So why did the demi-permanent dye not work?

erin_merin_m Registered Users Posts: 64
Alright, so I got some Wella Color Charm demi-permanent hair dye in the fiery red color. I followed all of the instructions on the box with adding the right amount and right type of developer, let it sit for the proper amount of processing time, and my hair hardly looks red, only at the points where the dye stuck to my scalp in my part and some of the little smaller pieces in front, too! Grrrr. What could I have possibly done wrong?
Mostly 2B with some 2C on a good day, M/Ciii
Shoulder length, and I use permanent hair color.
Started modified CG 6-20-10
Conditioners: Suave Naturals, Garnier Triple Nutrition

Low poo: L'Oreal Everpure
Styling: The Body Shop's Cottonseed Curl Boost, HESMU (winter), LALSG and LALCG (summer),
Hair hates: magnesium sulfate (extremely drying!), glycerin in the winter.

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    What level was the color (the number preceding the color) and was it substantially lighter than your hair? Was your hair already colored?
  • erin_merin_m Registered Users Posts: 64
    It was level 6 if I'm remembering correctly. It wasn't much lighter than my hair, just more red in color. My hair used to be a light brown/dark blonde color about 2 years ago, then I went for various shades of deeper reds (all permanent dyes). The reds faded and I didn't dye my hair for several months, and now here I am trying again.

Styling: The Body Shop's Cottonseed Curl Boost, HESMU (winter), LALSG and LALCG (summer),
    I'm gonna go to Sally Beauty Supply where I bought the dye and see if they can give me any advice. I might try to dye it again, since I can see that it's just a tiny bit more red than it was, I just want it to be brighter. Plus I have a stupid patch in the front near my roots where it's brighter red than the red of my head and the color I want my hair to be. Evil hair....

Went to Sally's, figured it out. Because of the level it didn't turn out as bright, plus I forgot just how dark my natural color growing in was...:oops:
    It still got somewhat red, just not as bright as I wanted it. I might go back later for a permanent color.

Unless you have pretty light hair to begin with, you won't get bright from a demi-perm. You need lift; which is why I was asking. Also, demi-perm doesn't always deposit well over hair that's been colored extensively. You may actually find, depending on how much you've colored, that a permanent process won't give you results as bright as you like without either a higher (30 vol) developer or, more likely, an initial bleaching or color removal process, as the developers typically used in permanent color (20 vol) aren't sufficient to lift dye.
  • SalamanderSalamander Registered Users Posts: 328
    I agree with what CurlyToast said, plus also keep in mind that the existing ash/gold tones in your hair will affect how red a demi-perm color will be. If you are an ash-toned dark blond, you'll get a much less bright red color than a golden-toned dark blond as the ash will cancel some of the red.

You might get redder results going a level or two darker, though if you're after bright red, I think permanent would be your best bet.

If you *really* love red and want to be red FOREVER, you might try henna. My natural color is about a Level 7 dark blond and when I hennaed over that it was RED RED RED RED. It was actually much too red for my tastes, but if you like red a lot it might be worth looking into.
    2a/b right now; 2c when it's longer
    Fine/iii density/high porosity

Current favorites:
    Suave Naturals Coconut co-wash
    GVP Protein Restructuring Conditioner
    GVP Conditioning Balm
    Eco-Styler, LALSG, BRHG, Garnier Curl Shaping Spray Gel
    ACV rinse 1x per week
    I went for permanent in a similar shade last night and it seemed to work better. I used 20 volume developer as suggested but I think next time I'll use 30 instead to get it a bit brighter/lighter. It still looks good, although my roots took up a little too much dye.... I'm still learning more and more about using the professional dyes. Maybe I'll go to they beauty school in town and let them dye my hair. Last time I was there most all of the students had cool haircuts or haircolors.

As for henna, I was considering it, but afraid of how it would react with the color already in my hair. I'd rather not have it turn a funny color....

Body Art Quality henna won't really react strangely with extant color -- henna can really only get one tone and that's red. How dark/light just depends on the base color.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file