We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

Do you "seal" your 3a hair?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
Does anyone with 3A hair put some type of oil on before applying gel? I use a tiny bit of cocoanut oil after my hair is completely dry, but I was wondering about the technique of "sealing" hair while damp before applying gel.

It seems to me it would never dry then ?? but I would be interested to hear anyone's experience with this technique.

Thanks to anyone who responds!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    I haven't ever tried that, but now I want to! I used to put jojoba oil on after my gel but maybe I should've done it before...
    Usually I view my "seal" as the ice cold water I rinse with before I get out of the shower.
    All sealants aside, I've been wanting to try coconut oil on my hair. Thin density is thin hair texture right? I'm guessing coconut oil doesn't weigh you down horribly? I tried Olive Oil as a treatment once on my hair and it made it limp for awhile, even through a low poo. So now I'm kind of cautious with my oils. I wanted to try coconut as a treatment though (just leave it in for a couple hours under a shower cap before I low poo.)
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fkellygreen49%2F" class="Popup
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 11,983Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hi KellyGreen,

You have pretty hair!

Cocoanut oil is very light. It comes in solid form (in a health food store) and I rub a tiny bit between my palms which liquefies it and I put it on my dry hair and it's very light. Just adds shine and a little softness.

I'm interested to know your results if you seal before adding gel, so please keep us posted.

Thanks for responding.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • curlykeycurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users
    I was doing this a lot during the winter and was really liking the results. I don't remember why I stopped....probably because I was experimenting with tons of new stuff...lol. Anyway, my faves were jojoba oil, camellia oil and coconut oil. I am going to start doing this again. I was applying it before any products including my leave-in. HTH.
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    I have never heard of this, I'll have to try it sometime! Kellygreen, coconut oil does weigh down my very fine hair, if you get the same result try Sweet Almond Oil, my hair loves it :)
    Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
    Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
    Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FOperaTeacherMom%2Fhair-going-cg%2F" class="Popup

CG since 5/8/10
    So to clarify, would you use this instead of leave in conditioner? Or right after your leave-in, but before gel?
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2FOperaTeacherMom%2Fhair-going-cg%2F" class="Popup

CG since 5/8/10
  • lovelovelovelovelovelove Posts: 257Registered Users
    the way I seal is this: (and by the way, i'm 3a-b, with fine to medium hair)
    After having conditioned in the shower, I rake in my leave-in. Then, I take a dab of coconut oil and smooth in the ends of my hair. After, I apply gel. It works great for me! It keeps the hair from frizzing up at the ends. Also, I've noticed I don't get knots at the ends of my hair when doing this. You should try it!
    Ca m'a fait de la pé-peine!:love7:
  • EponaBlackhorseEponaBlackhorse Posts: 304Registered Users
    OperaDiva wrote: »
    So to clarify, would you use this instead of leave in conditioner? Or right after your leave-in, but before gel?

My hair also prefers sweet almond oil over coconut oil. If I "seal" my hair, I usually use the oil before any leave-in or other styling product. Having said that, in the past I've used oil in many different phases of my routine and in the end it all pretty much looks the same as long as I don't use too much oil. :) I think its just a matter of when you want to put it in.
    3a, medium texture, low porosity(?)
    Poo: KC Come Clean
    Rinse-out Condish: Jessicurl Too Shea
    Leave-in: KCKT
    Styling Products: KCCC, HETT/HESMU, Joiwhip
    Weekly Treatment: Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioner
    Monthly Treatment: Henna

Hair Pics (most I've hidden from public view but if you want to see more, PM me and I'll open up the security on them): /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fflickr.com%2Fphotos%2Feponaaran%2Fsets%2F72157610671796089%2F" class="Popup
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    i usually seal before my leavin and gel with jojoba oil or really any light oil i find around the house. but yesterday i was at walgreens and i saw this garnier fructis color shield instant color sealer light weight leavein. and i bought it because i thought maybe it would work as a regular sealer too. its cg (one peg cone though) so im giving it a try tonight. ill let you know how it goes.
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/
  • kasdenkasden Posts: 1,040Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love sweet almond oil! I emulsify it in my hand with a little LI and scrunch it in soaking wet hair. Sometimes I use LI/almond oil, FSG, then gel, but with the high dews lately I've been having good luck with gel, FSG, then LI/almond oil.
    2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
    i usually seal before my leavin and gel with jojoba oil or really any light oil i find around the house. but yesterday i was at walgreens and i saw this garnier fructis color shield instant color sealer light weight leavein. and i bought it because i thought maybe it would work as a regular sealer too. its cg (one peg cone though) so im giving it a try tonight. ill let you know how it goes.

How did it work out? Please do let us know.
    kasden wrote: »
    I love sweet almond oil! I emulsify it in my hand with a little LI and scrunch it in soaking wet hair. Sometimes I use LI/almond oil, FSG, then gel, but with the high dews lately I've been having good luck with gel, FSG, then LI/almond oil.

I have to try this also. I wish I could find one formula that would work all the time (dream on curlypearl LOL).
    curlykey wrote: »
    I was doing this a lot during the winter and was really liking the results. I don't remember why I stopped....probably because I was experimenting with tons of new stuff...lol. Anyway, my faves were jojoba oil, camellia oil and coconut oil. I am going to start doing this again. I was applying it before any products including my leave-in. HTH.
    I have never heard of this, I'll have to try it sometime! Kellygreen, coconut oil does weigh down my very fine hair, if you get the same result try Sweet Almond Oil, my hair loves it :)
    the way I seal is this: (and by the way, i'm 3a-b, with fine to medium hair)
    After having conditioned in the shower, I rake in my leave-in. Then, I take a dab of coconut oil and smooth in the ends of my hair. After, I apply gel. It works great for me! It keeps the hair from frizzing up at the ends. Also, I've noticed I don't get knots at the ends of my hair when doing this. You should try it!

My hair also prefers sweet almond oil over coconut oil. If I "seal" my hair, I usually use the oil before any leave-in or other styling product. Having said that, in the past I've used oil in many different phases of my routine and in the end it all pretty much looks the same as long as I don't use too much oil. :) I think its just a matter of when you want to put it in.

Well, I guess I have to try sweet almond oil. Thanks everyone for the good ideas. Happy hair days to all!
  • MaciMaci Posts: 180Registered Users
    Most everyone on this thread seems to be fine haired. I'm medium and coarse textured and oils work great.

In summer, I use grapeseed and almond. In winter, it's avocado and butters. Jojoba doesn't work well on my hair, but great on my face.

I really want to try apricot and castor oils. And butters by Shescentit. And KBB [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Carols-Daughter-Hair-Milk-p-1032.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Carol's-Daughter-Hair-Milk]hair milk[/buylink] and cream.
    Spirals, curls & waves, Med-Coarse Texture, Med Porosity, Low Elasticity
  • LogyLogy Posts: 156Registered Users
    Loved reading everyone's tips. New to the CG way, just started 2 weeks ago with Devacurl products.

Where do I purchase almond oil? How should I apply it?

Thanks for any advice!!!:glasses2:
    54, mix of 3a, 2b,c, with the occasional straight strand thrown in to keep things interesting. Low porosity. Very fine!

HG: CJCF Never lets me down.
    Others I Like: DevaCurl One Co, CHSCK, Giovanni Smooth as Silk, SSDD, AnGel, DevaCurl No Poo, Elucence Moisture Balancing Condish, Curls Like Us towels.

"Still crazy after all these years" Paul Simon :nemo:
    I found my Sweet Almond Oil at The Vitamin Shoppe, you should be able to find it at a health food type store in the beauty section :)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

CG since 5/8/10
  • curlycarrottop62curlycarrottop62 Posts: 245Registered Users
    the gf product i was talking about worked quite well!! it wasnt as moisturizing but it was a lot less messy
    Multi-textured head! 3a w/ some 3c, medium to high porosity, medium to coarse texture, dry!

My current favorites: Suave naturals shampoo, Suave coconut, Organix argan and moroccan oil conditioner, GFTN, LALMG, FSG <3!!

Not a huge fan of CG :/
  • mamaherreramamaherrera Posts: 886Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just think that maybe if you put in seal/oil with your leave in you're going to get it in all the hair and not just the ends, and for me, that tends to weigh my hair down. just a thought. I think I'm sticking with sealing just to the ends for now.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
    can get weighed down with lots of oils
    Co-wash-trying giovanni wellness
    Rinse out: Garnier Body Boost, GVP
    Leave-in: none right now, maybe a touch of SM curling souffle
    Curl enhancer: AOMM and KCCC
    Gel: Kiss my face gel
    DT:Jessicurl
    Low Poo: abba pure and natural, Giovanni Wellness
    working on: getting rid of frizz from the get-go
  • ChrissasaurusRexChrissasaurusRex Posts: 4Registered Users
    I use Argan Oil (it's pretty pricey, but AH-mazing!) in my hair while it's still wet, and sometimes even after I blow-dry (when and if I do, before straightening, of course)... It makes my hair ridiculously manageable and silky. When I straighten it, people think it's naturally that way! I don't use gel at all- I usually use a creme or putty! I don't like the stickiness of gel (and I really like my curls to be soft enough to run your fingers through!)- Sometimes, because of how awesome the Argan Oil is, I don't even NEED anything else!
    Where do you get your 100% argan oil at?? I've tried, but I always get stuff with cones and other stuff in it. Can you name acouple of those cremes and putty you use?? I didn't use gel before, and I got ok curls, so I might go that avenue again since I also like soft and natural.
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • ChrissasaurusRexChrissasaurusRex Posts: 4Registered Users
    I've been able to find my pure Argan Oil at Sally's. It's like $10 for 2 or 3 oz! As for the products I use, I really like Garnier Fructise Soft Curl Creme, it's almost like a creme and gel mix, but it makes your hair really manageable. I also really like Herbal Essence Tousle Me Softly Finishing Touch Cream (it smells AMAZING, and keeps any fly aways down without making hair stiff at all). Like I said before though, I don't think those products would work without the Argan Oil- that stuff really is the bomb lol
    Does anyone know if health food stores would carry argan oil and do you consider it better than sweet almond oil?

Coconut oil was too heavy for me and weighed my hair down.

Thanks!
    thanks for the names of those products. I'll check out those two curl cremes and make sure they're CG friendly, already got my argan oil. I know I used to just to coconut oil and no gel and got great definition, but then once I started using gel, now I'm afraid that if I don't, I won't get the hold. I should just try oil. ANYWAYS. . .. I used to use a lot, do you use a lot of argan oil?? It's so expensive, not like my coconut oil when I'd just smather it on?? Also, I've got LOOB, maybe that will work as a curl creme, and then the oil. Another question for sealers. When you put in your oil, doy ou smooth it on just on the canopy down, or scrunch in, or rake, how?? Just for ends, or no?
    2c
    Medium texture
    Normal porosity
    Normal elasticity
  • geegee Posts: 40Registered Users
    Hmm, I've tried sealing my hair with coconut oil (a long time ago) and recently with a blend of essential oils I bought at a store but it didn't work. My curls were flat and frizzy, I didn't put much in either. I keep hearing so much about this argan oil, I think I'm sold! Do you know anywhere I could get a sample??

3a/3b curls.
    Medium texture, medium porosity, and extremely protein sensitive.
    Moderate CG? No harsh sulfates, limited 'cones.
    Poo: L'oreal Ever Sleek
    Condish: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Deep Condish: L'oreal Ever Pure
    Styling products: Bumble & Bumble smoothing creme, Not Your Mother's Curl Creme, and Giovanni gel.
    Just a question. Do you find that sealing makes it harder for you to shampoo? Is a lopoo sufficient? I haven't been sealing for a very long time so I forgot what happens. I'd like to try sweet almond oil.
  • curlyloxnvcurlyloxnv Posts: 130Registered Users
    I haven't had any 'poo problems. I use LI, seal with sweet almond oil, then FSG and a little dab of BRHG. I love sealing all year round. I rarely poo, mostly co-wash and the oils seem to come right out. I lo poo maybe once a month and do acv about once a month too, no buildup.
    HTH :)

Sent from my iPhone, please excuse typos.
    2c/3a, medium/coarse, normal porosity, normal elasticity
    CG and covering the grey!
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    Just a question. Do you find that sealing makes it harder for you to shampoo? Is a lopoo sufficient? I haven't been sealing for a very long time so I forgot what happens. I'd like to try sweet almond oil.

I don't use oils, only products that contain oil/butter and don't have issues. I use the natural soap bars to cleanse (which are MUCH gentler than lowpoo, IMHO), CJ Daily Fix every few weeks or lowpoo every few months and never have a problem.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for responses :wave:
  • crimsonshedemoncrimsonshedemon Posts: 2,098Registered Users
    I use grapeseed or coconut oil to seal. I will also use a few drops to sotc or smooth any flyaways.

Garden of Wisdom sells pure argan oil. Never seen it in the store.
    The dewpoints where I live have been close or at 70. My 2nd day hair is a mess and my first day dies after being out a lot.

I'm still working on this. Eyeing silicones for this dreadful weather :confused3:
  • sheilacurlsheilacurl Posts: 1,240Registered Users
    This is a great thread! I've been wanting to try "sealing" and this has kind of giving me the ol' kick in the butt to finally give it a whirl! I'm not using a leave-in right now (I have a couple of swaps on the way), will this work if I'm not using a leave-in? Is Flaxseed gel considered a leave-in if I top things off with SS FHG?

I'd like to try the sweet almond oil then I'll give the jojoba oil a shot if it doesn't work out. My hair is really fine so I've been leery about having my hair weighed down even more than it already is. I've stopped using my heavier CJ conditioners and the last 2 times I've washed my hair I've used my cheap Suave coconut as a rinse out and it's been doing better, or so I think, lol, my hair is so much more touchable. Still a bit frizzy though, that's why I'd like to try sealing.
    Upper Michigan Dews
    3a ~ Fine ~ High Porosity ~ Normal Density

NoPoo: JC Cleansing Cream
    Rinse Outs: SS:PRT, CJ Repair Me, CJ Argan
    Detangler: KCKT
    Leave-in: CJ Repair me
    Stylers: UFDCM, BRHG
    Refreshers: Batiste (dry shampoo) on the roots & UFDCM everywhere else

iHerb Discount Code: SAF007

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji