4a hair that lacks shine, pls help!

ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users
Ive recently transitioned and have been rocking a TWA for about a month now. Im still learning what products work well in my hair curl wise but I'm having such a hard time getting my hair to hold a nice shine to it (like my relaxed hair did). Im not sure if its the products im using.

As of now:
Sunday - Shampoo w/ Elucence Moisture Benefit Shampoo
Shampoo w/ [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-No-Poo-p-53.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-nopoo]DevaCurl No-Poo[/buylink]
Condition w/ DevaCare One Conditioner
Style with pea size of [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink] & Profound Beauty Curling Serum then I add a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]DevaCurl Arc Angell[/buylink] (for hold)

Monday-Saturday - I alternate between [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]DevaCurl Low-Poo[/buylink] and No-Poo Shampoo's with DevaCare One Conditioner, Styling with the same products listen above.

I have to shampoo or co-wash daily, there is no such thing as second day hair with me. I find these products do give my hair a nice curl formation but by the end of my work day my hair looks really dry. Once I sleep on it, its a wrap the style is nice but its looks so dull. Correct my language but it almost has that nappy brillo look to it.

I know type 4 hair lacks shine but damn there has to be something I can use to give it some sign of life. Please help I open to all suggestions even if I have to alternate the products im using.

FYI after I finish these products Im interested in using the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] line.
Big Chop: 9/2013
Hair Type: 4a
Current Length: 1/2"
Goals: Love my hair & Let it Grow

event.png

Comments

• moo49moo49 Posts: 118Registered Users
    Well tighter textures won't have that much shine but it will have sheen. Do you have a larger picture of your hair? Instead of focusing on getting shine, you should focus on the overall health of your hair. Do you drink water? Eat healthy? Those could all affect how shiny the hair is. Really tight kinks/coils absorb the light instead of reflecting it so its not going to be super glossy/shiny. I say just baby and nourish your hair for awhile and see if the shine increases.
  • maybejadeymaybejadey Posts: 198Registered Users
    Unless your hair is damaged, brittle, or dry, your hair doesn't have a "nappy brillo" look. That might be more in your own mind. If you want shine, some gels can reflect light because of the film. People mention that my hair looks somewhat shiny when I shingle with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] (although I don't particularly care, I just like how it elongates my coils and makes detangling easier).

I'd go by how your hair feels. If it's snapping off everytime you touch it, you may need to look into your moisture and protein balance. If it's not, don't worry too much about the shine. Healthy, touchable hair is more fun than shiny, silicone covered, dehydrated hair. =)
    Hair Type: A collection of incredibly dense, gravity-defying very defined coffee-stirrer diameter coils. I am currently exclusively wearing wash-and gos.

Products
    :Curl Junkie Daily Fix Cleansing Conditioner (low-poo), Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner, Grapeseed Oil, KCCC or Ecostyler Gel (stylers)

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Straight hair and curly/coily hair refract the light differently, so you won't get the same shine. You can get a nice sheen from smoothing a drop of your favorite oil on your hair when it is dried. I like Qhemets Castor & Moringa serum because it softens and adds shine. A good pomade or butter type product will do it too.

Try overlaying a little castor oil over the Recoil and Beauty serum, before gelling with the ArcAngel.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • ImStarJacksImStarJacks Posts: 26Registered Users
    Thank you all for the replies.

@moo49 I do eat healthy 85% of the time. I drink water daily and lots of green tea, no other beverages.

@maybejadey when I pull my coils there's no breakage. To be honest since I've been natural I have no breakage or lose any strands of hair like I did while it was relaxed :) so for the most part my hair 100xs healthier now.

@Suburbanbushbabe Ill try this in the am when I do my tresses.

Thanks again guys for the info, I feel better now that I've learned something.

event.png
  • kaycookkaycook Posts: 40Registered Users
    Thank you all for the replies.

@moo49 I do eat healthy 85% of the time. I drink water daily and lots of green tea, no other beverages.

@maybejadey when I pull my coils there's no breakage. To be honest since I've been natural I have no breakage or lose any strands of hair like I did while it was relaxed :) so for the most part my hair 100xs healthier now.

Thanks again guys for the info, I feel better now that I've learned something.

Suburbanbushbabe Ill try this in the am when I do my tresses.

I found that my hair got extremely dry when I used the Devacurl products - they have protein and if your hair is protein-sensitive, over time these products will make your hair very dry.

I've had really good results achieving shine with coconut oil (plain virgin unrefined) and Qhemet Amla Nourishing Pomade. Qhemet products are great for type 4 hair.
  • Bookworm08Bookworm08 Posts: 42Registered Users
    I know this is random but Kaycook I luv your hair in your avatar.:wav:
  • Alice_42 Alice_42 Posts: 791Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Because of the shape of 4a/b/c/z hair it doesn't usually have shine the way a straight haired, Pantene model's hair shines. If you want that Pantene model shine, you'll need a gel with light reflecting properties or oil.

I like IC Fantasia gel (the clear one--I don't remember what it's full name is @[email protected]) it's pretty cheap, you get a lot of product for the price AND it's easily available on the ground. Just a warning, too much can (and will) make your hair look like a jerri curl--which may or may not be what you want. I used coconut oil for shine but if you use to much it can make your hair look greasy instead of shiny :(
    event.png

Last relaxer: August 2008
    Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009
    Blog: Alice in Nappyland
  • kaycookkaycook Posts: 40Registered Users
    Bookworm08 wrote: »
    I know this is random but Kaycook I luv your hair in your avatar.:wav:

Thank you!!!!!! :)
    So this week I decided to not use the devacurl products, Ive been washing with my Elucence and just using my AG Re:Coil with a little Arc Angell and Ive noticed a BIG difference in how my hair looks and feels. Its still a little dry so Im going to try some of the tips you guys listed.

Im going to agree with @kaycook and say maybe the DevaCurl products were causing my hair to become dry. Im going to start using KCCC next week or whenever it arrives in the mail. :)

thanks again guys.

event.png
  • dee-naturedee-nature Posts: 630Registered Users
    So this week I decided to not use the devacurl products, Ive been washing with my Elucence and just using my [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink] with a little [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCare-Arc-AnGell-p-567.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacare-arc-angell]Arc Angell[/buylink] and Ive noticed a BIG difference in how my hair looks and feels. Its still a little dry so Im going to try some of the tips you guys listed.

Im going to agree with @kaycook and say maybe the DevaCurl products were causing my hair to become dry. Im going to start using [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] next week or whenever it arrives in the mail. :)

thanks again guys.
    have u tried coconut oil as a leave in?
    hair type: 4a VERY dense u39v2snfy.png

hair goal
    = WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil
    :love5:
    2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!":afro:

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
    perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”:wav:

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

• PrincessLoopyPrincessLoopy Posts: 89Registered Users
    ~Coconut oil.~

I use it all the time and my hair definitely shines...
    Plus, it's a good natural hair strengthener so you're giving your hair not only shine, but you're also helping it. :):thumright:

event.png

Naturally coily, 4a when wet, 4a and 4b when dry and loving it. Low porosity, Medium-High Density, Coarse/Thick textured :happy7:
    It's my hair and if people don't approve they should take it up with the creator, not the creation. : )
    have u tried coconut oil as a leave in?

no but I will give it a try. Im going to heat up some extra virgin olive oil I have here and use that as a deep treatment today, hopefully it will help some.

event.png
  • KurleeEdnaKurleeEdna Posts: 714Registered Users
    Yes, coconut oil!
    Someone had mentioned mixing a few drops of coconut oil with their gel for shine. (Not only that, but it keeps your gel from crunching up your hair.)
    This worked for me. :icon_smile:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' "
    - Charlie Brown
    HEY!!! Follow me at http://www.twitter.com/kurleeedna
  • pjjosephgisspjjosephgiss Posts: 643Registered Users
    Hi!
    I found the Deva products drying with continued use. So as not to waste the money, I keep them in my rotation, but don't use the entire line, and use them with other products. Have you tried Karen's Body Beautiful products? Check out her website. One word of caution- some ppl find her products heavily scented, so if you are sensitive, beware! not really sure where you live, but if you are near NYC, the store is in Bklyn- very sweet place! I also find that Qhemet's Amla Olive Heavy Cream, and Burdock Root Butter Cream for daily moisture is good. Some ppl find them a bit pricey, but a little goes a very long way. They even left the unruly patches on the sides of my head feeling soft! Lastly, Aubrey organics Honeysuckle Rose condish is great for moisture, and if you can use oils, coconut, or olive is great- I cant do that- oils make me crispy...good luck! HTH...;)
    Hair type-BC: 2/2011-mix of kinks+ coils
    Wash-Bobeam Poo bars, As I Am Cleansing Pudding and Coconut Cowash cleansing condish
    LI/RO-Curl Junkie rehab, Shescentit Avocado condish, Oyin Hair dew
    DT-KBB Luscious Locks, Curl Junkie ANYthing, Shescentit Avocado condish
    Style- UFD, Camille Rose, Hello Curly, Kinky Curly
    Sealant- Jamaican Black Castor and Avocado oils, Qhemet Biologics Honey & Olive Hydrating Balm
    Will try any CG product at least once.
    Proud to be a PJ!
    :happy7::wave:
  • OnyxK.OnyxK. Posts: 157Registered Users
    coconut oil, jojoba, *castor oil* or if you rather have a product u could return if u hated it.- Shea moisture hair sprays @ Target. i think one of them is for shine.

i havent used any of the sprays though.gl
    4a/b-whatever! with a twa
    hair properties: fine,porous,dense
    :blob7: SheaMoisture Coconut hibiscus Line:blob7:
  • princessai16princessai16 Posts: 125Registered Users
    Straight hair and curly/coily hair refract the light differently, so you won't get the same shine. You can get a nice sheen from smoothing a drop of your favorite oil on your hair when it is dried. I like Qhemets Castor & Moringa serum because it softens and adds shine. A good pomade or butter type product will do it too.

Try overlaying a little castor oil over the Recoil and Beauty serum, before gelling with the ArcAngel.

I have super tight 4a coils that shine just as readily as my 3c, sometimes even more. It looked like I used major gel on my 4a, but I didn't, it's naturally VERY SHINY and silky.
    Medium/thick/thin strands
    medium fine front thick back
    deep condish lutrasilk herbal
    moisturize with softn nfree milk protein and olive oil[
    3c/4a half and half ♥
    Love my curls, kinks, coils, napps, corkscrews.
    styler is ORS smooth n hold pudding♥
    Transitioning ended--> forced into relaxer
    If all goes well, will transition in 2012 :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file