Help a Newbie Out? Products

Hi all! Brand new here, I just discovered the site last night and got obsessed. I stayed up half the night, but there is a lot to take in. I am ridiculously awful at being concise so fair warning. I ramble. I promise I won't take it personally if no one reads all of this.:tongue5:

A little about me and a few questions. I believe I am a 3a, with fairly porous hair. My hair is about down to my bra strap, with long layers. I am not planning on trying to go CG at this point. I only have so much time and attention to put into my hair and I have such a naturally oily scalp (and dry ends), that it just doesn't appeal to me at this point.

My past care routine involved Pantene shampoos and conditioners. I was fairly happy with them until I colored and lightly highlighted my hair recently. I had my hair colored with Aveda products at a professional salon. My natural color is a very dull, mousy light brown. I had some partially grown out home lightening color left and it just looked a mess, though my hair was soft and pretty healthy! So, I had the whole thing dyed back to fairly close to my natural color (a smidge darker maybe) and then a few highlights added. I couldn't believe how drying that was to my hair. It seemed like it was worse than when I was using home kits to lighten and then highlight, though I may have just forgotten. Instead of feeling silky straight out of the shower and being easy to brush, it now feels like a dry mess. Though it doesn't look super brittle, dry or fried after styling. Anyway, that's what really motivated me to looking for a better way to do things.

Currently I'm using those Pantene Shampoos and conditioners and on the suggestion of my stylist the Aveda brilliant Damage Control spray straight out of the shower. (Mostly to protect from sun damage, as I naturally dry my hair about 85% of the way and just use the dryer for maybe 1 minute upside down to finish and floof.) I have noticed no improvement in hair quality from this product. It's still very dry feeling and tangly after applying, but hopefully it's protecting at least. Immediately after spraying in the Damage Control and brushing I combine a small amount of Aveda be curly Curl Control and Aveda be curly Curl Enhancer. I'm actually very happy with how my hair does with the two be curly products, but I don't know how bad they are for it. After what I read last night, I'm going to try using my large tooth comb while my conditioner is in in the shower, so I don't have to do all my detangling and brushing after I get out.

Last night I purchased some new shampoos and conditioners from the store here after comparing reviews and prices for hours.

I have coming:

Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo
Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment
Elucence All Day Hold Spritz

I generally shampoo just the roots of my hair which get very oily, very quickly and then kind of let the poo run down my hair to clean the drier ends. I was pretty sure I didn't want to go sulfate free on the shampoo. This seemed like a reasonably priced, well reviewed grouping of products that might work for me.

So, finally, on to my questions:

How bad/OK are the Aveda products? I notice they have alcohols in them. I can't figure out what else they have in them, as it's all still Greek to me!

I think, since I'm not going sulfate free on my shampoo that I probably actually will want to use a product with a mild silicone in it. I realized that the shampoo, conditioner and deep conditioner I got are all silicone free. That's great, but my hair has always done well with some silicone. I feel it will lose it's shine and be too frizzy with none at all. I don't understand all the chemical terms enough to know if I'm getting those in my Aveda products or not.

I also have Aveda Brilliant Spray-On Shine which I currently only use occasionally (man does it smell good!). However, I see that the first ingredient is denatured alcohol, which I read here is very drying. So, probably not a great product to use on my already dry ends, right?

Oh yes and I use Frizz-Ease Secret Weapon fairly often on the second day. It's going to be awfully challenging for anyone to talk me out of that product! I love that stuff and have never found anything that as quickly or naturally defrizzes and brings my curls right back to where I want them. It's the one product I never allow myself to run out of!

I guess when my products get here, I will just try the same basic routine replacing the shampoo and conditioners to see how it does. Unless you guys convince me I should ditch the Aveda stuff.

If I need more shine and frizz control (silicones), what would everyone suggest for my styling products?

Comments

• curlyinohiocurlyinohio Posts: 362Registered Users
    I know you said you don't want to go CG, but since you said right after that, that your scalp is oily and your ends are dry, that's really the best piece of advice you could get. Stopping sulfates would cut back on the oilness alot, AND your dry ends. I'm not trying to make you do what you don't want to do, it's just the way it is. My scalp was a greasepit, and once I stopped the sulfates, the oilyness stopped too, and my ends don't get dry anymore. That's how it usually works. What happens is, the sulfates actually CAUSE oiliness, because it throws those oil glands into a panic, making them secrete more oil, to fight the drying traits of the shampoo. And since your ends are so far from your scalp, where the oil comes from, they don't even stand a fighting chance against the sulfates that keep on being applied to them. After a few weeks without sulfates, those oil glands slow down significantly, because they sense that the oil is simply no longer needed, meaning, no more oily scalp! It really does work. And if you're not drying the ends out with shampoo, you won't even need the silicones. You can get shine and smoothness without them.
    Cowash: Suave Aloe and Water Lily
    Conditioner and Leave-in: GFTN
    LA Looks Sport Gel
    Coconut oil Or Olive oil at night
  • ExtraHannahExtraHannah Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much curly! That actually made a lot of sense. I'm doing more reading of articles and such as well, now that I'm awake.

I'm going to stick with what I ordered for now and see how my hair does that way. I think, hope, I at least chose a pretty mild poo with good moisturizing characteristics and some good conditioners.

However, if I'm not happy with my results, I may get brave and take the plunge to try going CG. It is such a new idea to me at this point, that I'm just not ready for that big of a change. I did try a month or so ago, skipping a shampoo and just scrubbing and was so disappointed with how greasy my hair was. However, I realize that it will take much longer than one day for my scalp to adjust.

I will give things a try without the silicones for now and see how my hair does...
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    For your Aveda question, I believe the Rosemary shampoo is CG. Also some sort of pomade? Check here:
    http://healthycurls.awardspace.com/free.html

I have an oily scalp and dry hair. It's the worst, isn't it? You're like- Um, which one should I attend to? I've figured out a way I can finally do both. It's all about how you use your products not what they are (though it IS important to find the most delicate ingredients you can get for your hair without it getting too greasy and getting a curl).

First, put conditioner in your length on DRY hair. The conditioner will penetrate better without your hair being wet. Use as much as you'd like. I use a good quarter sized blob but you'll probably need more. Massage it into your length (kinda scrunch it up towards your scalp and rub it around).
    I leave mine in while I work out. If you can't wait though, that's okay. Just get in the shower. Wash your body or something or do other things like shave if you can to let the conditioner soak in. This is also kind of like doing a deep treatment but I do this daily.
    Next, I use a low poo, aka a sulfate free one. I use Giovanni Tea Tree Shampoo from Wal-mart. Wet your hair a TINY bit. It doesn't need to be soaking. Just so your scalp is moist and your conditioner is still there. DON'T rinse it out. Then shampoo ONLY your scalp. Don't touch those ends. When you rinse, they'll get clean. Add a bit more water. Then scrub some more. You are still using a sulfate free poo and need to use some elbow grease. After you rinse, add more conditioner. This can be a heavier one or the same one you used before. Scrunch it into your length ONLY. Let it penetrate a bit. Then rinse out with cold water.
    I adore this routine. Cuts back grease, moisturizes my hair... perfection.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • pedahehpedaheh Posts: 4,812Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with curlyinohio. As I read your post I was thinking your hair sounds tailor made for the CG method. Your "naturally oily" scalp is probably not natural at all all, but a reaction to sulfates. CG doesn't work for everyone, but you sound like a good canidate.
    It sounds like you probably have porous hair now due to they color damage. I'm not familiar with the products you are using, but I think something with protein is a good idea. If you have fine or medium texture, I'd suggest a protein treatment to repair the damage. This article explains the protein moisture balance in hair. It is about african american hair, but applies to all hair.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/278612/the_fine_art_of_protein_and_moisture.html?cat=69
    If you are going to use cones, PEG and PPG cones are water soluble (and CG approved). Amodimethicone and Bis (something) dimethicone are partially water soluble and easier to remove. cones that start in cyclo- evaporate off the hair.
    Dimethicone is the hardest to remove.
    The frizz ease stuff has a cone as the 3rd ingredient. it is very cone heavy and you will have to wash your hair more often (damaging the hair further) to remove it.
    Welcome to NC.com and good luck with your hair.
    http://pedaheh.blogspot.com/ (a blog to help new wavies, go to the how do I get started page)
    2a (nc.com) 2bFi (Fia), very fine, thin, low/normal elasticity, porous, CG, doesn't get weighed down
    Cowash: Tresemme naturals
    Rinse out/leave in: Renpure Organics (red)
    Curl enhancer: FSG
    Gel: BRHG, Salon care aloe, Ecostyler Krystal (normal dews)
    PT: ION effective care, IAgirl's gelatin PT
    Low Poo: renpure (red), Ion swimmers
  • ExtraHannahExtraHannah Posts: 3Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone! Lots of good information, ideas and things to think over.

Kelly, I'm going to try your conditioning method! I didn't realize that there was a sulfate free poo available at Wal-mart either. Wow!

I really don't know if it has any impact, but my hair has changed a great deal in my life time. It has always been naturally on the oily side, though it used to be all of it, not just the roots. I'm guessing that's because it was also all stick straight. I mean I grew up with perfectly straight, shiny locks. They wouldn't even hold curls. Mom would hot roll it for me every once in awhile and it would fall out within an hour or so. I'm not sure when exactly it started changing. Like the rest of the universe I permed my way through the 80's. :laughing9:

Then, in my 20's it was still straight, but didn't seem quite so extreme. I decided to fix it one morning the same way I had when it was permed. I dried it flipped over and scrunched while I blew. I almost hit the floor when I flipped back and saw curls! :eek: Talk about a shock!

All through my 20's I could easily fix it straight by using conditioner and brushing while drying or curly by skipping the conditioner and scrunching. After 30 or so it began to become curlier and curlier.

I am no longer capable of blowing it straight. An occasional, talented, hair dresser with the right products can get it mostly straight with a dryer, a round brush and much more patience than I have. I flat ironed it a few times and it would look great for a few hours and then start to frizz. So, I gave up and embraced the new me! I've kept the oiliness at the scalp, but probably due to the curl and the color it's now much drier on the ends.

And that's my hair's life story. :laughing9:
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Thanks so much everyone! Lots of good information, ideas and things to think over.

Kelly, I'm going to try your conditioning method! I didn't realize that there was a sulfate free poo available at Wal-mart either. Wow!

I really don't know if it has any impact, but my hair has changed a great deal in my life time. It has always been naturally on the oily side, though it used to be all of it, not just the roots. I'm guessing that's because it was also all stick straight. I mean I grew up with perfectly straight, shiny locks. They wouldn't even hold curls. Mom would hot roll it for me every once in awhile and it would fall out within an hour or so. I'm not sure when exactly it started changing. Like the rest of the universe I permed my way through the 80's. :laughing9:

Then, in my 20's it was still straight, but didn't seem quite so extreme. I decided to fix it one morning the same way I had when it was permed. I dried it flipped over and scrunched while I blew. I almost hit the floor when I flipped back and saw curls! :eek: Talk about a shock!

All through my 20's I could easily fix it straight by using conditioner and brushing while drying or curly by skipping the conditioner and scrunching. After 30 or so it began to become curlier and curlier.

I am no longer capable of blowing it straight. An occasional, talented, hair dresser with the right products can get it mostly straight with a dryer, a round brush and much more patience than I have. I flat ironed it a few times and it would look great for a few hours and then start to frizz. So, I gave up and embraced the new me! I've kept the oiliness at the scalp, but probably due to the curl and the color it's now much drier on the ends.

And that's my hair's life story. :laughing9:

I think hair changes every 10 years? It's not an exact number, but your hormones are different every 10 years of your life so I'm guessing that's why that number is chosen as an example. My hair got curly when it hit puberty. It was curly when I was little too but a different curl pattern. Then it went flat at 10-12 then curly again at 13. Odd, huh?

Yes, you should totally try it! I really love it. And once your hair gets under control, your curls will be much more forgiving. When your hair is curlier it also hides greasiness. Using baby powder in a pinch helps me too. What color is your hair? Darker colors help hide greasy roots. I dyed mine a dark brown just so I could hide it. Better for my hair health to have a wee bit of grease sometimes =)
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • springlilyspringlily Posts: 59Registered Users
    oopps sorry, wrong place