Why'd ya do it?

ninja_stefninja_stef Posts: 42Registered Users
I was just wondering what was the reason for getting your hair straightened by a chemical process?
Was it for you, because of someone else, or did you finally get fed up with unruly curls?

I got my last one my freshman year in high school because someone commented that my hair got too frizzy at football games ( I was a cheerleader). To combat the poof I traded in the overall health of my hair.
NOT A SMART MOVE! :)
Anyway, I just thought this would be an interesting disscussion! ^_^
My routine:
  • Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
  • Rinse Out: Suave Coconut & Honey
  • Cold Water Rinse
  • Leave-In: Suave Naturals Coconut
  • Scrunch in a dab of olive oil
  • Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
  • Plop for 45 min. to an hour
  • Clip and air dry
  • When nearly dry, pineapple for a few minutes, then SOTC
I'm just a 3a/3b curly teen trying to manage the crazy humidity in MS!

Comments

• twisted.rootstwisted.roots Posts: 5Registered Users
    I got my first relaxer around 8 years old and it wasn't my choice, lol. My mom did it for me 'cause i would always cry whenever she did my hair, haha. i had it for7 years then realised that perms are just, ew. Lol. So now, my hair is natural again but it's a wholeeee lot shorter than it was when it was permed ): cause i had to get the perm cut off. Sorry this is soo long(:
  • ninja_stefninja_stef Posts: 42Registered Users
    Wow! My mom would have never done anything that extreme! She just brushed out my curls and put it in a pony tail or something! (She's a straighty)
    And as a result, I am not longer tenderheaded! :)
    My routine:
    • Co-Wash: Suave Naturals Coconut
    • Rinse Out: Suave Coconut & Honey
    • Cold Water Rinse
    • Leave-In: Suave Naturals Coconut
    • Scrunch in a dab of olive oil
    • Gel: Herbal Essence Set Me Up
    • Plop for 45 min. to an hour
    • Clip and air dry
    • When nearly dry, pineapple for a few minutes, then SOTC
    I'm just a 3a/3b curly teen trying to manage the crazy humidity in MS!
  • ArtsyGeekArtsyGeek Posts: 2Registered Users
    I think I did it, because my cousin, who is my age, got a relaxer. I just wanted to try a different way to straighten my hair. I was about twelve years old. Sometimes, I wore my hair in it's naturally curly state, and other times, I got relaxers. Last year, I realized relaxers are unhealthy and change the natural curl patterns of our hair. That scared me and turned me off completely. So, I quit "cold turkey".happy0176.gif
  • jubellsjubells Posts: 38Registered Users
    It hurt to do my hair and hot combs weren't to great soo my mom permed it and I was 9 and didn't know any better.
  • justme16justme16 Posts: 36Registered Users
    i got my first relaxer when i was like in 1st grade so i was like6 or 7 idk. it sure as heck wasn't my choice it was my mom's. and as i became more educated in hair from watching good hair lol. then looking at random natural hair sites i stumbled across my favorites curlynikki and this one. whoa sensing a rant so time to cut it short lol.

i asked my mom why she gave me a relaxer she siad because my hair was tough a real comb breaker. she claimed she would actually lose weight while doing my hair. i was like you're exaggerating. but yeah that's why i got a relaxer. and i didn't stop until now because it was just routine to go to the salon or get a box perm whenever there was new growth
    BC 10/5/12 after 4 months of transitioning!:afro:

event.png

Low Porosity, High Density, Coarse, 4a/4b

Current Products:
    Tresemme Naturals 'Poo & Condish
    Moisturizers: Elasta QP Olive Oil and Mango Butter Moisturizer,Beautiful Textures Moisture Butter,& BB Oil Moisturizer
    Leave In: Cantu Leave-in

Searching for the best products for my hair
  • peacelove16peacelove16 Posts: 4Registered Users
    I first got one at home when I was 7 or 8 beacuse my mom couldnt deal with my hair. It messed everything up and my mom had to chop off a bunch of my hair.

I got another in 6th grade because I liked my hiar pressed and the lady who pressed my hair kept telling me to get one so my hair would be more manageable.

I kept them up until the middle of 8th grade, my last relaxer was toward the end of 06!
  • murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    I got mine at 14 because I wanted to have straight hair like everyone else. My mom was mad because she didn't understand why I wanted straight hair when she always wanted curly hair.. MOMS JUST DONT UNDERSTAND..the most important thing in a teenagers life is to look like everyone else, but call themselves unique.8)
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • kinkycurlycutiekinkycurlycutie Posts: 40Registered Users
    I got my first relaxer when I was 10. I always wanted to get my hair 'permed' because that was the only way my mom would let me do my own hair plus I thought long straight hair was so pretty but my mom said I couldn't get one until I was 12. Anyway I went to this hair stylist to get my hair pressed and she basically persuaded my mom to let my get a relaxer. I kept getting relaxers until early last year. I still swear that is the worst mistake I ever made.
    Hair type: mostly very tight 4a with a little 3c and 4b, porous:walk:, medium-thickness

HG: Jessicurl hcc, jessicurl too shea extra moisturizing conditioner, VO5 moisture milk, eco styler olive oil styling gel, Jane carter hair solutions nourish and shine

event.png
  • lldm2lldm2 Posts: 173Registered Users
    Because as a little girl in elementary, I always envied my friends' stick straight hair that came naturally out of their heads. So my mom got me a relaxer. Big mistake.
    3c/4a

Wanting;
    APL/MBL
  • ShellyBeeShellyBee Posts: 67Registered Users
    I was eight when I first got a relaxer . I hated when my hair was combed because it was SO thick and curly , so my mom gave me a relaxer , and I loved the straight look . When I was around 14 , I decided to go natural . Now , I've been natural almost three months , and I am enjoying every minute of it .
    **colored, shoulder length unstretched**
    last relaxer: January 26, 2009
    natural since: March 26, 2010
    transitioned for: 14 months
    4a/3c/3b; 16 & loving the natural me
    I Tweet:http://www.twitter.com/MissChelleBee
  • chelseatom_tomchelseatom_tom Posts: 41Registered Users
    I've only ever had one relaxer, and I did it when I was in the ninth grade.
    I don't remember being too impressed with it, and I'm pretty sure now that what I was seeing back then was damage. Hahah!
    Afterwards, I just flat ironed the crap out of my hair every single day.
    And yes, like everyone else for some reason, it was my mom's idea. To give her credit, I was already flat ironing beforehand, too, so she was just trying to lessen my pain.
    I think part of it was because she and all of my friends had straight hair. I had no curly-haired role model.
    Meet Chelsea: a curly-haired (type 2c/3a and very porous), half-Japanese 18-year-old with a lot on her mind.
    Just beginning to embrace the curls!
    At the moment:
    Co-Wash: Tresseme Naturals
    Conditioner: Burt's Bees Very Volumizing
    Leave-In: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gel: Kinky-Curly Curling Custard
    I love my life!

fax3ja.jpg
  • hellomirandahellomiranda Posts: 8Registered Users
    I just didn't like my hair. :/ it wasn't based off of anybodies opinion but mine. I also had a terrible cut and had no clue how to style it (brushed it when it was dry) (i was 13 or 14) it ended up making my hair wavy and when the roots grew in it was terrible! slowly became curly on top and straight on the ends... now its normal 2 yrs later. hah. :D interesting hearing other people's story!
  • rachelolivia2010rachelolivia2010 Posts: 372Registered Users
    I had mine way before 8. Like 3 or 4. But yeah...idk why. It sux. Even tho my hair was long when my mom was taking care of my hair with the relaxer in, it broke off when i started to take care of it. So I stopped to relaxers a little over 2 years ago and BC'D 1 year and 3 months ago. :)
    awnmvgt87.png
    4a/OS/FN/Spongy
    Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
    Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
    Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
    I think my hair likes cones... :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file