trying to do it right this time

finallyacceptingcurlsfinallyacceptingcurls Posts: 44Registered Users
Hello,
I have been a lurker here for about two years. I posted some when I first tried to go CG. I was doing well with my 2C/3A shoulder length curls when I decided I wanted to be edgier. In a hormonal rage, I cut off my hair to an inverted bob, highlighted the crap out of it and flat ironed it every day for months.

Fast forward to last night, I dyed it back to my natural brown color and did a last sulfate wash. So far, my routine is in my signature. If anyone else has any advice/words of encouragement to help my hair be healthy and happy again, I would appreciate it!
Trying to get back on a more CG friendly routine
2C thick hair...porous
Deva Low Poo
One C
GF spray gel
FOTKI has not been updated! I will as soon as I get around to taking some pictures.

http://public.fotki.com/finallyacceptingcurls/

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair actually started out less curly than yours! Finding the right products and techniques on this website really helped me a lot. Like a lot of people, I started out with Deva--didn't do much for me. I moved on to Jessicurl, which made my hair limp and lifeless in a week. Probably tried every product that was discussed when I first joined 30 months ago. I finally discovered that my hair preferred the more natural products and natural soap bars to cleanse.

Your hair is probably porous from all of the damage. Protein would probably help a lot. Getting the right balance between protein and moisture will help A LOT. Good luck.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • plunkybugplunkybug Posts: 2,526Registered Users
    I'd agree to the PT/DT regimen to get your hair back in shape. Protein and moisture in balance should help the transition better and bring the curls back. It might take some time to compensate for all the damage your hair has had, but I'm sure it will thank you soon enough.

Lady Caiside, Noble Lushetarian and Wavy Wayfarer of Mugglswick, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

2b-3a Fii, porous and low elasticity

Currently using a variety of products, and looking for that magic combo

Hair bio: http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showpost.php?p=1252125&postcount=59

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    I have started and stopped and restarted more times than I can count, but I'm in the hair industry and it's a little more tempting for me to do things to it. I highlight now, though I don't flat iron other than maybe a few times a year....if I want a straighter look I'll either do that for next day hair (since my hair's wurl pattern falls out quickly) or round brush instead.

Definitely do lots of protein treatments followed with moisture only. If you baby your hair awhile it'll get back to "normal". It does take time though....around the second month my hair drives me NUTS but then by the third or fourth I'm starting to like it again.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finallyacceptingcurlsfinallyacceptingcurls Posts: 44Registered Users
    What DT/PT do you recommend? Last night, I mixed EVOO with One C and left it on my hair for half an hour. My hair felt amazing. My curls are not as frizzy and lifeless today.

How often do I do a DT/PT? How can I tell when my hair needs it?

Thanks so much for the advice!
    2C thick hair...porous
    Deva Low Poo
    One C
    GF spray gel
    FOTKI has not been updated! I will as soon as I get around to taking some pictures.

My hair doesn't need DT, the products I use are really moisturizing and my hair was never really dry. I'd suggest either Curl Junkie or Spiral Solutions. They both are quality lines with great products. They each have a PT--CJ Curl Fix or SS Protein Repair Treatment. CJ has lots of "jar" conditioners that would work and SS has Deeply Decadent.
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nanachannanachan Posts: 110Registered Users
    im totally right there with you. my first year of college (last fall), i did what every self-righteous art student does- cut off all her hair and pierce her nose. lol now, its been a long time since i cut off all my hair, and its slowly growing back, but im nurturing it back with CG (before that BC, i didnt really care for my hair) soo, if you dont mind, ima go cg right along with you, while also growing my hair back to its original length. its right now right at the nape of my neck--my goal is bra strap length!

as for products i've been using HE hello hydration, treseme curling gel, and ive been doing the "super-soaker method"
    my hair loves::love7:
    KCKT
    CURLS goddess curls[/COLOR]
    Trader Joe's Tea tree conditioner

I'm on my way to growing out my hair to BSL and possibly longer- to also grow out a horrible uneven cut!

before:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • finallyacceptingcurlsfinallyacceptingcurls Posts: 44Registered Users
    Thanks KM! Where do I get natural soap bars? How do I use them?
    2C thick hair...porous
    Deva Low Poo
    One C
    GF spray gel

• rymorg2rymorg2 Posts: 2,571Registered Users
    What DT/PT do you recommend? Last night, I mixed EVOO with One C and left it on my hair for half an hour. My hair felt amazing. My curls are not as frizzy and lifeless today.

How often do I do a DT/PT? How can I tell when my hair needs it?

Thanks so much for the advice!

I agree totally with Kathy. My fave PT is SSRPT followed by CJCF. My fave DT is SSDD followed by CJ Curl Rehab, which is her moisture only condish. I also like CJ hibiscus/banana deep treat; is has both protein and moisture for when I'm in a hurry.

I'd start with maybe once a week and go from there. When your hair starts acting like it has been recently, do a PT and DT. It's just a matter of learning how to listen to your hair and what it says.
    Cosmetology Educator with sensitivities, eczema and Seborrheic Dermatitis.
    Low poo: looking
    COWash: Eden, cheapo condish, CJDF
    RO: varies
    Protein: CJCF or CJRM
    DT: CJHBDF, CJCR, DBPC
    LI: varies, usually KCKT
    Stylers: KCCC, CRNCM, UFDCM, Curls gel, ecostyler

Lady Karaan, High Priestess of Hayr Tretements in the Order of Curly Crusaders
    Fotki updated 10/12/10 Password: wavy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You've had some really good advice! I love CJ Curl Fix for a PT followed by CJ Rehab for my DT.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Thanks KM! Where do I get natural soap bars? How do I use them?

pm me.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file