CG Day One

Today is my very first day as a CG... and guess what? My hair looks awful! :angry4:

Trying to have faith!

2a-3a fine
CG since June 30 2010

Currently experimenting with:

AOHR no-poo and conditioner
AO Blue Green Algae Hair Rescue
Elucence Volume Designing Foam
AG Re:coil
Curl Junkie Curl Fuel Curl Enhancing Spray

Comments

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Aw, what's wrong with it? Greasy? Try scrunching in baby powder at the roots. Put your products in your signature and start asking around! Maybe it's your products causing whatever issue you have.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • nodiddilynodiddily Posts: 17Registered Users
    Aw, what's wrong with it? Greasy? Try scrunching in baby powder at the roots. Put your products in your signature and start asking around! Maybe it's your products causing whatever issue you have.

Not greasy, just flat and droopy...

I bought a few new products from CurlMart to experiment with. Today I used [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Volume-Designing-Foam-p-407.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Elucence-Volume-Designing-Foam]Elucence Volume Designing Foam[/buylink] but it was drying very strange so I re-soaked it and put in some AG Re:coil. Then I didn't touch it til it was dry and SOTC. Perhaps just too much product?

And how do I make a signature? (sorry I'm a noob)

2a-3a fine
    CG since June 30 2010

• OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users
    Did you do one last sulfate wash to get all the -cones out of your hair? Buildup can definitely make you droopy and flat.
    Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
    Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
    Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

http://public.fotki.com/OperaTeacherMom/hair-going-cg/

CG since 5/8/10
    Where it says "welcome" up at the top and then your username/messages. Under that, click the arrow next to "quick links". Then "edit signature". =)

Probably just too much product. And a resoak without washing can make me droop. Tomorrow's a new day. Try something totally different. How are you drying? Diffusing can make my hair look bad. Use a paper towel and scrunch out moisture after applying product. It helps it air dry quicker. Tell me how Day 2 is tomorrow ^^
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    Sorry about the rough first day! If it is any consolation, I think most people have an "adjustment" period. My hair was very weighed down from cowashing for a couple weeks to a month after I started. I agree that it might just be too much product (or buildup if you didn't clarify before starting). You might fare better if you use a really simple routing at first, like just using one or two products. I started off just using gel until my hair finally adjusted. Keep us posted!
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!
  • curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    Check out www.livecurlylivefree.com. You'll be very much helped and incouraged!
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
    Agreed with curlyohio! And this site is fun:
    http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html

And this is kinda silly, but I google image 'curly hair' when I need a pick me up and a reminder of my goals.
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=curly+hair&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • SpeirsArtSpeirsArt Posts: 43Registered Users
    Id love to give you advice to make it better, but honestly mine was disgusting the first 3ish weeks or so. just throw it in a ponytail and wait it out...i promise it will get better...and i was a doubter!
    feel free to check out my artwork
    www.rachaelspeirs.com

Medium on top, coarse underneath, med-high porosity
    was 2B on top 3A and 3B underneath
    but since growing out and going CG I am now a combo of 3A and 3B with 3C underneath
    CG
    Love: coconut oil, lavender EO, GFTN
    Growing out since 2008, down past collarbone but I want it past my bra strap...I long for a giant head of long soft curls:sunny:
    Where it says "welcome" up at the top and then your username/messages. Under that, click the arrow next to "quick links". Then "edit signature". =)

Probably just too much product. And a resoak without washing can make me droop. Tomorrow's a new day. Try something totally different. How are you drying? Diffusing can make my hair look bad. Use a paper towel and scrunch out moisture after applying product. It helps it air dry quicker. Tell me how Day 2 is tomorrow ^^

Thanks for the tip... I'm definitely going to try the paper towel tomorrow.

2a-3a fine
    CG since June 30 2010

• HotroxHotrox Posts: 26Registered Users
    And this is kinda silly, but I google image 'curly hair' when I need a pick me up and a reminder of my goals.
    http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&q=curly+hair&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

That is genius, what beautiful curls :love4:

I will do this when I'm having an 'I hate my curly hair'
    day
    Curl type: 3a
    Texture: normal
    Porosity: normal
    CG: Since 15th June 2010, abandoned on the 19th. Modified CG since 20th June.........

Low Poo: Aurstalia Organics
    CO: Natures Gate mosituring condish
    Style: V05 Wavy Gel
    Day two = MUCH better, although there is still a lot of room for improvement (as expected.)

I did a DT treatment last night and I couldn't believe how much my hair drank it up!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! :thumbleft:

2a-3a fine
    CG since June 30 2010

nodiddily wrote: »
    Day two = MUCH better, although there is still a lot of room for improvement (as expected.)

I did a DT treatment last night and I couldn't believe how much my hair drank it up!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement! :thumbleft:

Glad to hear it! It took us all lots of time to find out what properties our hair had and what products work for it. Don't worry, you'll totally get the hang of it. It's fun and addictive after awhile. Soon enough your hair will look even more amazing (love it in your display picture)! And it's the best thing for hair health.
    Keep at it!
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    You know what another good one is, Receiving blankets. I swear by them. they are thin as thin can get, and still soaks up enough water.

~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.
  • dannysgirl777dannysgirl777 Posts: 70Registered Users
    This is what I have been doing...waiting it out. I figure it might take a while. It took years to mess it up. I think it might still be mad at me ;)
    SpeirsArt wrote: »
    Id love to give you advice to make it better, but honestly mine was disgusting the first 3ish weeks or so. just throw it in a ponytail and wait it out...i promise it will get better...and i was a doubter!
    ~Kristen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<<-working my way back to this!!
    My hair when I was 17 and had no idea how to flatten it.
    You know what another good one is, Receiving blankets. I swear by them. they are thin as thin can get, and still soaks up enough water.

Wow, that's a good idea too! It'd be so gentle.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • OperaDivaOperaDiva Posts: 354Registered Users

You are a genius, I'm so trying that tomorrow.
    Jessica, proud mama to Hunter (9-18-09)
    3a/F/ii, high porosity

Products
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut, V05 Volumizing
    Conditioner: AOGPB, Garnier Sleek and Shine
    Leave in: Suave Naturals Tropical coconut
    Gel: LA Looks Mega hold, Ecostyler Black, SOTC with shea butter/cocoa butter/sweet almond oil
    Off-day spritz: Lavender mist
    Hair likes Obscene amounts of protein
    Hair dislikes
    Too much oil

http://public.fotki.com/OperaTeacherMom/hair-going-cg/

CG since 5/8/10
  • veezorveezor Posts: 42Registered Users
    I'm kinda glad someone else is having this issue! I thought I was alone in having the weighted down thing going on. It almost completely discouraged me, but now I just do a cowash every few weeks in case I do get a product build up issue. But even that seems kinda odd considering I only use a light serum.

Thanks everyone who posted suggestions!
    veezor wrote: »
    I'm kinda glad someone else is having this issue! I thought I was alone in having the weighted down thing going on. It almost completely discouraged me, but now I just do a cowash every few weeks in case I do get a product build up issue. But even that seems kinda odd considering I only use a light serum.

What do you do in between your cowashes? Anything?

I've always washed my hair EVERYDAY (sometimes twice a day) the thought of not washing my hair daily really freaks me out. Wont my hair get greasy or oily?

2a-3a fine
    CG since June 30 2010

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte

I've always washed my hair EVERYDAY (sometimes twice a day) the thought of not washing my hair daily really freaks me out. Wont my hair get greasy or oily?

I water wash between cowashes or low poos. I usually alternate: low poo one day, water wash the next, cowash the next, water wash, then it starts over again with low pooing.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

veezor wrote: »

Agree with Asianrunner, rotating is really good. I use sulfate free Giovanni shampoo one day, put my hair up in a bun and don't wash it the next if I get good curl formation, use [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/DevaCurl-LowPoo-p-54.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=devacurl-devacurl-lowpoo]Deva Low Poo[/buylink] the next day (more moisturizing than Giovanni), then Giovanni again the next. You don't have to get totally caught up in a routine like: 'Okay, I can only co-wash on these days other than that I'm stuck.' You can just rotate as needed with products. It's never a good feeling to feel stuck like that and panic because you need to be at work/class (I hated that feeling when I started). Make sure to feel the texture of your hair. Is it too soft/greasy? Maybe it's time for a stronger sulfate free poo. Is it kind of coarse? Maybe time for just a co-wash. Are your curls looking great? Try going for second day hair and put your hair in a bun while you take a shower. Remember ACV rinses and lemon rinses are an option too. That, and using a sulfate shampoo if necessary and starting over if a bad product really got to your hair.
    3A~fine texture
    PW curlyhair
  • TrixieTrixie Posts: 260Registered Users
    I still "wash" my hair every day with something. I usually do a lowpoo one day, then cowash the next two days, and then repeat. Or I just alternate lowpoo and cowashing. The key is to find out what works for your hair and scalp. Mine was NOT happy about cowashing every day...it made my scalp get little bumps. Hope your routine is working itself out!:batman:
    Somewhere between a 2b/c and a 3a

Current product favorites
    Cleansers: Giovanni TTTT shampoo, Deva No-Poo, Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner
    Conditioners: Tigi Moisture Maniac, Yes to Cucumbers, GVP Conditioning Balm, AOHR
    Stylers/Gels: KCCC, SS CEJ and FHG, AOMM, BRHG, LA Looks Sport Gel, Lustrasilk (winter), Pink Boots (winter)
    Henna glosses!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file