Liv

famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
I use Liv in two of my three daughter's hair and I love the look I get using it as a styling product but it dries their hair out. I know I got the same results with cantu and I know it has protien so I wonder if it's a protien problem.

So my question is, is their a product like Liv that will add moisture instead of drying their hair?

thank so much. You are alway sooooo helpful. This is the best forum for hair and with 4 heads to do in my house not sure how I got along without it for so long.

FAMU's darling
Me: 3c, very thick
BC- May 2010
Current routine:
pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
Co-wash: GVP CD, TJ tea tree
Leave-in: GVP CD, TJ tea tree, and grape seed oil
Styling: HETT and castor oil
DD (8 & 6 yo): both4s (1 thick, 2 thin) – keep in 2strand twists
DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection

Comments

• eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Liv has petroluem and mineral oil, if my memory serves me correctly, so no they won't moisturize the hair as they generally coat and block out moisture. That's why they hair feels or becomes drier because there are no true moisturizers in that product.

I use cantu and haven't had issues w/the protein or dryness, but I also use a moisturizing cream overtop(Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer)

Protein in normal doses is not bad(on healthy hair), unless their hair has problems absorbing product and it just winds up sitting on their hair, which can cause dryness as well. If it does, you need to utilize heat for it to penetrate properly. And by heat, I mean maybe using a hooded dryer to open up the cuticles, or maybe putting a cap over their heads(while soaked with conditioner) and then placing a towel on their hair so that their body heat can open up the cuticles, letting the product absorb better.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • famus_darlingfamus_darling Posts: 85Registered Users
    thank you for the explanation of both products an the tip. I am going to try the heat and the Elasta QP. I think I've seen that product in the beauty supply store or Sally's.
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
    pre poo: avacado, banana babyfood, grapeseed oil, and silk amino acid. Cleanser: DC No Poo 1x a week and BC 1x a week. DT: GVP Cond balm and grape seed oil
    DD (4yo): 3b (very thin, hard to grow) – keep in single braids with lots of beads for protection
  • Cali ChikCali Chik Posts: 1,494Registered Users
    thank you for the explanation of both products an the tip. I am going to try the heat and the Elasta QP. I think I've seen that product in the beauty supply store or Sally's.
    My hair hates Cantu and Live as well. It makes my hair greasy feeling with no real moisture. I don't know of too many products in a local Beauty Supply Store that work for me at all really. I do wanna try that Elasta QP stuff tho. My favorite products are actually the hair creams and butters I bought online from www.curlsbysisterssmith.com and www.darcysbotanicals.com
    subbrock wrote: »
    - don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.

www.lifestarbeauty.com
    Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr

• hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    cantu has silicones maybe that's the issue. i don't think i've ever heard of liv. my hair doesn't mind mineral oil or petrolatum in products but cones are a whole 'nother story.
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    OMG. I can't believe I just got that cones =silicone! It's like a light bulb went off above my head!

I just bought some of the Elast QP. I'm Going to try it on the little one's hair this afternoon. I'm going to try check online for the other products later.

THANK YOU
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    you're very welcome! i hope you get to the root (no pun intended) of the issue!
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    hippychic wrote: »
    cantu has silicones maybe that's the issue. i don't think i've ever heard of liv. my hair doesn't mind mineral oil or petrolatum in products but cones are a whole 'nother story.

That's a good point. Everyone's hair responds differently to these ingredients, but petroleum and mineral oils are harder to remove than the one silicone in the Cantu.

Question, famus_darling....What were the results you liked from the Liv? Was it the slick-look? I know a former poster here(Portia) used to use that to slick her hair down. If you want a smoother-look with their hair, I get similar results with Kemi-Oyl Shea Butter Pomade. Or you can use a gel like Fantasia IC over a good (mostly water-based) leave in, smooth it in with a soft boar brush and then cover with a satin scarf.

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
    dbl post....sorry

DC metro area
    yes, I like the slicked down look I get. I use the Liv with ponytail twists when we aren't sporting our regular two strand twists. I guess I always assumed it added moisture as well as smoothing it dow. Now I know better!

I have some of the IC gel here at the house. I think i've tried it but I may have used too much. I didn't realize kemi oyl made had a poemade. I'll have to check it out when I make my way back to the hair supply store. I swear my husband has a heart attack everytime he sees a new hair related charge! :)
    BC- May 2010
    Current routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file