Long Aid is My Bish... (Pics!)

EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I NEVER thought I would be using anything with the word "activator" in the name, but man, I love this stuff! Since my hair has grown, it's been getting more difficult for me to do a number of things - detangle, distribute product, etc... I usually just rake over the top, but the product does NOT get anywhere near my roots, which becomes so frizzy as my hair dries.

Yesterday, I decided to divide my little fro into four sections and rake products in that way to ensure it was getting to my roots - didn't even take long. I used the Shea Moisture Curl and Hold Smoothie, Long Aid, CIAB...then messed up the parts in my hair and put a bit of AV gel on top. Izzy was SO soft and shiny with minimal frizz! I know it's the Long Aid that really helped b/c it's one of the only gels I use that dries soft (and softens other stylers). I don't even think I get enough moisture from CIAB alone.

Woke up this morning, and my hair was still soft and I refreshed with some condish/oil spritz. Loving this gel.

Just thought I'd share! It's so cheap!!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube
Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Comments

• Nicky791Nicky791 Posts: 679Registered Users
    Awesome! I'll have to revisit long-aid, I used it during my transitioning period.
    Last Relaxer: March 26 2009
    Mini Chop: January 16 2010
    BC: April 4 2010
    Transitioned for 1yr 9days!
    Fotki: http://members.fotki.com/Nicky791/about/
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nicky791
  • tuuttietuuttie Posts: 84Registered Users
    Beautiful! :love4:

I also love that hair color!
    Last relaxer: June 16, 2009
    First and LAST texturizer: September 30, 2009 :angry4:

BC 1: September 30, 2009 (Horrible!)
    BC 2: November 10, 2009
    BC 3: November 24, 2009

Hair Type: :dontknow:

I AM A PRODUCT JUNKIE! :happy10:

• murrrcatmurrrcat Posts: 9,596Registered Users
    where do you buy this at?
    tumblr_mji9u1Fwza1rh1wv4o1_500.jpg
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    turtles wrote: »
    it took me a while to find it. finally found some in a bss. it doesn't seem to be carried by every bss.

glad you found something that works ellepixie!:toothy7:
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    hippychic wrote: »
    it took me a while to find it. finally found some in a bss. it doesn't seem to be carried by every bss.

glad you found something that works ellepixie!:toothy7:

Thanks, y'all!

I got mine at Walgreens, $7 for 32oz. I think it's a bit thick for me to use alone, so I always put a lighter styler on top to dilute it a little.
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Looking good girl! Plus I see the Curl smoothie worked well. ;)
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter

It did, but I need to play with it some more...it foamed in my hair like a conditioner and I didn't even use much! It was really weird.
    YouTube
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ellepixie wrote: »

It did, but I need to play with it some more...it foamed in my hair like a conditioner and I didn't even use much! It was really weird.

Yes its very thick so I always need to distribute it by mixing AOMM or AVG with it in my hands before putting it in to reduce the foamy issue.
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • *Marah**Marah* Posts: 8,032Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh my Ellepixie.. your hair looks amazing in those photos..just gorgeous curls everywhere and no fricken frizz...swoooooooooooooon!

I like Long Aid too on those occassions when I used gel because I couldn't find any drugstore gel that didn't dry my hair out..(well until I learned about coconut oil and gel combos)..but I had to stop using Long Aid cause where I live it had gotten so humid and you know that Long Aid is filled with glycerin..and on my porous hair.. lawd it swelled up like big mamma's feet when she done had to much salt in her diet that week.

But I will say Long Aid definitely kept my hair moisturized and soft all day. So I definitely liked it and I will probably go back to using it occassionally in the Fall or Winter.
    tumblr_m9jonzYZmu1re7hjjo1_250.jpg
    Oh my Ellepixie.. your hair looks amazing in those photos..just gorgeous curls everywhere and no fricken frizz...swoooooooooooooon!

I like Long Aid too on those occassions when I used gel because I couldn't find any drugstore gel that didn't dry my hair out..(well until I learned about coconut oil and gel combos)..but I had to stop using Long Aid cause where I live it had gotten so humid and you know that Long Aid is filled with glycerin..and on my porous hair.. lawd it swelled up like big mamma's feet when she done had to much salt in her diet that week.

But I will say Long Aid definitely kept my hair moisturized and soft all day. So I definitely liked it and I will probably go back to using it occassionally in the Fall or Winter.

:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

Thanks Marah!! :blob7:

And ITA about the glycerin, luckily I live in SoCal and it's not very humid here! I'm trying to decide if I can use this in DC though...b/c it's gross there in summer.
    YouTube
    I wish I knew what it was like to have dry heat and not moist heat.
    I wish I knew what it was like to have dry heat and not moist heat.

Surprisingly, each day when I look up the dew points here they are in the high 50s, which I wouldn't expect. So it's definitely not as dry as Nevada, which is why I think the Long Aid works on my hair.
    YouTube
  • CurlyIvy08CurlyIvy08 Posts: 31Registered Users
    Last relaxer: May 2009
    Last texturizer: July 2009
    BC: January 21, 2010
    Type: 4-something

Butter: Shea Butter mixed with EVOO/jojoba oil/tea tree oil/castor oil :love10:
    Vitamins: prenatal or multivitamins
    Moisturizer: Water and Vegetable glycerin
    Sporting protective styles since Feb 2010
    YouTube
  • springyheadspringyhead Posts: 350Registered Users
    Godgeous! Beautiful hair, Ellepixie.

And one "activator" ain't equal to another. You know, I tried to break my affair with long aid this weekend and bought smooth -n- shine's activator gel. My hair was so dry a few moments ago that I rushed from work to the closest CVS to purchase another big tub of long-aid. I smoothed it in the dryest part of my hair and now it's all better :)
    4a, fine coils. low/med porosity. "It's springy. Like a slinky."--My Lil' Cousin

I use products on 90% dry hair.
    Wash: Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castille Soap.
    Conditioner: Tigi Bedhead Moisture Maniac/Suave Humectants
    Moisturizers: Long Aid
    Styler: Ecostyler Clear/ Vitamin E Oil
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sooooo puuuuuuurty!!! :notworthy:
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • Mona906Mona906 Posts: 59Registered Users
    Your hair came out so nice. Long aid has shown some very good results when used just right and not to much.
    *Been natural all my life, and still finding out ways to make it better.*:read2:
    *Hair type- 4b/4a
    *Hair regimen- Still not sure :dontknow:

"Incredible God deserves Incredible Praise"
    Thanks all for the compliments! I am really looooving this combo!

039-vi.jpg
    YouTube
  • cassadie3cassadie3 Posts: 506Registered Users
    looks fantastic! def gonna have to try this stuff!

but, ahem, miss. pixie, is that Long Aid a new product you purchased over there?
    :::::::joie de vivre:::::::
    last relaxer: November 2008
    big chop: November 2009
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity

cassadie3 wrote: »
    looks fantastic! def gonna have to try this stuff!

but, ahem, miss. pixie, is that Long Aid a new product you purchased over there?

NO, it is not, MOTHER! I actually bought this a few weeks ago...and well...technically it was in June but I was having a really bad day so this was an "approved" purchase (yes I actually had to have someone regulate my no buy month, I cheat alone...lol).
    YouTube
  • rosscdrosscd Posts: 464Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    I NEVER thought I would be using anything with the word "activator" in the name, but man, I love this stuff! Since my hair has grown, it's been getting more difficult for me to do a number of things - detangle, distribute product, etc... I usually just rake over the top, but the product does NOT get anywhere near my roots, which becomes so frizzy as my hair dries.

Yesterday, I decided to divide my little fro into four sections and rake products in that way to ensure it was getting to my roots - didn't even take long. I used the Shea Moisture Curl and Hold Smoothie, Long Aid, [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink]...then messed up the parts in my hair and put a bit of AV gel on top. Izzy was SO soft and shiny with minimal frizz! I know it's the Long Aid that really helped b/c it's one of the only gels I use that dries soft (and softens other stylers). I don't even think I get enough moisture from [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] alone.

Woke up this morning, and my hair was still soft and I refreshed with some condish/oil spritz. Loving this gel.

036-vi.jpg

024-vi.jpg

031-vi.jpg

Just thought I'd share! It's so cheap!!

Why oh why did I see this. I have everything but the long aid. Will stop by Walgreens on the way home....
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
    rosscd wrote: »

Why oh why did I see this. I have everything but the long aid. Will stop by Walgreens on the way home....

I mean...it definitely costs less than a sandwich in LA. Do it do it do it.
    YouTube
  • GoddessLalaGoddessLala Posts: 351Registered Users
    BEAUTIFUL curls!! *adds another product to my purchase list*
  • rosscdrosscd Posts: 464Registered Users
    @Ellep I already picked the Longaid up. I will let u know how it turns out.

Ok no more products til I work through my cabinet...
    4a Curly :icon_smile:

Been natural since Jan 09. BCing is my thing!! Love to keep a tight TWA!

My Staples:
    CJ Smoothing Conitioner, CJ Daily Fix,Cherry Lola Treatment, CJ CCCC, CJ Smoothing Lotion, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Majic, KCCC, Eco Blue and KMF UMG
  • empressriempressri Posts: 4,812Registered Users
    gorgeous!!! that stuff doesn't make your hair too soft in the summer??
    Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
    "Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
    [/B]
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    ellepixie, gorgeous curls.

I love me some activator gel. The best leave-in under Ecostyler.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • QVCDivaQVCDiva Posts: 1,329Registered Users
    Godgeous! Beautiful hair, Ellepixie.

And one "activator" ain't equal to another. You know, I tried to break my affair with long aid this weekend and bought smooth -n- shine's activator gel. My hair was so dry a few moments ago that I rushed from work to the closest CVS to purchase another big tub of long-aid. I smoothed it in the dryest part of my hair and now it's all better :)

Agree with the bold. I had been using Right On Curl which I like but the Long Aid is so much better.
    Last Relaxer: 09/19/08
    BC: 01/30/09
    Misc: 1st time going natural was '94-'98; 2nd time - '99-2003; This time I will not go back to relaxers.
    http://public.fotki.com/QVCDiva/
  • ~Curly~~Curly~ Banned Posts: 772Banned Users
    You're hair looks lovely I want my curls to pop like that lol

I think i tried this a few years ago and didnt like it..which one are you using?

07059600368_155x155_a.jpg 07059603733_155x155_a.jpg
    "Relaxer free Since 2003"
    3C in constant search for something that works!

3C/4B(hairs that act 4b even if they technically aren't) no clue what i'm doing..:geek::hello2::afro:
    I will respond as I see fit. It should be about freedom to express our opinions, You're free to say what you like as should others. Get a Thicker Skin if no one can disagree with you without you feeling bullied and running to Admin Hellllllpppppp Meeee Adminnnnn Pleaseeee!!!! Smh
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your hair is looking wonderful!
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file