okay i am confused

DolphinDolphin Posts: 329Registered Users
I had to get off the CG method for a week or so, but what is your full CG method? Like how do you wash your hair, what kind of products, etc? I'm confused. Is it okay in CG to wash your hair in the bathtub, and pile it on your head? Or no?

Oh, and do you have to wash your hair like in that Curly Girl book says to? Exactly like it?

I guess I'm kind of overwhelmed. How do I know if I have to use more protein? Or another product? Or less of something?

As you can tell, I'm not very good at taking care of my hair haha.

And the Aussie Catch The Waves mousse works good for me (I think) but it's not CG friendly.
Some 2b in the back, mostly (using FIA) 2c/F/iii.

Fine hair, normal porosity, and normal elasticity.

I'm still new to this CG stuff, so ANY tips you could give me are appreciated. :)

I have Celiac Disease, which means I can't eat or use products with wheat in it.

Formerly known as curlygirl92 and mixofwavescurls

Comments

• justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am new to this but I will tell you what I do!
    I gave away all products with sulfates and silicones. I never was a hair piling on the head washer. I wash with my hair down and scrub pretty briskly with my finetips. I am a rinse-aholic! I have fine hair so need just a touch of conditioner on ends only. I really like [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Gentle-Lather-Shampoo-p-363.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-gentle-lather-shampoo]Jessicurl gentle lather shampoo[/buylink] and daily conditioner.

I just tried protein but my hair felt really soft afterward, not dry so I wonder if I did something incorrectly or if that means that my hair does not need protein.

My hair needs a firm hold mousse or gel and I really like Jessicurl products and Biosilk Rock Hard Gelee. I am still figuring the combo on that.

I am giving the CG method a fair chance hoping to improve curls and volume.

It can be frustrating (and expensive!) to try and try products! Hope you find what will be a good combination for your hair!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM
  • amberdmamberdm Posts: 37Registered Users
    I'm a bit of a newbie too, but here's what I've found works for me. I do a modified CG routine (which I've found is what most wavies do). I use a low poo to wash every 2 or 3 days. I have oily scalp so I can't be a co-wash only kind of girl. I use a "cone" free conditioner (Tresumeme' and Suave Naturals are all "cone" free and inexpensive). The days I don't use the low-poo I water rinse and condition (I use a very small amount of conditioner and start mid-shaft to ends, never my roots because as I mentioned before I have oily scalp). I use CG products to enhance curls. Some people can use products with "cones" and have no problems, but I have found that "cones" make my hair super frizzy. After I cut out the "cones" the frizz factor went way down!

I suggest you try to find samples or purchase trial sizes of products before you invest. I purchased the Jessicurls Light Sample package and I really like the products (that being said, there is no way I can justify spending over $10 on shampoo and conditioner, so I'll stick with the ones I mentioned above when my Jessicurls sample has run out). Before I invest in the Jessicurls curl enhancing products I want to try [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Recoil[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink]. I'm currently working on trying to find some samples of these products. Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly mousse is CG friendly and very inexpensive, so you won't be out much $ if you want to buy a bottle of that.

Now that I've said all that, I want to make it clear I don't follow this routine every day. I'm lucky in that I can easily straighten my hair with my Chi and sometimes I do. I think we are lucky that we are wavies because we have choices in the way we can fix our hair! In my honest opinion, I think the CG routine of co-washing only is for those who have types 3c and 4 hair. You are dealing with very different hair when you move past 2's and 3a's, and for my friends who have this type of hair, they've found the CG routine of co-washing only a life saver.

Best of Luck!!!!
    -Amber, SC
    type 2b/c, thick and wavy; modified CG routine; use a low-poo 2 or 3 times a week and cone free conditioner; currently
    experimenting with different types of products

• ArdothewanArdothewan Posts: 11Registered Users
    [quote=justajesuschick;1411125
    I just tried protein but my hair felt really soft afterward, not dry so I wonder if I did something incorrectly or if that means that my hair does not need protein.
    [/quote]

I tried a PT today too and my hair was really soft after too.

But yea I want to echo what amber said. I think the full CG method is for 3/4's
    Ardy
    2bM or 2cM
    Normal Porosity
    Fine/Medium Texture on top. Medium/coarse on sides/back
    Dewpoint: 60
    Low poo: GTTT (giovanni)
    CO: sauve coconut
  • cypressmomcypressmom Posts: 236Registered Users
    I was modified CG for years, using Jessicurl Cleansing Cream. About 4 months ago, I went straight CG and my hair has never been better! I should add that I also got a home water softener about the same time which probably contributes to my better hair days, but it's all CG. I use conditioner and Curl Keeper and sometimes a gel on top. That's it. Very simple.
    CypressMom
    3A - I think!

I like to use, but not all at once: :)
    Wash: V05 Tea Therapy or CJ Daily Fix
    Condition: CJ Curl Rehab (apply as needed, not daily)
    Style: CCCC Lite, CIAB, and BRHG. KCCC is my #1 product
  • amberdmamberdm Posts: 37Registered Users
    @cypress mom, when you went straight CG did your hair go through a transitioning process? If so, how long and is your hair dry or oil? When I tried straight CG my scalp was incredibly itchy and extremely oily. I teach group fitness classes so I sweat a lot and I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons I produce more oil on my scalp.
    -Amber, SC
    type 2b/c, thick and wavy; modified CG routine; use a low-poo 2 or 3 times a week and cone free conditioner; currently
    experimenting with different types of products

• cypressmomcypressmom Posts: 236Registered Users
    amberdm wrote: »
    @cypress mom, when you went straight CG did your hair go through a transitioning process? If so, how long and is your hair dry or oil? When I tried straight CG my scalp was incredibly itchy and extremely oily. I teach group fitness classes so I sweat a lot and I'm wondering if that is one of the reasons I produce more oil on my scalp.

Around the same time I chopped 12 inches from my hair and I had 2 weeks of terrible hair, followed by sudden great hair. I typically have dull, dry hair. Now it's shiny and I have more ringlets than every before.
    CypressMom
    3A - I think!

I like to use, but not all at once: :)
    Wash: V05 Tea Therapy or CJ Daily Fix
    Condition: CJ Curl Rehab (apply as needed, not daily)
    Style: CCCC Lite, CIAB, and BRHG. KCCC is my #1 product
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had to get off the CG method for a week or so, but what is your full CG method? Like how do you wash your hair, what kind of products, etc? I'm confused. Is it okay in CG to wash your hair in the bathtub, and pile it on your head? Or no?

Oh, and do you have to wash your hair like in that Curly Girl book says to? Exactly like it?
    This summer I am low pooing with GTTT once a week. In the winter it was more like 2-3 times a month. When I first started I went 2 months before I needed a low poo (my hair is dry). I think I might have better luck with either a cleansing conditioner or a milder low poo. That is on my wish list.
    I would think the bathtub is just fine. Avoid piling it on top of your head if you can. The friction causes needless damage. It is your hair. If you really like to wash with it on top of your head, I promise not to inform the CG police. ;)
    Some cg wavies low poo every day and some never low poo. Lots of people break rules from the book.
    I guess I'm kind of overwhelmed. How do I know if I have to use more protein? Or another product? Or less of something?
    Here are two links that might help.
    Pay special attention to page 5 in the first link.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
    http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/
    For most too much protein =dry and strawlike. When I get a bit too much I get looser waves.
    If your hair is fine, odds are you need protein no matter what your porosity.
    If your hair is porous, you need protein. Unless...
    If your hair is coarse, you will probably need to avoid protein. If your hair is coarse and porous, this is a tricky situation. I'd start with a small amount of protein and see what happens.
    And the Aussie Catch The Waves mousse works good for me (I think) but it's not CG friendly.
    Many drugstore mousses are similar.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?p=1264754#post1264754
    The first post says aussie instant freeze was CG last year. It probably still is.
    I was super excited about hard hold mousse once for a day and a half. :roll: Anyway, here is a thread of recommendations.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=96199

Ardothewan and justaJC-
    Was your hair soft in a bad way? If so, I'm not sure what the reason for that is. Too much moisture in the follow DT? I'm not sure. I'd ask rymorg in this thread.
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=105582
    She has been answering protein questions. She is a stylist that teaches stylists, so she knows her stuff.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • SalamanderSalamander Posts: 328Registered Users
    I've been CG for about a year and half. I co-wash my hair with Suave Naturals or VO5 whenever it seems to need it -- anywhere from 2-5 times per week. I wash it more often in the summer when I am biking a lot and getting sweaty helmet head. In the winter, I am lazier and do it probably 2x per week, mostly because I don't like sitting around with wet hair in cold weather.

Most wavies seem to use a low-poo (sulfate-free shampoo) once or twice a week. A few of us are totally no-poo but we are the minority.

My products are in my sig. Lately I've been using Eco-Styler with Protein as it is my HG for banishing frizzies.

I haven't read the CG book so don't know what you mean as far as washing technique. The way I wash my hair is I use a big handful of Suave conditioner, and then I wash my scalp with it, rubbing briskly with my fingertips. I do that for a couple minutes as it is the friction plus the surfactants that cleans your scalp. I then sort of squelch the conditioner down the length of my hair, but I don't pile it on my head and scrub the length as that gives you tangles and breakage. Then I put in my rinse-out conditioner and after I rinse that out I apply my leave in and whatever gel or products I'm using. I avoid silicones, sulfates, and heat styling (though I've been known to diffuse a little now and then). I also don't brush my hair, I just finger-comb it when it's wet and it doesn't seem to get tangled.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights