"She lives for her hair..."

KerricurlsKerricurls Posts: 104Registered Users
My mama used to get annoyed by the amount of time I spent taking care of my hair.

About 2 years ago when I decided that I wanted grow long healthy hair, I started spending more time in the bathroom 'learning' my hair.
She started telling everyone that I "live for my hair" and I started to get embrassed that I cared for my hair :-(.
Now though, I'm happy that I put all that time and effort into my hair, as my hair is now longer and healthier. And now she even asks for advice and help when it comes to hair care :toothy7:.

Has anyone ever gotten annoyed with time, money and effort that you put into your hair?
Hair Type: Tight curls (a mix of 3c and 4a)
Favorite Products: Shea butter, Herbal Essences hello hydration and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
Hair Blog: http://growmecurly.blogspot.com follow me on my blog as I record my hair journey!
Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/kerrishennel/
Christian/Life Blog: http://mygodmylife.blogspot.com Life as a twentysomething Christian :thumbup:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    no! no one gets annoyed with me because they know i wouldn't give a damn about their annoyance :sign5: i can see you (gy) re-evaluating but not others.

too funny that your mom wants advice now! gotta love it :blob7:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your hair, IMO, as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession, which I think can do more harm than good.

For me, the less I fret and pick at my hair, the more it grows. Being natural for so long, I don't have the excitement of being natural that I used to. My hair's so thick, it takes forever to complete one style which is partly why I'm locking it.
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yep, my bf doesn't understand why I "need" to buy stuff all the time and have a bathroom full of products...and I'm like, get off me! Also, people think that b/c I shop for products and research hair a lot, I am doing so much to my hair, when in actuality it takes me like, five minutes to do. So I mean, let them get annoyed, it's your hair not theirs!
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • HipsterSoulHipsterSoul Posts: 1,017Registered Users
    There's nothing wrong with wanting to take care of your hair, IMO, as long as it doesn't turn into an obsession, which I think can do more harm than good.

For me, the less I fret and pick at my hair, the more it grows. Being natural for so long, I don't have the excitement of being natural that I used to. My hair's so thick, it takes forever to complete one style which is partly why I'm locking it.

My SO would sometimes get annoyed that I would need to twist it at night. He'd be like " just leave it out and come to bed".

Other than that, no, besides myself getting annoyed at the time and effort.
  • tuuttietuuttie Posts: 84Registered Users
    I spend a lot of time researching and learning about hair because I seriously know nothing about my hair! When I was relaxed it was always in a bun or flat ironed all the time (I'm shocked I had hair on my head with all the heat I used) and I always went to a stylist for my hair to get done because I couldn't take of care of it on my own. How sad is that. :sad8:
    Last relaxer: June 16, 2009
    First and LAST texturizer: September 30, 2009 :angry4:

BC 1: September 30, 2009 (Horrible!)
    BC 2: November 10, 2009
    BC 3: November 24, 2009

Hair Type: :dontknow:

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE! :happy10:

• greenandchicgreenandchic Posts: 2,584Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No one cares how much time I put into my hair. My BF supports me in everything I want to do for it. He loves my natural hair AND has no idea what it takes to keep it strong and healthy. He has shorter, straight hair and it takes him 3 minutes in the morning after he showers to fix it. When we go to Whole Foods, he KNOWS I'm going to head over to the skin and hair section (K-C) or shop on Sephora.com (Carol's Daughter), etc. He expects it and is OK with it, LOL.

My guess is, people are so used to these weaves, and wigs that takes less time in the morning in general these days. Back in the day when it was all press-in-curl for me, it took the same amount of time if not longer to get my hair together in the morning - not to mention two hours a week at the salon to get my hair done.
    APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
    My Fotki!
    Below: Typical PS bun
    004-vi.jpg
  • KerricurlsKerricurls Posts: 104Registered Users
    tuuttie wrote: »
    I spend a lot of time researching and learning about hair because I seriously know nothing about my hair! When I was relaxed it was always in a bun or flat ironed all the time (I'm shocked I had hair on my head with all the heat I used) and I always went to a stylist for my hair to get done because I couldn't take of care of it on my own. How sad is that. :sad8:

I know, I hated the fact that my stylist was the only one who knew how to do my hair...especially since I saw it getting thinner and shorter.
    Favorite Products: Shea butter, Herbal Essences hello hydration and Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
    Hair Blog: http://growmecurly.blogspot.com follow me on my blog as I record my hair journey!
    Christian/Life Blog: http://mygodmylife.blogspot.com Life as a twentysomething Christian :thumbup:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »
    too funny that your mom wants advice now! gotta love it :blob7:

I know! I had a little 'I told you so' moment :laughing7:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LadyV69LadyV69 Posts: 3,397Registered Users
    I live alone, so there's nobody around to get annoyed with how much time I spend on my hair :D
    Fine haired, low density, highly porous curly kinky lady
    Last relaxer: Not sure. 3/08 or 4/08
    BC'd: 9/18/09
    Co-wash: Suave Naturals, HEHH, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, CJ Daily Fix
    Leave-In: KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In, CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Stylers: ORS Twist and Loc Gel, KCCC, Ecostyler, SheaMoisture Deep Treatment Masque
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair, CJ Deep Fix

http://confessionsofladyv69.wordpress.com/
    LadyV69 wrote: »
    I live alone, so there's nobody around to get annoyed with how much time I spend on my hair :D

I live alone too, but that doesnt mean I'm alone every morning. :)
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • dc05dc05 Posts: 275Registered Users
    Yes.

I research & learn and then apply... because of this I am laughed at, get eyes rolled at me smart remarks everything you can think of when I try to pass on my knowledge to others.

Prime example one person in my household was always riding my back about washing my hair and using so much condtioner blah blah blah on and on they went day after day.People were also always riding me about hiding my hair.. why dont I wear it out etc...

Well to their surprise I actually knew what I was talking about, one day (back when I was relaxed) i got my 6 month touch up and lo and behold I was at hip length. Not only was I hip length but my hair was healthy, full, shiny, bouncy and looked like silk.

needless to say no one ever said anything about my hair again..

That is until Iw ent natural and started putting banannas in it..

:hello2:

But this time instead of ridicule me they just ask questions!...and this time i can tell they know there is a method to my "madness".

Let your hair speak for it self. When you are at tailbone (literally, not an exaggeration) they will stop talking.
    :blob8:24 Months Post Relaxer :blob8:

*Length : BSB (Below Shoulder Blade)/ Brastrap Length
    *Long term goal: TB length (stretched of course)
    *Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:
    dc05 wrote: »

Let your hair speak for it self. When you are at tailbone (literally, not an exaggeration) they will stop talking.

Yes! I remember one time someone was laughing at how much conditioner she saw me purchase at one time. When she stretched out my hair as saw it was bra strap length (in a ponytail), she was silent.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • AmberBrownAmberBrown Posts: 1,072Registered Users
    My mom definitely get's exasperated with me at times. Not because she dislikes natural hair, but because of the $ (lol considering she still supports me I can't even be mad at her) and my time spent (wasted). She thinks I should spend more time on school and that my hair takes away from that...I think I'm a junior in darn college and can budget my own darn time. Lol, in the end she deals and we share a lot of hair tips and techniques between us so it's not like it's a taboo subject.

Yes! I remember one time someone was laughing at how much conditioner she saw me purchase at one time. When she stretched out my hair as saw it was bra strap length (in a ponytail), she was silent.

Exaclty. SMH. People can be very... for lack of a better word (since we are mainly discussing family members here), ignorant. They just really don't know. But thats okay now they know :)

When I was hip length my cousin couldn't believe it... I wanted to be like see... although she didnt make fun of me, everyone else did. let me tell you no one had ANYTHING to say. AT ALL. No one made not one comment.

Now I am back at SL since I went natural :/... thats ok it will grow lol!

*Short tern goal: Mid-back length (stretched -- by June 2011) / Shoulder length (FULL) curly:glasses2:

Exaclty. SMH. People can be very... for lack of a better word (since we are mainly discussing family members here), ignorant. They just really don't know. But thats okay now they know :)

When I was hip length my cousin couldn't believe it... I wanted to be like see... although she didnt make fun of me, everyone else did. let me tell you no one had ANYTHING to say. AT ALL. No one made not one comment.

Now I am back at SL since I went natural :/... thats ok it will grow lol!

Geeze! Do you have photos of your hair back then??
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
    No ma'am :( I do not. I miss my hair alot. I was okay until about 3 months ago and I started to miss my length. This is the shortest (between SL and APL) that my hair has ever been so it was a big change!

Ill send you some in about 3 or 4 yers when Im back at hip length :laughing8:.

I am short so it wont take that long for me to get there. I do plan on growing it back to that length. I think that is the longest I'll let it get.

• ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    Wtf are you doing to your hair that takes hours.. even when my hair was to my butt i never put time into it.. i'm just curious what you are doing to make sure you have healthy long hair?
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
  • Eighty7Eighty7 Posts: 109Registered Users
    My mom gets annoyed when Im online looking at natural hair journeys or reading about natural hair in general.
    she says Im obsessed.
    I'm just on here to learn some tips and see what Im going up against since I dont really have anyone to show me the way.

But oh well, she will get over it.
    Last Relaxer : March 2, 2010.
    Big Chop : June 8, 2011
    Eighty7 wrote: »
    My mom gets annoyed when Im online looking at natural hair journeys or reading about natural hair in general.
    she says Im obsessed.
    I'm just on here to learn some tips and see what Im going up against since I dont really have anyone to show me the way.

But oh well, she will get over it.

Since it looks like you are JUST starting, she will have to get used to it, especially since you're alone in this.
    My Fotki!
    004-vi.jpg
  • Fantastic1221Fantastic1221 Posts: 356Registered Users
    I get annoyed sometimes...but I just remind myself why Im doing this and what will I get in the long-run.

I spend just as much money on my hair as anyone else (I feel). I try not to look at it as a chore but a commited relationship to something that I care for and want to prosper.
    3c front crown,4a in middle back
    LOIS: OS, thin, dense, cottony

http://dtcp.tumblr.com/"]My Blog
    Hair Regimen

event.png

event.png

event.png

:happy3:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file