: KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, FOTE Aloe, AG Re:Coil, BRHG
    SOTC: Deva Set it Free, MOP Glisten high shine pomade, Coconut Oil
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree you definitely need product, for many, many of us applied to very wet hair - water doesn't weigh it down and pull the curl out if it has some product in it and you use the right methods to encourage curl. Applying product to very wet hair aids in clumping, definition, and lessens frizz. Once you apply the product, you then scrunch, first with just your hands to get it curling well, then with a non-terrycloth towel, tee, etc. to absorb wetness. You'd think it would absorb all your product and undo what it's supposed to be doing for you, but it doesn't.

You probably then also need to diffuse at least for a minute or two to further coax out your curls - upside down for most curl enouragement. Mine is barely wavy any more if I just air dry.

You may well need protein to make curls/waves pop, depending on whether your hair is fine-textured or coarse - the finer it is, the more likely it will help. If you color or otherwise chemically process it, it's still even more likely you need protein.

If you never use conditioner, yes, you need to condition, even if you tend to get weighed down - Just watch oils and silicones in the conditioner you use to avoid that. You also need the occasional deep conditioner - curly or wavy hair is naturally drier than straight.
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    Lots of good suggestions here. Also, if you comb your hair out of the shower, that will relax the wave more, so you will want to scrunch or plop to help reshape the waves and curls. Super soaking helps re-clump after combing or brushing. One thing some of us have found works better, is to apply curl cream/enhancers and plop for a bit, then add gel and either re-plop a little longer or diffuse straight away. I do it a little differently...I add curl cream/enhancers upside down and scrunch in, then plop for 20 minutes or so, take plop down and add gel and semi-super soak (the cupping hands with water and dipping hair into it and scrunching), then scrunching out the excess water with shirt or microfiber towel (it's called super soak for a reason :P) and replop for another few minutes so I can get dressed. Once dressed I undo plop and begin to diffuse upside down. I don't know if some of this routine is a little redundant, but I seem to have more spirals. If I don't super soak, I get less defined wurls. Also, for me, protein (at least SSRPT) is great for my wurls!

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• ILoveMyBugILoveMyBug Posts: 6Registered Users
    Hi, and thanks for all the responses so far :)
    I should have said, I'm in the UK so I might not be able to find some of the products you've mentioned but I'll have a look.
    I'm not totally clear on some of the terms used, I did search for a dictionary but couldn't find one.
    Please tell me - what on earth does "to plop" mean? :confused:
    Also I'm not really sure what CG or mod CG means - I obviously need to do some more reading on here!
    I've always avoided going to bed with wet hair in case the weight of my head flattened out any curl - now it seems letting it air dry is just as bad
  • curlywurlygurlycurlywurlygurly Posts: 1,180Registered Users
    CG = curly girl routine; basically avoiding products with silicone and harsh sulfates. Use of "co-washing" (washing scalp and hair with conditioner)

mod CG = much the same as above but using a sulfate free shampoo

plop/plunk = wrapping hair up in towel so curls are scrunched while drying. Watch this video for an idea of what is it
    2 something Australian :toothy4:

http://public.fotki.com/curlywurlygurly/
    pw:aussie

Aiming to grow hair to waist from buzz cut - slowly but surely.
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the suggestions above.
    The CG method has done tons to make my hair better. Among the long list of things it has done is make my hair look dry more like it does when it is wet. My waves hold up better.
    CG before and after picture thread.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=47609
    How to follow the CG method
    http://dormroomcurly.blogspot.com/2008/12/style-definitions-table.html

Moisture should help. Protein depending on your hair. The ice queen method helps promote clumps and is used by lots of us with week curl patterns. A
    hard hold gel is a great idea. Also try to get some grabby products.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=95392
    Grabby products have a sticky feel. The stickiness helps pull the curls together. Biosilk rock hard gelle and ecostyler are just two examples.
    Also try plopping or diffusing some. This pulls water off the hair. The weight of the water pulls the curls down as the hair dries.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
    Well I ordered a curly hair shampoo (sulfate free) plus conditioner and smoothing cream and they turned up this morning.
    I'm still waiting for my microfibre towel to arrive and then I'll give the whole lot a go!
    Here is how it looks after one wash, condition and treatment with the contour cream last night. I even used a microfibre towel :)
    I think I'm going to try some mousse next time. I sprayed a little bit of water on before I left the house this morning.

http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y280/lufc_vic/?action=view&current=Photo0214.jpg
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have hair like yours and I cannot use creams. They make my hair too happy and my waves get VERY lazy! I have to use a firm hold gel. Can't be a conditioning one or my hair looks and feels like it has crisco on it! That has given my loose waves some actual curl!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have hair like yours and I cannot use creams. They make my hair too happy and my waves get VERY lazy! I have to use a firm hold gel. Can't be a conditioning one or my hair looks and feels like it has crisco on it! That has given my loose waves some actual curl!

Funny because I think my hair likes creams more than jelly type products. My waves are also very lazy but have found that a curl enhancing cream+a firm hold gel on top works best, at least in the summer!
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file