To cut or not to cut...?

DanaeDanae Posts: 45Registered Users
I've been wanting to get my hair cut so I bought some magazines but most of the styles would never work for me. I decided this one looks the most feasible.

HAIRRR.jpg

I've got a few problems though.

1) I've got really long hair right now and I like to be able to put my hair up. So I was wondering if it would still look okay longer, maybe an inch or so past the shoulder.

2) My hair is really (REALLY) fine and thin.

3) I've never been able to straighten my hair because it just gets poofy and ugly, so I don't know if the bangs would work or if they'd even be able to cut it. (I've never tried having my hair professionally straightened.)

Sorry this is so long, I just don't know what to do :-(

Comments

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    I've got really fine and thin hair also. I don't think I'd ask for this cut. You can tell they really placed her curls in the exact spot so her hair wouldn't look flat. If you are a scrunch and go kind of girl (as most of us def are) I think it'd get difficult to handle. If you don't have a VERY trustworthy stylist, she could also end up ruining your hair. If you ask for a 'style' like that she could layer inappropriately and just end up thinning your hair and destroying curl patterns. It can be difficult to keep your ends moisturized too. I've had several cuts like this and very much regretted them. I don't think the bangs would be too big of an issue if you are prepared to straighten them. You could actually use different product on them than your curls? I have longer hair then what is showed in the photo and I still have trouble putting my hair up. Pieces tend to fall out. And the pony looks kinda short and stubby. I'm not a huge fan of that. I like a low long pony.
    Long story short I'd stay away from anything layered... it's super risky. I've walked out of stylists just bawling. They act like they totally know what they're doing, compliment your curls, etc. etc. I don't ask for "layers" anymore. They say it builds body in fine hair, but I think it's for straight haired girls. The less layers I have, the fuller my hair looks and I can muss it up to create the body.

Hope that helped a bit!
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • CurlyToastCurlyToast Posts: 579Registered Users
    Layers, in curly or straight hair, provide shape and can help with body. The trick is trusting the stylist. I cannot and would not have hair all one length -- granted, mine is insanely thick, but even if it weren't I'd still want layers to add . . . shape. I think the cut would be super cute on fine curly hair.
  • DanaeDanae Posts: 45Registered Users
    Thanks you guys!
    More questions..
    How did you guys go about finding a stylist? Did you just try new ones until you found someone you liked...? 'Cause I don't have a stylist and there's only about 3 salons in town. I'm terrified they're going to ruin my hair somehow... (I haven't exactly had pleasant experiences with professional hair cuts.)

As for layers, my hair needs them, or it turns into a triangle.

*Sorry about the slow response, I was at my grandmother's over the last few days.
  • Lucky CharmLucky Charm Posts: 1,250Registered Users
    Danae wrote: »
    Thanks you guys!
    More questions..
    How did you guys go about finding a stylist? Did you just try new ones until you found someone you liked...? 'Cause I don't have a stylist and there's only about 3 salons in town. I'm terrified they're going to ruin my hair somehow... (I haven't exactly had pleasant experiences with professional hair cuts.)

As for layers, my hair needs them, or it turns into a triangle.

*Sorry about the slow response, I was at my grandmother's over the last few days.
    I found mine (I frequent between two salons, same story for each) here . The Salon finder is great because of the real reviews. I followed up my research on citysearch.com and I couldnt be happier! Its hard to find a good curl stylist, it pays to do your research before hopping stylist to stylist.
    - 2C - Coarse Canopy & med/fine underlayers
    - MOP C Hydrating 'poo
    - LOreal Natures Therapy Moisturizing condish, ION Effective Care, Garnier S&S (old formula)
    - treatments: CJ Curl Rehab, CJ Repair Me!
    - plopping, diffusing, and clipping the roots
  • aislinaislin Posts: 864Registered Users
    I've got really fine and thin hair also. I don't think I'd ask for this cut. You can tell they really placed her curls in the exact spot so her hair wouldn't look flat. If you are a scrunch and go kind of girl (as most of us def are) I think it'd get difficult to handle. If you don't have a VERY trustworthy stylist, she could also end up ruining your hair. If you ask for a 'style' like that she could layer inappropriately and just end up thinning your hair and destroying curl patterns. It can be difficult to keep your ends moisturized too. I've had several cuts like this and very much regretted them. I don't think the bangs would be too big of an issue if you are prepared to straighten them. You could actually use different product on them than your curls? I have longer hair then what is showed in the photo and I still have trouble putting my hair up. Pieces tend to fall out. And the pony looks kinda short and stubby. I'm not a huge fan of that. I like a low long pony.
    Long story short I'd stay away from anything layered... it's super risky. I've walked out of stylists just bawling. They act like they totally know what they're doing, compliment your curls, etc. etc. I don't ask for "layers" anymore. They say it builds body in fine hair, but I think it's for straight haired girls. The less layers I have, the fuller my hair looks and I can muss it up to create the body.

Hope that helped a bit!

+ 1, but - the part about no layers. I have sickly fine and thin hair, and layers have ALWAYS given me more potential for volume and body, when my hair is short as it is now as well as when it was almost arm pit length and I had "long" layers put in- I had to specifically ask for it like that. However, I think this may have more to do possibly with whether or not you get weighed down easily for example. I tend to get weighed down incredibly easy, so layers helps me get rid of some weight without losing length or wurl pattern.

The pics that you posted of the cut you want looks seriously razored to me... razor cuts tend to totally screw over the curl pattern. The curl version of the cut looks like it was curled using a curling iron. Honestly it just looks like some type of highly layered bob- I wouldn't think that would be too hard to get someone to understand, but then again I've thought the same thing and walked out with ruined hair.

I hope you'll post pics when you decide on what you're going to do! New styles are always a blast! :-o
    Wurly, fine, thin, moderately to heavily porous. Mod CG.

• DanaeDanae Posts: 45Registered Users
    The salon finder only has one salon listed for my state... and there's no way I'll find someone to drive me 4+ hours to get a haircut... So I guess I'll just have to pick one in my area and hope for the best... I am going on vacation later this month, so maybe I could find a curly salon there... I'll check it out.
    Ahh, It's so stressful! :study:

And I will be sure to post pics when, and if, I get it done.

Again, thanks for all the help! =)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file