We’d like your help getting CurlTalk back on its feet!

By participating on CurlTalk — posting, commenting, liking — in the next few weeks, you will automatically be entered to win amazing prizes.

Our latest winner is Savagegirl!

CurlyCanadian, Bomega and EllaJ have also won wonderful prizes! Will you be next? Post, like, comment, GET ACTIVE and help us get CurlTalk ENERGIZED again!

Learn more!

? about coloring hair at home

mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
I use a Loreal Natural or something like that and instructions say rinse it out and don't shampoo but it has an awful smell. Does anyone shampoo anyway, and does that affect the color? Thanks.
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor

Comments

• BrioBrio Posts: 1,432Registered Users
    mandyv wrote:
    I use a Loreal Natural or something like that and instructions say rinse it out and don't shampoo but it has an awful smell. Does anyone shampoo anyway, and does that affect the color? Thanks.

The only hair color I have seen that says you can shampoo afterwards is Robert Craig.

I'm not a beautician, but my understanding is when you color, the chemicals of the hair color cause the cuticle of the hair to open up. If you wash it now, you will wash out some of the color. You need to give it a day or two for the cuticle to close back up.

Of course, if it's too dark, you can wash now and get some of the color out (maybe).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Frizz Happens!
    my Fotki hair journey/experiment diary PW is brio (and I really need to update it!)

3A hair; coloring with henna/indigo since July 2009; normally follow the CG method. Still searching for my HG products!
  • TranspogueTranspogue Posts: 31Registered Users
    You can shampoo with a color-safe or sulfate-free shampoo, but use lukewarm to cool water. If the haircolor is semipermanent, you will probably lose a bit more color than if it is permanent. Ideally, one would only rinse and lightly condition after a color, but if the smell is really getting to you, a light wash is ok, but try to wait at least 2 more days before the next shampoo. The less you disturb the cuticle, the better.
    3A fine, growing out from a mohawk
    As of 1/07:
    Top 7"
    Sides 3.5"
    JC Aloeba, TooShea (1x wk.), Cleansing Cream (1-2x wk.), RR, CCSS, Kenra Volume Spray, Joico JoiWhip
    Want a rockin' curly cut?
    East 42nd St. Salon
    /home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.e42salon.com" class="Popup
  • WiggilyhairWiggilyhair Posts: 780Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I saw Louis Licari, hair color expert and consultant to Clairol, on a tv show. He said that washing with a gentle shampoo is fine after coloring and it gives a more natural-looking result. I always shampoo after coloring with a sulfate-free shampoo.
  • mandyvmandyv Posts: 2,437Registered Users
    3c
    Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
    CoWash: VO5 kiwi
    Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
    Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
  • HalfWavyHalfCurlyHalfWavyHalfCurly Posts: 907Registered Users
    I sure hope you didn't shampoo, applying conditioner a second time (after rinsing off the first) usually took care of the smell of the worst one for me without disturbing the chemistry of the hair.
    2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC ;-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file