Hair hates products with rave reviews

Does anyone else's hair seem to hate (or at least not like) products that get rave reviews? Because I know my hair sure does.

I don't know what it is, if my hair is trying to be non-conformist or what, but if it gets rave reviews by everyone else, my hair will most likely hate it.

My hair has hated with a fiery passion most humectants (especially aloe vera juice/gel and glycerin), HEHH, Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner, gels (especially Eco Styler), castor oil, and co-washing (whenever my hair isn't desperately dry). Also, most of the time, I cannot use regular conditioners as leave-ins. It just turns out to be a horrible, terrible mess. And then my hair has hated shea butter (most other butters) for the longest time, until I finally figured out a way to incorporate it/them into my routine. And this is just a really short list of popular things my hair has hated. I could go on for days.

Then my hair seems to enjoy things that aren't as popular. Like, for example, I know many people around this hair board are protein-sensitive. My hair sure isn't; it needs occasional protein treatments because it gets over-moisturized so easily. It also does completely fine with 'cones, and shampoo has been the best cleanser I've tried so far (and I've tried a lot).

I don't know, maybe it's because my hair is fine, or maybe it just wants to be a weirdo. :bounce: I'm fine with it, now that I'm finally figuring out my hair's likes and dislikes. Does anyone else's hair hate rave reviews?

Comments

• MagooMagoo Posts: 2,173Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're not alone. My hair is very, very picky and has a lot of sensitivities to many ingredients (proteins, oils, panthenol to name a few) so it reacts negatively to many products out there since many contain at least one of those ingredients. Very rarely does my hair like some of the most popular products on here.
    3b/c fine, thick, porous, protein sensitive
    Modified CG, CJ Rehab, JCWDT, KCKT, VO5 Chamomile Tea Therapy, CJDF, HEBE Gel/Mousse, Bioinfusion Rosemary Mint shampoo, occasional protein

Experimenting with BRHG

"If you want the rainbow, you've gotta put up with the rain"
  • lovemycurlzlovemycurlz Posts: 330Registered Users
    SummerRuby wrote: »
    Does anyone else's hair seem to hate (or at least not like) products that get rave reviews? Because I know my hair sure does.

I don't know what it is, if my hair is trying to be non-conformist or what, but if it gets rave reviews by everyone else, my hair will most likely hate it.

My hair has hated with a fiery passion most humectants (especially aloe vera juice/gel and glycerin), HEHH, Garnier Triple Nutrition conditioner, gels (especially Eco Styler), castor oil, and co-washing (whenever my hair isn't desperately dry). Also, most of the time, I cannot use regular conditioners as leave-ins. It just turns out to be a horrible, terrible mess. And then my hair has hated shea butter (most other butters) for the longest time, until I finally figured out a way to incorporate it/them into my routine. And this is just a really short list of popular things my hair has hated. I could go on for days.

Then my hair seems to enjoy things that aren't as popular. Like, for example, I know many people around this hair board are protein-sensitive. My hair sure isn't; it needs occasional protein treatments because it gets over-moisturized so easily. It also does completely fine with 'cones, and shampoo has been the best cleanser I've tried so far (and I've tried a lot).

I don't know, maybe it's because my hair is fine, or maybe it just wants to be a weirdo. :bounce: I'm fine with it, now that I'm finally figuring out my hair's likes and dislikes. Does anyone else's hair hate rave reviews?
    You are so right SummerRuby! Thank you for saying EVERY THING I had been thinking for a while. Hmph...
    Coarse--M. Porosity--Frizz Prone--3/3b hair. HATES: Glycerin , Mineral Oil,various proteins,silicones.

Wash: L'oreal Ever Pure for color treated hair
    Condish : Terax Crema (simply the best)
    Leave-In: KCKT
    Prep: ? Looking for the HG
    Curl Enhancer: Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm
    Stylers: PM Foam
    Love: ACV rinses and baking soda washes. :flower:

• finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    I'm somewhere in the middle. I like some things everyone else likes, but eh.

My hair also doesn't ever EVER get enough protein. In fact, depending in what rinse-out I use, I have protein in every step of my routine.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • CurlyMomCurlyMom Posts: 334Registered Users
    My hair also doesn't ever EVER get enough protein. In fact, depending in what rinse-out I use, I have protein in every step of my routine.

+1!! I'm still trying to find my protein threshold. Yesterday and today I used Nexxus Emergencee with no condish rinse out or leave in and my hair is shiny soft and bouncy. I still can't believe it. I really don't know how many culies can actually do this, but, obviously, I need TONS of protein!
    2c/3a/3b Fine/med texture, normal porosity, normal elasticity
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm somewhere in the middle too.. I usually don't have any luck with gels or mousses, aloe hates me, but protein, shea butter, and olive oil love me.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • ShahanaShahana Posts: 15Registered Users
    My hair hates almost everything as well. I tried leaving conditioner in and oh, what a disaster. The raved abouts suck for me too. My hair is fine and weightless and it seems like everything makes it dry and dull and sad. I'm still searching for a perfect weightless weight if that makes sense. My hair needs major weight but without being heavily coated.. a girl can dream I guess.
  • FairlyCurlyFairlyCurly Posts: 839Registered Users
    My hair definitely reacts badly to magnesium sulfate no matter what, which is why I hated the ever popular [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink]. Otherwise, I don't know that my hair really hates anything. It's just that I have to constantly rotate my products so that it doesn't get overloaded on any one ingredient. I need a balance of humectants and proteins during the week.

As Marsha from Curl Junkie said, our hair may not hate a particular ingredient. It just may not like the way it's formulated in a particular product. I could say that my hair hates aloe, but it depends on how much aloe is in a product and how it's formulated with all of the other ingredients in that product.

But my hair definitely hated Mop Curl Creme, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (the smell of that was horrendous).
    3a/3b, Fine, low porosity.
  • krispykrispy Posts: 320Registered Users
    This is defintely true for me too. I get so excited by all the rave reviews for something (curlkeeper, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG recoil[/buylink], Kinky curly custard...and more I can't remember right now) that i buy them. Then they NEVER seem to work for me!!!!! It's frustrating to me because I see all the pics of girls with beautiful shiny curls - I'm happy for them , really :D ), but I am still searching for my HG !! I've come farely close with my current stuff, but that doesn't mean I'm not interested in the new CJ stuff coming out tomorrow !!
    2c/3a

Worrying doesn't take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace

Best combo so far:
    SheaMosture Curl and shine milk , Ouidad heat and humidity gel
  • moo49moo49 Posts: 118Registered Users
    Yeah, my hair is so like that. I can't stand it. My hair hates most things everybody likes. Its very picky on what is put on it. Or when I put it on, it feels great on the hair but when I wash it out...its not so great.
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    CurlyMom wrote: »

+1!! I'm still trying to find my protein threshold. Yesterday and today I used Nexxus Emergencee with no condish rinse out or leave in and my hair is shiny soft and bouncy. I still can't believe it. I really don't know how many culies can actually do this, but, obviously, I need TONS of protein!

I'm generally like this as well - though I over-did the protein once and it was a horrible, horrible 2 weeks when I attempted to get my hair back into condition.

I agree with the OP about the product issues. A lot of the things that people absolutely go nuts over here my hair seems to go 'meh' at. KCCC? Flash drying these days. KCKT? Sorry, what moisture? HEHH? This is supposed to do what, exactly? CCCC? Starting to leave me tangled and dirty-feeling in the evenings. GVP? I may as well have poured straight acetone on my head. Clipping makes me look ridiculous, even once I take the clips out. ;-)

My hair does like some of the popular stuff, but I'm learning (or more accurately, my bank account is teaching me) that just because something looks like it should be good or because everyone likes it that doesn't necessarily mean it'll work in the slightest for me. I'm starting to just stick with what I know.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • SaroyanSaroyan Posts: 398Registered Users

I'm generally like this as well - though I over-did the protein once and it was a horrible, horrible 2 weeks when I attempted to get my hair back into condition.

I just posted a thread about this... my hair's the same way. I did protein treatments with heat two nights in a row without deep conditioning (or even regular conditioning) afterward, and my hair is looking a lot better. How did you overdo it? I've been half convinced my hair doesn't have a protein limit, but what you describe sounds scary.
    2a, very fine, very thick, protein-loving, not especially porous. cg since july 2010.

cleanse: cj daily fix, vo5 vanilla mint tea
    condition: marie dean anything, db pumpkin seed, cj curl assurance, cj beauticurls
    style: cj beauticurls leave-in, cj curl queen, cj cccc lite, kccc, homemade fsg, db coconut & hibiscus oil, ecostyler
    treatments: ss repairing protein, ss deeply decadent
    techniques: icequeen, plopping, scrunching upside down, pixie diffusing
  • oddityofwingsoddityofwings Posts: 1,261Registered Users
    Saroyan wrote: »

I just posted a thread about this... my hair's the same way. I did protein treatments with heat two nights in a row without deep conditioning (or even regular conditioning) afterward, and my hair is looking a lot better. How did you overdo it? I've been half convinced my hair doesn't have a protein limit, but what you describe sounds scary.

I managed to do it last time I was on a plane, if that makes sense. Back in April, I came back to the UK from the US and had two weeks of bizarrely dry and straw-like hair, but only when I used protein. I think what happened was a combination of the following:

~ 3 weeks of ultra-soft water (US) to the Hardest Water in the UK (tm). The mineral build-up on my porous hair was very odd and completely immediate. I also think doing PTs with soft water, particularly if you cleanse first, allows more protein in - meaning it's easier to reach maximum. I think the combination of maximum protein at home and then getting back here and using any protein at all combined with the mineral content overdid it.
    ~ Something about the 8 hour flight. Not sure what. I expected it to dry out my hair, but this was a whole other beastie (and I didn't have the same problem going the other direction). There might also be something to do with the cold weather when I was back in the US - not sure how much that had to do with it.
    ~ The majority of my hair was now just medium-porous rather than super porous because I'd hit a point where most of my hair had been grown in the last year while I was CG. I think that made a big difference - whereas my heat-damaged hair could take loads of protein, my new hair simply didn't like it in excess.
    ~ I was also very ill at the time - God knows what that did to it.

I ended up with hair that acted coarse and non-porous, even though it's quite fine and porous. It wouldn't get wet, then it wouldn't dry. Anything with protein in it would immediately turn my hair into straw, even if it was sopping wet. It took a week of daily DTs and then two weeks of spritz-n-condishing to get my hair back to normal.

Ironically, I was frizz-free and my hair curled beautifully while I had protein-overload.
    3b/c. Fine, med-high porosity, normal elasticity. Hair loves oils in summer, protein in winter. Constantly battling the hard water monster.

Favourites:love5::
    CJ Curl Theory, Curl Rehab, Smoothing, Curl Fix, Daily Fix, CCCC, CIAB, CQ, SSCC, MC shampoo, Inecto Pure Coconut Oil, CP luscious curl creme (summer), DB Pumpkin Seed (summer), FD/MT, JCWDT, JCTS

American literature PhD student in the UK... :study:
  • FrizzBgoneFrizzBgone Posts: 2,678Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I definitely felt that way when I first came to nc.com. At that time, everyone was RAVING about Devacurl. A fortune spent later ... if one product didn't work, it must be because I needed the whole line to achieve success ... :confused3: By the time I paid shipping to Canada for all that stuff, I spent a fortune on a line that never worked for me. I think I may have achieved decent hair once, but was never able to repeat it. I then moved onto [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Kinky-Curly-Curling-Custard-p-778.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=kinkycurly-curling-custard]KCCC[/buylink] and again - had great results just enough to keep me wanting more, but I was never able to achieve any consitency with that product either.

Rather than go by rave reviews, I look at who is raving !! I got to know who my hair twins on the site were. When they said something worked for them, I paid close attention.

Just a thought ... Some products that I totally gave up on have now become some of my favourites. It was the way I was applying them that didn't work, but once I tried a different way (usually thanks to a hair twin describing her method), I got a number of products to work for me. Just something else to consider, before you kick some to the curb!!
    Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
    ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
    Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
  • Jess the MessJess the Mess Posts: 5,844Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fairewood wrote: »
    My hair definitely reacts badly to magnesium sulfate no matter what, which is why I hated the ever popular [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink]. Otherwise, I don't know that my hair really hates anything. It's just that I have to constantly rotate my products so that it doesn't get overloaded on any one ingredient. I need a balance of humectants and proteins during the week.

As Marsha from Curl Junkie said, our hair may not hate a particular ingredient. It just may not like the way it's formulated in a particular product. I could say that my hair hates aloe, but it depends on how much aloe is in a product and how it's formulated with all of the other ingredients in that product.

But my hair definitely hated Mop Curl Creme, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]AG Re:Coil[/buylink] and [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curly-Hair-Solutions-Curl-Keeper-p-28.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=curly-hair-solutions-curl-keeper]Curl Keeper[/buylink] (the smell of that was horrendous).
    I agree with the bolded. My hair hated anything aloe and almost anything protein. But in most CJ products it loves them. Go figure.

When your hair is sensitive to a popular ingredient it sucks. I still struggle with it. It seems like everything has aloe in it. Grrrr...
    High Priestess JessMess, follower of the Goddess of the Coiling Way and Confiscator of Concoctions in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think I'm sensitive to any particular ingredient but I know my hair hates certain products but no line altogether.

SS CEJ, SS FHG, Ecostyler (flash drying), [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]re:coil[/buylink] to name a few.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file