Darcy's Botanicals Vanilla Delight and Natural Coils Curling Jelly

pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
So, I decided to try these new products because I haven't ever tried anything from the curly mart and I've been transitioning for almost 2 years now. I decided to order these two items from Darcy's Botanical and see what the result would be in my hair.

So after washing and conditioning with my regular shampoo and conditioner, I proceeded to comb through my hair using the Vanilla Delight by Darcy's Botanicals and I thought since my hair is 3b/3c it would take fine to just using a medium amount as opposed to what it says on the back of the bottle (use a small amount) and that didn't work. My hair soaked it up and made it uber difficult for me to comb through. That was fail number one.

Then crossing my fingers they said that the Natural Coils Curling Jelly -Natural Curl Defining Gel is best used with the leave in, so of course following their directions I used a small amount. Again, that did not work. My hair absorbed it with no problem and did not do a thing. So part of my hair curled and the other part didn't (which is probably my whacked out hair's fault seeing as that some of my ends are probably crazy heat damaged from the time I permed my hair).

After spreading the coiling jelly throughout my hair in a more than ample amount, I noticed that I suffered a slight allergic reaction to it. All around my forehead and ears were red. :-| Anywho, after using both products I had no choice but to do a twist out and call it a night. All you can tell about my hair now is that it smells like vanilla and a bit like citrus (what the coiling jelly smells like).

Also, the jelly leaves your hair with a bad white residue that only disappears when you add grease to it.

Overall, great smelling stuff, didn`t do a thing for me.
last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

s-event.pngs-event.png

Comments

• pprMACHEheartpprMACHEheart Registered Users Posts: 1,665
    I`m also contemplating washing my hair again and going with my old method of twist outs, without these products involved.
    condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • curlygirlcurlygirl Registered Users Posts: 11
    Hi, I use Darcy Botanical's products and love them. I have never used the Vanilla Delight though. The products that I have used have worked great for me. Sorry they didn't work out for you. Maybe you can try some of Darcy Botanicals other products. I am sure if you email her what your hair needs are, she can suggest what products would probably be best for your hair.

There are a lot of great natural hair companies out there. You just have to keep trying to find the products that your hair loves.
    Tara
  • curlygirlcurlygirl Registered Users Posts: 11
    Most of her products don't require you to use a lot of the product. Usually a little goes a long way.

If you saw white flakes in your hair from the coiling jelly then I think you probably used a little too much product. I have never had white flakes in my hair from the coiling jelly.
    Tara
    I actually couldn`t tell it (the coiling jelly) was in there before I noticed the white flakes. I suppose everyone hair`s different.

s-event.pngs-event.png
    UPDATE: I still use the Vanilla Delight in my deep conditioner (combined with Trader Joe's Nourish Spa Conditioner, and two cap fulls of EVOO ) and it leaves my hair well moisturized.

So not all is lost . ..I just found the hard way that I am allergic to citrus in hair products.

s-event.pngs-event.png
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Registered Users Posts: 643
    I have the Coiling Jelly, and I thought it worked fairly well. Only thing was I used a home-made Curl pudding underneath (Ecco gel, condish, and castor oil mixed), and my hair was soft and defined. I am growing out a texturizer, so my ends go everywhich way....if you like a hard hold, it may not be for you as well- you may need to add something on top.
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Registered Users Posts: 2,678 Curl Neophyte
    The Natural Coils Curling Jelly is one of my favourite products. Lately I've been using it over heavier LI's, but all of my products play well with it.

I like using the MD Lemon Souffle, MD Lemon Yogurt Smoothie or MD Curly Styling Cream as a LI, but I've also used Shescentit's CocoCreme LI, AfroDetangler and KBB's nectar as well.

After fingercombing the Curling Jelly through, I scrunch in some gel for hold.

After diffusing for approximately 30 seconds, I scrunch in a bit of the Darcy's Coco & Aloe Pudding and continue diffusing. Scrunching in the pudding while my hair is still quite wet - the curls have started to form, but they are still really wet ... This step seems to prevent any crunchiness from the product.

Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file