Mineral oil?? Yay or Nay?

DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
I just can't make up my mind.....UGH! I was all about natural only products for a while..but I have to be honest.....not a one of em did the trick! now...don't get me wrong...I still do my own shea butter, honey, olive oil, coconut oil, and castor oil hot oil/pre poo treatments..... however, when it comes to styling aids...the only stuff that seems to do the trick are the products that contain mineral oil/and cones! At this point, I'm not buying any more products for the year...I have MORE than enough styling aids, gels, conditioners, and leave in treatments to last me at least another 12 months....but I just wanted to get your thoughts....beginning next week I will begin my no flat iron regimen...just washing and Deep conditioning every week for 3 months. I plan to use products with mineral oil and silicones ( GASP!! I'm sorry but I LOVE Love my morrocan oil curling cream and oil too much to part with it!)....but I still wanted your thoughts...I googled interviews with Anthony Dickey and the Miss Jessie's girls about their products containing mineral oil...but their defenses seemed lackluster! My shampoos are not all natural, but they are sulfate and sodium chloride free......those of you who are now anti cones and mineral oil...have you TRULY noticed considerable difference in your hair, or are you simply going along with the hype? I know I was...lol
Beauty Tips for the Budgetista?
Check me out on Youtube, Tumblr, FB, and Twitter!
DimepieceonaDime-FB PAGE, Youtube Channel, and Tumblr
Dimefabulous-Twitter name
http://dimepieceonadime.tumblr.com/

Comments

• QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    I recently tried a couple of things with mineral oil after having not used mineral oil products for a little over a year. Here is what I noticed, in the short run (1-2 days), I can get by with using products with mineral oil in them but then need to give my hair a break from them for a few days before using again. After about the 2nd day, my hair starts to feel really dried out.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I used to use products with mineral oil, my hair would get soooo dry after a few days, which made me just use more and more product. I haven't touched it since I went natural, so I can't tell you what it would do for me now.

But - I will say that although mineral oil isn't bad per se, it really only coats the hair shaft, which can help hold moisture in, but also prevents moisture from getting to your hair. Also, it can cause build up, which means you need to cleanse your scalp more often in order to prevent clogging pores. A lot of more natural oils don't clog pores, and some even help detoxify.

Is there something that you feel mineral oil gives you that another oil can't? I don't mind mineral oil, but I just think other oils are more beneficial to hair.
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If mineral oil works for you. Use it. Everyone hair is different and what one person's hair HATES yours might LOVE. My hair can't take mineral oil for more than a week AT BEST. It gets dry, hard, breaks, isn't shiny, etc. But my mother's hair (also natural) LIVES on that stuff. Her leave in conditioner has it as the second ingredient and her hair grows like a weed while staying super soft @[email protected]
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    my hair luvs cones and i use products with them in it. I figure if its not hurting my hair then why stop using it:book:?
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    if the mineral oil is high up in the list of ingredients, my hair is just frizzy and feels weird. lower down, it can tolerate it a bit more.

my hair can take amodimethicone but the other harsher ones, my hair will cuss me out.
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I use products with cones, my hair would get very dry by the end of the day and when it dry completely, its very FRIZZY! The total opposite of what you want!

Mineral oils just dry out my hair.

Eventually, I have to use a sulfate shampoo to get that stuff out of my hair to make it soft again. I cannot CO wash while using products with cones and mineral oils. Its a vicious cycle.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • lashon20lashon20 Posts: 1,150Registered Users
    I've been using products with mineral oil, but it's like the 3rd or 4th ingredient on the list. I haven't had any problems at all with dryness, but I clarify once a week. Since I co wash alot my hair can't take cones, they cause dryness problems and horrible build up. The products with the so called bad ingredients work better than the natural stuff.
    http://mynaturalhairjourney.shutterfly.com/

Shampoos: Ion Hard Water Shampoo
    Conditioners: Curl Junkie
    Stylers: As I Am Smoothing Gel, Jane Carter Incredible Curls, Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter, Hairveda Whipped Gelly
    Moisturizers: Camille Rose Moisture Milk, Camille Rose Fresh Curl
    Leave-Ins: KBB Sweet Ambrosia
    Pomades: Hairveda Almond Glaze
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair hates mineral oil. So nay for me.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i can use mineral oil just fine. no dryness or nothing else weird is experienced by me. however, i shampoo weekly and only use mineral oil products in the harsh, cold winter.

this past winter was my 1st winter with loose natural hair that i tried to do anything with... (i had loose natural hair b4 but can't even begin to remember a regi or products used.). mineral oil became my savior! no kidding. my hair was dried out with every natural hair product i tried. nothing gave my hair the moisture (sealed in the moisture) it craved but products containing mineral oil/petrolatum. in desperation, i turned to miss jessie's butterceam and hawaiian silky 14 n 1. :confused3: this stuff was the magic potion i needed in my harsh, cold winter.

now cones are a whole 'nother story. i avoid them like the plague.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SummerRubySummerRuby Posts: 468Registered Users
    I haven't tried to use mineral oil (or any other petro-chemical) since I went natural because they just have a bad connotation to me. I used them all the time when I was relaxed, and my hair did nothing but break off (but that may be just as likely due to improper hair care), so I still avoid mineral oil, petroleum, and lanolin. Nay.

However, 'cones are a different story. From what it seems, my hair can take 'cones. I could even go so far as to say that my hair loves certain 'cones. I tried the CG thing for a long time, and my hair was always dry and lackluster. Then I start introducing 'cones and shampoo into my regime, and my hair is incredibly soft, much softer than it ever has been on my CG spree. And it's true softness, not just an emollient coating over my hair that hides dryness (I can tell the difference with my hair). I can go a week or two without washing and with daily 'cone use, and my hair will be just fine, so a big yay to 'cones for me.

• Booker Ts MamaBooker Ts Mama Posts: 670Registered Users
    Not sure what 'cones would do to my hair since I've been natural, but products with mineral oil/petrolatum give me REALLY bad itchy scalp. So, for me, nay to mineral oil.
  • Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    I've haven't used mineral oil/petroleum since i've transitioned and gone natural so I can't really say what it'll do to my hair now but I did use it while I was relaxed and my hair thrived on it...although after a week I definately needed to clarify my scalp becuz it made it so greasy and itchy. But if it works for you then go ahead...

I would suggest sealing your hair before using products containing mineral oil so you can atleast keep in the moisture before coating your hair with the stuff...

But to the OP you have a BKT right? I'm not sure if your hair would 'need' different ingredients (such as mineral oil, 'cones, etc) to give your hair the extra proctection it may need from external elements like weather, clothes...

I'd say just play around with the products you already have at home and see how your hair reacts to them.
    HTH
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    Loving it, but my hair still needs some product to give it a more controlled look. Overall, I use pretty good products on my hair..but morrocain oil cream and oil are two I can't give up....I make sure to prepoo with essential oils and also include coconut oil and honey in all of my DCs...so I think I take pretty good care to moisturize..even before putting on the the curl cream...

I'll be sure to follow up with you all in about a month to give you my final verdict on mineral oil. Since I'm not buying a single new product for the next 6-12 months I'm gonna have to make whatever I have WORK!
  • MelodyKewlMelodyKewl Posts: 32Registered Users
    Like some other ladies I have not used mineral oil since going natural. I did alot of research and I came across this article in Pubmed.gov which is a national database were scientific researchers can post their findings. I'm going to post their abstract because sometimes if you are not accessing that site from a university or industry which has access you can not get the entire article. I hope this might help some. I alm also providing the link in case you can go somewhere to access the entire thing.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094

Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.

Rele AS, Mohile RB.
    Research and Development Department, Nature Care Division, Marico Industries Ltd., Mumbai, India.
    Abstract

Previously published results showed that both in vitro and in vivo coconut oil (CNO) treatments prevented combing damage of various hair types. Using the same methodology, an attempt was made to study the properties of mineral oil and sunflower oil on hair. Mineral oil (MO) was selected because it is extensively used in hair oil formulations in India, because it is non-greasy in nature, and because it is cheaper than vegetable oils like coconut and sunflower oils. The study was extended to sunflower oil (SFO) because it is the second most utilized base oil in the hair oil industry on account of its non-freezing property and its odorlessness at ambient temperature. As the aim was to cover different treatments, and the effect of these treatments on various hair types using the above oils, the number of experiments to be conducted was a very high number and a technique termed as the Taguchi Design of Experimentation was used. The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils. Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.
    I stand out in the crowd of Mediocrity. The only reason why you don't see me is because you weren't meant to.

~BC 4/16/2010~

4a/4b Hair

[www.cosmetically-challenged.com

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/beyondthekink?feature=mhum

Shampoo:Chargin Valley Shampoo Bars
    Conditioner: Various Ayurvedic Conditioner Mixes
    Styler: My very own Shea butter mixtures and Ecco Styler Gel.
  • violetmauvevioletmauve Posts: 177Registered Users
    I don't think I can use products with mineral oil even if it's used moderately or low concentration. Eventually my hair starts to feel coated, dry and weird.
  • DimePiece17DimePiece17 Posts: 521Registered Users
    Thanks for the article! I will continue to use coconut oil and all my other oils and as soon as my hair feels gross, I'll wash out the cones and mineral oil. If in a month my hair looks like poo, I'll know the culprit! If my hair continues to thrive and grow, I'll know then that small bit of mineral oil isn't hurting me.
  • qteeqtee Posts: 163Registered Users
    If mineral oil works for you. Use it. Everyone hair is different and what one person's hair HATES yours might LOVE. My hair can't take mineral oil for more than a week AT BEST. It gets dry, hard, breaks, isn't shiny, etc. But my mother's hair (also natural) LIVES on that stuff. Her leave in conditioner has it as the second ingredient and her hair grows like a weed while staying super soft @[email protected]

^^^^ this..+1
    Natural 3C
    My fav styer-Ecostyler olive oil gel

I luv Tressemme Moisturizing curls conditioner..

Olive oil and Argan oil are my fav oils..

http://public.fotki.com/liteskinqtee
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    Mineral oil f*cks my sh*t up. Since I've been making my own products I've noticed the moisture lasts a lot longer in my hair than it did with mineral oil products.
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file