The Help - SPOILERS

PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
Am I the only person who didn't like this book? The two things I disliked the most are:

1. Why did the author only use dialect for the Black characters? You're telling me white women in that time and place didn't have accents?

2. What's her face left those women in the lurch to go pursue her dream! WTF was THAT about?

This is our book club book for August and I cannot WAIT to rip it apart.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Comments

• xcptnlxcptnl Posts: 15,678Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Our book club must have the same list!

I liked but I never thought about the dialects until you just mentioned it. On the leaving part I felt that everything was OK so I was not upset by her leaving.

We had people in our club say they could not read it because reading the dialect was too difficult. Huh?
    Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    xcptnl wrote: »
    Our book club must have the same list!

I liked but I never thought about the dialects until you just mentioned it. On the leaving part I felt that everything was OK so I was not upset by her leaving.

We had people in our club say they could not read it because reading the dialect was too difficult. Huh?

I admit that I really dislike when authors write in dialect, but not enough to make me stop reading a book.

The thing that WILL make me stop reading a book is when the author doesn't use quotation marks. Screw that. Life's too short for me to have to decipher when someone is saying something, thinking it, or talking to themselves. Drives me insane, and I think editors that allow it should be strung up.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file