Frustrated and I really need to talk to someone

LB91LB91 Posts: 107Registered Users
Hey ladies. Thanks to whoever decides to view and respond because I really need encouragement right now. I'm actually crying while I'm typing this. Okay here goes...

I decided to stop perming my hair when I was 14 due to excessive breakage and damage. This was only because I stopped caring for it. Fast forward four years and I have nothing to prove just more damage. I feel like I keep trying, and trying, and trying, and no matter what I keep failing. Sometimes I feel like **** it let me buy the perm, at least I know how to take care of it then.

People may say that my hair is thick but, trust me it's thinning compared to what it was when I was younger.
I think I have to start this whole natural thing again meaning that I'll have to chop off hair.

My father was asking me whats wrong but, I couldn't even answer him. I think I almost screamed at him, poor Dad.

Ladies I just really need encouragement of how you got over any tough times. My hair is really taking a toll on me big time and that's not how it suppose to be.

Thank you so much.

Great now I have a headache from crying like a baby.
Cowash : Yes to Carrots
Detangling Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals
Leave-in Mix: Tresemme Naturals, coconut oil, glycerin, aloe vera gel
Moisturizing Styler: Qhemet Biologics Amla & Olive Heavy Cream
Sealent: Castor Oil
None of these products contain silicones, protein, or sulfates. If this doesn't end my dry spell I don't know what I will do.

Comments

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    Have you thought about a big chop? Or did you already have one? If you didn't and you keep getting breakage you might want to just consider that, at least it'd be a fresh new start with healthy hair growing!
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're going through this. (HUGS)

I have my days with my hair and I will get frustrated. Sometimes I entertain the thought of getting a relaxer after being almost two years relaxer free, but I snap out of it. I remember that I have to be patient and kind to my hair. It may not be the way I desire it at the particular moment, but I remind myself that if I continue to nurture my hair, I will attain the hair that I want: happy and healthy gorgeous tresses.

Here's a tip: when I am frustrated with my hair, I'll wash it, moisturize it, and twist it into haphazard twists and wear a headwrap until I know that my anger leaves and won't result in drastic measures.

HTH

Lala
  • LB91LB91 Posts: 107Registered Users
    turtles wrote: »
    Have you thought about a big chop? Or did you already have one? If you didn't and you keep getting breakage you might want to just consider that, at least it'd be a fresh new start with healthy hair growing!

No I've never had a big shop I transitioned. I think I may go to a hair salon and ask them to chop off the damage ends which will probably be 3 inches. I don't think I can handle that awkward stage of growth where I can't really twist it. Thanks so much for replying.

Now to find a salon.

I have my days with my hair and I will get frustrated. Sometimes I entertain the thought of getting a relaxer after being almost two years relaxer free, but I snap out of it. I remember that I have to be patient and kind to my hair. It may not be the way I desire it at the particular moment, but I remind myself that if I continue to nurture my hair, I will attain the hair that I want: happy and healthy gorgeous tresses.

Here's a tip: when I am frustrated with my hair, I'll wash it, moisturize it, and twist it into haphazard twists and wear a headwrap until I know that my anger leaves and won't result in drastic measures.

HTH

Lala

Thanks Lala. Funny enough that's what I did I put some twists in the front applied a moisturizer and tied it down. I can't even look at it right now, lol. I'm glad I can at least laugh at it.

I guess I just need to get a great moisturizing technique and stick to it.

Again thank you. I don't think people realize how helpful a reply is sometimes.
    None of these products contain silicones, protein, or sulfates. If this doesn't end my dry spell I don't know what I will do.
  • CocoTCocoT Posts: 5,330Registered Users
    Im so sorry you're upset, trust me I've been there. Don't take this the wrong way but you have to realize that its just hair. Out of everything that can make you feel defeated in your life, your hair shouldn't make you feel that way. For me, protective styling (mini twists) takes much stress away from dealing with my hair. I've actually decided to start locing my hair which I consider to be a long term protective style, but even before I decided to loc I would always do protective styles to try to preserve my hair and keep it low maintenance. What have you been doing with your hair?
    11.gif
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    I have my own moisturizing technique. You can try it if you want. Here's what I do:
    I wet/rinse my hair every day or every other day. I'm locing but I have mini twists in my hair and I would do this before I decided to loc. After I wet it then I apply a leave in and then I use my koils by nature butter then I use coconut oil on top of that. I think wetting the hair and then applying your moisturizers or what have you is much better because moisture comes from water. Oils and butters may make the hair feel good but they aren't really moisturizing. From your siggy it looks like you use some nice quality products. How do you apply your moisturizers? Wet or dry?

Btw, I've used the QB AOHC before but I didn't really find it too moisturizing, even with water. Sometimes we use stuff the wrong way or we just use it because of what it say's it may do but that doesn't mean its right for your hair. I'd evaluate what you've been using and see what's working and what's not.

I hope I'm making sense.lol
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
    Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
    CocoT wrote: »
    Im so sorry you're upset, trust me I've been there. Don't take this the wrong way but you have to realize that its just hair. Out of everything that can make you feel defeated in your life, your hair shouldn't make you feel that way. For me, protective styling (mini twists) takes much stress away from dealing with my hair. I've actually decided to start locing my hair which I consider to be a long term protective style, but even before I decided to loc I would always do protective styles to try to preserve my hair and keep it low maintenance. What have you been doing with your hair?

No offense taken, trust me. I know that it's just hair and that is what's making me more upset. I have better things in my life to be concerned about yet I manage to let my hair get the best of me. I use to micro twists, but I think that it is better for me to keep that for the winter. I've tried the micro twist and the humidity caused it to frizz and tangle horribly, and now I have knots left and right!

Thanks.
    I have my own moisturizing technique. You can try it if you want. Here's what I do:
    I wet/rinse my hair every day or every other day. I'm locing but I have mini twists in my hair and I would do this before I decided to loc. After I wet it then I apply a leave in and then I use my koils by nature butter then I use coconut oil on top of that. I think wetting the hair and then applying your moisturizers or what have you is much better because moisture comes from water. Oils and butters may make the hair feel good but they aren't really moisturizing. From your siggy it looks like you use some nice quality products. How do you apply your moisturizers? Wet or dry?

Btw, I've used the QB AOHC before but I didn't really find it too moisturizing, even with water. Sometimes we use stuff the wrong way or we just use it because of what it say's it may do but that doesn't mean its right for your hair. I'd evaluate what you've been using and see what's working and what's not.

Yes you are making sense. Well I like to apply on damp hair. In the past I've applied products to wet hair, when it dried it felt extremely hard, then again I used silicones and didn't have filtered water.

I can tell you what I did last night, that's when I started using the products in my siggy.

1. After I got of the shower I blotted my hair with my towel. (Next time I will probably use a white t-shirt)

2.Applied lily of the dessert aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and vegetable gylcerine.

3.Sealed with castor oil.

4.Twisted hair.

I think I truly messed up with the amount of castor oil. My ends are pretty damaged so the amount of castor oil is weighing down causing it to break. It kind of feels like they are sticking together.

I was only going to use the QB AOHC for twists, if that makes a difference.
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users
    So sorry to hear you are down.

At first glance your ends sound brittle (with the reaction of the castor oil). I would drop the glycerine. Glycerine can strip moisture out of hair (instead of pulling from the environment and depositing into hair) and make it hard/dry and just act crazy.

What tools do you use on your hair? I.e. hot irons, types of combs, etc...

Are you manipulating your hair a lot? How often are you washing/styling your hair and are the products you listed the only ones you use?

Do you engage in protective styling?

I know you said you think you overdid it with the castor oil, but castor oil is both a humectant and and a protectant.

It could be that castor oil does not agree with you or it could be that the coconut oil does not agree with your hair.

Coconut oil sat on my hair and made it dry and greasy. Shea butter does the same thing.

I would look at the gycerine and the coconut oil.

Also CocoT gave you good advice - apply whatever you're using as moisturizer (conditioner, aloe etc) first and then seal your hair with the oil.

Perhaps to get your ends into shape look into your protein/moisture balance. I would do a hard protein on the ends of my hair to prevent further breakage (alternate with a moisture DT) and then protective style for a while until you get your hair into good condition.

HTHs
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

At first glance your ends sound brittle (with the reaction of the castor oil). I would drop the glycerine. Glycerine can strip moisture out of hair (instead of pulling from the environment and depositing into hair) and make it hard/dry and just act crazy.

Oh okay. I always thought that glycerine was suppose to have the opposite effect in warmer weather.

Well I was getting a little happy with the blow dryer. But I decided to stop using it's been three weeks.

I use the conair detangling comb and sometimes the paddle brush. I would post the pic but, I forgot how to. It's in my fotki album...I think.
    Are you manipulating your hair a lot? How often are you washing/styling your hair and are the products you listed the only ones you use?

Do you engage in protective styling?

I don't think I manipulate my hair a lot. I like wash/style once a week. The products in my sig are the only products that I have been using. I just started using them last night. All I do is protective style, lol. I do it so much people think I'm trying to "dread" my hair.
    I know you said you think you overdid it with the castor oil, but castor oil is both a humectant and and a protectant.

It could be that castor oil does not agree with you or it could be that the coconut oil does not agree with your hair.

Coconut oil sat on my hair and made it dry and greasy. Shea butter does the same thing.

Okay I'm definitely going to see how my hair acts to the coconut oil and castor oil. Yeah I realized that my hair HATES shea butter. It just always felt horrible no matter how much, or how little I put.
    Perhaps to get your ends into shape look into your protein/moisture balance. I would do a hard protein on the ends of my hair to prevent further breakage (alternate with a moisture DT) and then protective style for a while until you get your hair into good condition.

I think I am protein sensitive. My hair get's really hard with protein.

Thanks so much for your help. I don't think you ladies understand how helpful you are:blob8:. HUGs

P.S.
    I'm trying to look at your fotki but, it's saying that the password is wrong. May I have the pw please...if you don't mind.
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    I know just how you feel. I've been there. It can be so frustrating to put time and energy and LOVE into something and watch it respond as if you're treating it any kind of way. I went a long time not doing anything at all for my hair (or my mom took care of it with the supposedly "bad" products, ie softee lol). Then, I started doing my research and looking into healthy practices and suddenly there was a marked difference in my hair. And not for the better.

At that point where you feel like you're giving all you can give and it's just not working you need to step back and realize that it is not the end of the world. Unless you're hair is struggling because of some medical problem (God forbid!) realize that this is very minor in your grand scheme of things. You've got more going for you than the follicles on your head girlie! (As a side note, when I stopped doing so much to my hair trying to Force it to act right is when it magically got better! Give your hair a little break :) ) Good luck!
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes to Carrots condish contains dimethicone -- drying and build up. Try switchin to Yes to Cucumbers if you want to exclusively cowash, or do a shampoo occasionally. The rest of your products sound pretty good.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    Yes to Carrots condish contains dimethicone -- drying and build up. Try switchin to Yes to Cucumbers if you want to exclusively cowash, or do a shampoo occasionally. The rest of your products sound pretty good.

Do you think that they changed the ingredients. i just checked the back of it and I see no dimethicone.
  • ZinniaZinnia Posts: 7,339Registered Users
    LB91 wrote: »

Do you think that they changed the ingredients. i just checked the back of it and I see no dimethicone.

from the Yes to Carrots site:
    Yes To Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner

Water (Aqua), Dead Sea Water (Maris Aqua), Silt (Maris Limus), Magnesium Chloride, Chamomila Recutita (Chamomile) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Oil, Daucus Carota (Carrot) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota (Carrot) Juice, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Juice, Ipomoera Batatas (Sweet Potato) Extract, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Honey (Mel) Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Dimethicone, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Cetrimonium Chloride, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Peel Extract.
    Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte

No I've never had a big shop I transitioned. I think I may go to a hair salon and ask them to chop off the damage ends which will probably be 3 inches. I don't think I can handle that awkward stage of growth where I can't really twist it. Thanks so much for replying.

Now to find a salon.

HTH

Lala

Thanks Lala. Funny enough that's what I did I put some twists in the front applied a moisturizer and tied it down. I can't even look at it right now, lol. I'm glad I can at least laugh at it.

since you never did the bc but transitioned, do you still have relaxed hair on the ends?
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the other ladies are giving great advice..so I will just comment on the castor oil...

I have thick hair ..and I can't use castor oil unless it's cut with SOMETHING... I cut mine with organic extra virgin olive oil. I pour half castor and half olive oil in a clear squirt bottle. It's my staple oil combo. I use it pretty much every day.

Some people cut castor oil with conditioner... but damn.. I tried castor oil right out of the bottle a long time ago.. and it was WAY to heavy and sticky for me. I don't know how.. but the olive oil helps it become the perfect oil for my thick hair and I never have greasy hair..otherwise I wouldn't use it.

So maybe you could cut it with another oil or some conditioner ?
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Windflower wrote: »

from the Yes to Carrots site:
    Yes To Carrots Pampering Hair Mud Conditioner

Water (Aqua), Dead Sea Water (Maris Aqua), Silt (Maris Limus), Magnesium Chloride, Chamomila Recutita (Chamomile) Extract, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Calendula Officinalis Oil, Daucus Carota (Carrot) Seed Oil, Daucus Carota (Carrot) Juice, Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Juice, Ipomoera Batatas (Sweet Potato) Extract, Cucumis Melo (Melon) Extract, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Fruit Extract, Honey (Mel) Extract, Fragrance (Parfum), Dimethicone, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Imidazolidinyl Urea, Cetrimonium Chloride, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Peel Extract.

Oh I see. Well I probably have an old or new bottle because my bottle doesn't have any. Thank God. Thanks for going to site and getting it for me :)
    hippychic wrote: »

Now to find a salon.

HTH

Lala

since you never did the bc but transitioned, do you still have relaxed hair on the ends?

Oh no. Once I had about 4 inches of new growth my mother chopped off the perm ends.
    I think the other ladies are giving great advice..so I will just comment on the castor oil...

I have thick hair ..and I can't use castor oil unless it's cut with SOMETHING... I cut mine with organic extra virgin olive oil. I pour half castor and half olive oil in a clear squirt bottle. It's my staple oil combo. I use it pretty much every day.

Some people cut castor oil with conditioner... but damn.. I tried castor oil right out of the bottle a long time ago.. and it was WAY to heavy and sticky for me. I don't know how.. but the olive oil helps it become the perfect oil for my thick hair and I never have greasy hair..otherwise I wouldn't use it.

So maybe you could cut it with another oil or some conditioner ?

Yes all of you ladies are being really helpful. Thanks for the advice. I never even considered mixing the two oils together. I will definitely try this method.

Yes you are making sense. Well I like to apply on damp hair. In the past I've applied products to wet hair, when it dried it felt extremely hard, then again I used silicones and didn't have filtered water.

I can tell you what I did last night, that's when I started using the products in my siggy.

1. After I got of the shower I blotted my hair with my towel. (Next time I will probably use a white t-shirt)

2.Applied lily of the dessert aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and vegetable gylcerine.

3.Sealed with castor oil.

4.Twisted hair.

I think I truly messed up with the amount of castor oil. My ends are pretty damaged so the amount of castor oil is weighing down causing it to break. It kind of feels like they are sticking together.

I was only going to use the QB AOHC for twists, if that makes a difference.
    On step two, is that a mixture or you apply each of those things seperately? REgardless, I can see where your dryness problems are coming from. Maybe try using the AOHC as a leave in on damp hair and then sealing with your oil mix but be careful with how much you use. I have coarse hair and putting raw JBCO on my hair just makes it feel hard and greasy. I prefer castor oil on my scalp or using it for oil cleansing my face (with grapeseed oil :) )though.

Try not to over do it on the application of products when your hair is damp or wet. Its easier to over do it because the products tend to absorb faster on damp or wet hair. Work the product in really good.

When you run out of the AOHC and you still can't make it work for you, if you are considering sticking with the Qhemet stuff try the burdock root cream instead. I found the burdock root cream and the cocoa detangling ghee to be way more moisturizing than the AOHC. You don't have to do that though, just an idea.
    11.gif
    -Albert Einstein
  • PrettycurlsPrettycurls Posts: 1,482Registered Users

Oh okay. I always thought that glycerine was suppose to have the opposite effect in warmer weather.

Well I was getting a little happy with the blow dryer. But I decided to stop using it's been three weeks.

I use the conair detangling comb and sometimes the paddle brush. I would post the pic but, I forgot how to. It's in my fotki album...I think.

I don't think I manipulate my hair a lot. I like wash/style once a week. The products in my sig are the only products that I have been using. I just started using them last night. All I do is protective style, lol. I do it so much people think I'm trying to "dread" my hair.

Okay I'm definitely going to see how my hair acts to the coconut oil and castor oil. Yeah I realized that my hair HATES shea butter. It just always felt horrible no matter how much, or how little I put.

I think I am protein sensitive. My hair get's really hard with protein.

Thanks so much for your help. I don't think you ladies understand how helpful you are:blob8:. HUGs

P.S.
    I'm trying to look at your fotki but, it's saying that the password is wrong. May I have the pw please...if you don't mind.

Hello,

It sounds like you are getting some really good advice from everyone on the thread.

My password in my siggy is the same. (curlspretty)

Glycerine is is tricky. The first time I tried it - it was perfect. More recent times- awful! I learned there is a dewpoint/humidity trick to it. And it can lead to buildup on the hair.

No heat - especially now is great.

When I was referring to protein...I didn't mean use a staple protein product for all the time use. Or even for all over usage on your hair. Just a little above the ends of your hair where you are getting the breakage - to strengthen those weak/stressed places to stop/prevent the breakage.

Some protein treatments are "harder" than others. And you have to follow up with a moisturizing treatment after protein and kind of be gentle with your hair during and after the treatment.

I am somewhat protein sensitive - I learned that I can't use all of Ouidad's products in conjunction with one another, but every few months or once a month I will do her protein DT, or Aphogee, or Nexxus, or ayurvedic herbs under a dryer/steamer etc... to keep my hair balanced since I lean heavily towards moisture all the time and your hair can get overmoisturized which can lead to the same symptoms i.e. breakage, frizziness, soggy, fuzzy looking.

It just a suggestion and if you think that this will make it worse don't do it.

Just examine the products you are using esp the glycerine, cocnoyt, castor oil = avoid the cones, stay away from the heat and keep you hair protectively styled and covered at night and see what happens.
    Have:
    4a Tailbone

http://members.fotki.com/Prettycurls/about/ pw:curlspretty

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file