CurlTalk

Be a hair model for Ouidad in NYC next weekend

I stumbled upon this online and signed up, and I got a call back today. I'm scheduled for a cut with a Ouidad stylist next Saturday!

Ouidad uses hair models to train stylists in their cutting method and they have a training session next weekend in NYC. When I spoke to Nicole on the phone she said that I'll get a consultation, a cut, and probably a deep treatment as well and that I will get a say in what's done to my hair. It's still sort of a risk since I haven't had my hair cut by this method before, but we'll see how it goes! I'm desperate for a cut right now so they should have lots of fun with me.

If you're interested you can fill out this form on the Ouidad site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ouidad.com%2Fsalon_locator%2Fhair_model_info.asp" class="Popup

I was told that the requirements are that you must be over 18 and have never modeled for Ouidad or had one of their cuts before. Nicole said there are still slots open, but they tend to fill up fast.

(I don't work for Ouidad and this isn't spam. Just wanted to pass along the chance at a free curly cut!)
2b copper penny red
"While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fa-la-mode-2010.blogspot.com%2F" class="Popup

Comments

• fuzziestbunnysfuzziestbunnys Posts: 208Registered Users
  • CheetaraCheetara Posts: 2,182Registered Users
    I stumbled upon this online and signed up, and I got a call back today. I'm scheduled for a cut with a Ouidad stylist next Saturday!

Ouidad uses hair models to train stylists in their cutting method and they have a training session next weekend in NYC. When I spoke to Nicole on the phone she said that I'll get a consultation, a cut, and probably a deep treatment as well and that I will get a say in what's done to my hair. It's still sort of a risk since I haven't had my hair cut by this method before, but we'll see how it goes! I'm desperate for a cut right now so they should have lots of fun with me.

If you're interested you can fill out this form on the Ouidad site:

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ouidad.com%2Fsalon_locator%2Fhair_model_info.asp" class="Popup

I was told that the requirements are that you must be over 18 and have never modeled for Ouidad or had one of their cuts before. Nicole said there are still slots open, but they tend to fill up fast.

(I don't work for Ouidad and this isn't spam. Just wanted to pass along the chance at a free curly cut!)

Thanks so much! I signed up. I hope I get a free cut!
    Sort of CG sometimes, but not really
    2B, medium? normal porosity and elasticity?

Cleansers -
    Suave Clarifying, Philosophy Happy Birthday Beautiful

Stylers - BRHG, re:coil, Ion Hairspray

I live in the NYC area.

• MirCurlsMirCurls Posts: 2,660Registered Users
    That's a great opportunity for folks in the NYC area. I hope some of our Curltalkers get in and report back with pics!!!!!!!!
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09
    Then: fine, superdry, non-elastic, porous
    Now: medium, dry, elastic, lower porosity, BSL

Curl Junkie Conditions!
    Eden BW Cleansing Condish Rocks!

~CJ Protein Tx
    ; BEE-U-Ti-Ful Deep Condish
    ~SMasters Method; Pixie-curling
    Dumped clumps for VOLUME!

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • anonymous_11480anonymous_11480 Posts: 47Registered Users
    I actually did this about 2 weeks ago It was amazing! My mom, my sister, and me all went together. They give you a consultation, a deep treatment, a cut, and once they're done they go over all the products they used in your hair. I absolutely love the cut they gave me! I kept the length but they gave it this really nice shape. That weekend I got so many compliments about my hair. They worked miracle with my sisters hair. No matter how hard I try, she doesnt take my advice on how to care for it but when the cut was over I had serious curl envy lol. I didnt take any before and after pics but I have a picture from when I went out that weekend.

Thats me on the left.

36456_1331085640712_1338120111_30797752_7240360_n.jpg

This is about 3 weeks before the cut. Excuse the face lol. I was making faces at my mom

36902_133746716652551_100000516706646_310778_4503038_n.jpg

They cut my canopy layers shorter becasue they were hanging over my tighter curls in the back. Now my hair looks more uniform in curl pattern
    Trying CG for the 2nd time. Been going strong since Feb 2010. Wish me luck!

:dog::read2:
    3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
    Co-wash/Condish - Suave Naturals, V-05, Tresemme Naturals
    DT - CJ Rehab
    :love2:
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me
    Leave in - CJ Hibiscus and Banana Butta, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styling - CK, AG Recoil, Ecostyler, The Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine

I'm slowly but surely becoming a Curl Junkie Junkie

Ruiz4books wrote: »
    I actually did this about 2 weeks ago It was amazing! My mom, my sister, and me all went together. They give you a consultation, a deep treatment, a cut, and once they're done they go over all the products they used in your hair. I absolutely love the cut they gave me! I kept the length but they gave it this really nice shape. That weekend I got so many compliments about my hair. They worked miracle with my sisters hair. No matter how hard I try, she doesnt take my advice on how to care for it but when the cut was over I had serious curl envy lol. I didnt take any before and after pics but I have a picture from when I went out that weekend.

Thats me on the left.

36456_1331085640712_1338120111_30797752_7240360_n.jpg

This is about 3 weeks before the cut. Excuse the face lol. I was making faces at my mom

36902_133746716652551_100000516706646_310778_4503038_n.jpg

They cut my canopy layers shorter becasue they were hanging over my tighter curls in the back. Now my hair looks more uniform in curl pattern

Man, that looks great on you. Very nice shape. AND YOU...have the cutest face! You're so pretty--hair and face. :) Enjoy your cool cut.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Marchioness Mir, Magister of Moisturization & Mystic of the Lofty Crown in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Fusilli66Fusilli66 Posts: 296Registered Users
    I did this in March, it was a really nice experience. Enjoy!
    3A - Medium Texture - Normal Porosity - Modified CG since 3/2010
    Devacurl NoPoo - Devacurl OneC - Devacurl B'Leave In
    KCCC - LALCG - Kinky Curly Spiral Spritz
    Thanks so much MirCurls!! And I absolutely love your hair! I went through your fotki lol. Btw, reading your posts made me try CJ and so far I'm loving what I've tried.

3C/3B- still trying to figure out porosity (normal to low?) and all that other stuff. My hair seems to like protein.
    DT - CJ Rehab
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me

• sassette726sassette726 Posts: 694Registered Users
    I actually did this about 2 weeks ago It was amazing! My mom, my sister, and me all went together. They give you a consultation, a deep treatment, a cut, and once they're done they go over all the products they used in your hair. I absolutely love the cut they gave me! I kept the length but they gave it this really nice shape. That weekend I got so many compliments about my hair. They worked miracle with my sisters hair. No matter how hard I try, she doesnt take my advice on how to care for it but when the cut was over I had serious curl envy lol. I didnt take any before and after pics but I have a picture from when I went out that weekend. .

Wow, you look fantastic! Now I'm really excited. :)
    2b copper penny red
    "While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats."

CURRENTLY USING:
    Renpure Moisturizing Shampoo, Body Shop Banana Conditioner, Ouidad Tress Effects GelMy fashion blog:
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Posts: 622Registered Users
    Wow! I just received a cut from the Quidad Santa Monica salon and I wish I could have had it done for free!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo
    Co-wash: Suave, Vo5, HE, Aussie Moist
    Deep Conditioner: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's)
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Coconut Oil, Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil.
    Methods: Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • anniemaeanniemae Posts: 1,702Registered Users
    sassette -
    Good luck!! Are you going tomorrow (7/17) or next Saturday (7/24)? Do you happen to know which stylist you are getting?

Can't wait to see some after pictures.

Ruiz4books -
    Your hair looks so cute. :blob5:
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    Thanks! I liked my hair before, but now I love it :toothy8:

DT - CJ Rehab
    PT-
    CJ Repair Me

anniemae wrote: »
    sassette -
    Good luck!! Are you going tomorrow (7/17) or next Saturday (7/24)? Do you happen to know which stylist you are getting?

I'm going on 7/24. I don't know which stylist I'm getting, unfortunately. But I'm very excited!
    2b copper penny red

CURRENTLY USING:
    anniemae wrote: »
    sassette -

I'm going on 7/24. I don't know which stylist I'm getting, unfortunately. But I'm very excited!
    Okay, well good luck, and I can't wait to hear all about it and see some pictures. :thumbup:
    2b-c/F/ii

The stylists are people who work in other salons and are there to learn the Ouidad method. Basically all of the "models" sit out in the waiting room and the stylists come in and look you over and pick out who they want to work on. It's a little odd, but I asked why and they said that they have to work on different types of curls than they already worked on when the last models were there. My stylist was from Vermont and she was very sweet and did a good job.

Have fun and good luck!
    Gina729 wrote: »

The stylists are people who work in other salons and are there to learn the Ouidad method. Basically all of the "models" sit out in the waiting room and the stylists come in and look you over and pick out who they want to work on. It's a little odd, but I asked why and they said that they have to work on different types of curls than they already worked on when the last models were there. My stylist was from Vermont and she was very sweet and did a good job.

Have fun and good luck!

Gina729,
    That is so interesting. I guess that makes sense. :)
    2b-c/F/ii
  • bknaturallybknaturally Posts: 7Registered Users
    I just signed up for august/september. I'm so excited after seeing the pictures. Your hair looks great! A quality cut and salon experience for $0.00, works for me:toothy7:
    Last relaxer 1/2007, last blow out 9/2009
    Hair type: 3B/3A - Mostly 3B. Nice medium length spirals.
    Problems: Dry (back of crown), trouble getting the very front of crown to curl nicely, Deva products are pricey, need alternatives!
    Deva No Poo (1-2x/wk)
    One Conditioner (co wash, styler)
    Heaven in Hair (styler, deep condition)
    B-Leave In (on super humid days)
    I just signed up for august/september. I'm so excited after seeing the pictures. Your hair looks great! A quality cut and salon experience for $0.00, works for me:toothy7:
    That sounds great. Let us know how it turns out.

I noticed in your signature you mentioned that you use DevaCurl products. I also use some of them - I really like the leave-in and the Set It Free spray to reduce frizz and refresh waves. I used to use the low-poo, too. Right now I use Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition conditioner, and I love it. Have you ever tried that? It is creamy, but not too heavy, and it smells fabulous!! I could smell it all day. :thumbup::love4:

Do you like the Heaven in Hair? I've used it a few times, and it seems to actually make my hair dry. It doesn't seem to help at all, and it was really expensive. :hmph: Ugh....
    2b-c/F/ii
  • robinbethsrobinbeths Posts: 171Registered Users
    How COOL!! A few years back, I applied for a model haircut and got a call back. But, whatever was going on in my life at the time (I have a 5 yr. old) kept me from calling them back. I should jump on the bandwagon NOW though!
    Robin :wave:
    I love Jesus!
    Just learning the ropes :toothy5:
    Hairtype: 3b (me thinks) :confused:
    Gina729 wrote: »

Have fun and good luck!

I forgot to ask when I signed up, so in case I don't get a hold of anyone at Ouidad before then: did you have any product in your hair when you went? Or did they ask you not to?
    2b copper penny red

CURRENTLY USING:
    Thanks so much MirCurls!! And I absolutely love your hair! I went through your fotki lol. Btw, reading your posts made me try CJ and so far I'm loving what I've tried.

Oh, I'm happy!!! Yay for CJ!!! And thanks for the compliment. Hee.
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

Remember FREE CUT ladies, post pics so we can see how it sent. I'm sure I'm not the only one super-duper curious to see your Ouidad curly cuts. :D

And make sure to tell us details of how they went deciding what to do...how you felt, all that. Vicarious Ouidads!
    3a3b
    Natural since 11/25/09

Curl Junkie Conditions!

~CJ Protein Tx

I don't remember them saying that you should or shouldn't have any product in your hair. It was a few months ago so I'm not sure. However I do remember them sending me an email a few days before with some information.

It doesn't really matter if you have product in or not because it is a wet cut so they will wash your hair before the cut. In my case they just washed and conditioned me but the friend I went with had a lot of dryness and they did the deep conditioner on her. I would go in however you normally wear your hair.
    sassette -

Good luck today!! :)
    2b-c/F/ii
  • RenWednesdayRenWednesday Posts: 29Registered Users
    I signed up online earlier this week but never heard from them. I guess I'm not cool enough, lol.
    Very fine, mixed type 2 with a little 3a thrown in...I think. ;) CG since June 2010. Member of the BSL challenge.
    Fotki! Since everyone seems to have one. :D
    4ryhbl.jpg
    I signed up online earlier this week but never heard from them. I guess I'm not cool enough, lol.
    Hi Ren,

Try again. I think I read something that they do these all the time.
    2b-c/F/ii
    Hi everyone! Here's how it went yesterday:

I got to the salon (which is small but swank) about half an hour early and was given a smock and asked to sign the model release. Then I had a seat to wait with the rest of the models until a stylist chose me to work on.

I think I got the nervous stylist in this group. She was very nice, but terrified to do anything. Ouidad uses a "carve and slice" technique. I don't know what the carving entails since the supervising stylist said I had a "slice-only head," but slicing basically involves grabbing a section of hair, combing it out, holding it slack, finding the areas that look heavy, and using the shears to gently slice alone them to remove weight. It's kind of cool to watch because you can really see the difference while they do it. But my stylist couldn't get "cutting" out of her head and kept sort of gingerly snipping at sections. Then after every thing she did she'd wait for the supervising stylist to come back to ask her what to do next. So it took a long time. But I'd rather have her err on the side of caution than butcher my hair.

That said, in the end she did a beautiful job. The cut is sort of blunt at the ends which makes it feel a lot more modern to me than any of my other recent styles, and my hair fell into great waves. And I'm thinking the Ouidad gel might be a worthy splurge: it smells like cloves (SO GOOD), doesn't feel sticky or crunchy at all, and even after walking 15 blocks back to the train in the heat and humidity and then spending half my night outside in fog and drizzling rain, my hair didn't frizz at all. That's pretty amazing.

And I got to meet Ouidad! She was walking around taking pictures of all the stylists at work and introduced herself. Before I left I made sure to approach her and let her know I had sent my resume to the company (I'm an out-of-work graphic designer). She was really very nice and seemed happy to meet me.

Here's a pic of my cut from yesterday. It's a little windblown – this is after I walked to the train and then trained and drove home:

Haircut2.jpg

Here's a "before" shot for reference. It's my 3-months grown out Deva cut (my layers were a MESS):

7-10-2010_2.jpg

What I found interesting was that the supervising stylist took one look at my hair and said, "Was your last cut a Deva cut?" Even after all the grow-out she could tell. That impressed me. I think I prefer the Ouidad style now though, because it really lifted out a lot of the weight from my thick hair and my hair looks more "styled" to me now instead of just a big tousle of curls with no real structure.

I tried the "rake and shake" styling method today, but I don't have waves as nice as they got in the salon. It could be because I air dried instead of diffusing, or it could be the difference in gel. Not sure. I'll have to tinker with it and figure it out.

Overall it was a great experience. Everyone was friendly and accommodating and I got a beautiful haircut. I wish I could afford to go to the Ouidad salon all the time!
    2b copper penny red

CURRENTLY USING:
  • 2poodles2poodles Posts: 2,480Registered Users
    Wow - your hair looks amazing!! Love the cut! How much of the gel did they use, by the way. Did you notice? TIA!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2Poodles :flower: Southeast PA
    fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
    Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
    Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Wow, your hair looks beautiful!! :) I'm glad it worked out for you. :occasion9:

Now that it's done, where will you go next, and how will you maintain this cut? Would you ever go back there?

Also, this may be a stupid question, but I was wondering if you can wear your hair straight even though this is a "curly" cut?
    2b-c/F/ii
    Thanks!

They didn't use a ton of gel, but it was hard to tell how much because they styled it section-by-section instead of all at once. I think they used about a nickel-sized dollop for each of the eight sections.

As for what to do now... I have no idea. I would LOVE to keep getting Ouidad cuts, but the NY salon and the Ouidad salon in Connecticut both charge over $100 per cut, which I really can't afford. There's a stylist in my town who has great reviews on this site so maybe I'll try that when the time comes. But if I could afford it? I would totally go back for a Ouidad cut.

I haven't tried it straight so I don't know, but it looks to me like just sort of a long layered bob, so I think it would probably work.
    2b copper penny red

CURRENTLY USING:
    For anyone who has had a Ouidad cut (or who hasn't), do you use their "rake and shake" styling method?

I've been trying it out. I like that it prevents frizz and calms the baby hairs I have at my temples, but I can't coax as much curl out of my hair as they could doing it that way. It dries much straighter. Is it because I don't have the Ouidad gel? Has anyone else made this work?
    2b copper penny red

CURRENTLY USING: