CIAB confusion

JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
I know there have been threads on [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] before, and I have read them, but I'm a bit confused by this stuff and I'm hoping for more direction on how to use it. My first issue is that I'm not realy sure what it's supposed to do. Is it for frizz? Conditioning? I've tried using it a few different ways, and I can't see that it's doing much other than adding a bit of shine. The one thing I do notice about this stuff is that it makes my hair almost TOO soft and silky --kind of like it's weighing my hair down and the curls seem to droop a bit.

I tried using it underneath my curl cream and my gel, and it didn't seem to do much. I did that for about 3 days. Then yesterday, I used my curl cream and then gel, then blotted out the excess water and then I scrunched in about three quarter sized puddles of this on top. My hair looked decent but it was VERY producty after I SOTC it had that "producty frizz". Today I used it after the curl cream and gel, but I put it on before I blotted. Decent hair again but the curl was a bit droopy and still had a bit of frizz.

Am I just using too much of this product, or is there something I'm missing?
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.

Comments

• NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    JLeighs wrote: »
    I know there have been threads on [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink] before, and I have read them, but I'm a bit confused by this stuff and I'm hoping for more direction on how to use it. My first issue is that I'm not realy sure what it's supposed to do. Is it for frizz? Conditioning? I've tried using it a few different ways, and I can't see that it's doing much other than adding a bit of shine. The one thing I do notice about this stuff is that it makes my hair almost TOO soft and silky --kind of like it's weighing my hair down and the curls seem to droop a bit.

I tried using it underneath my curl cream and my gel, and it didn't seem to do much. I did that for about 3 days. Then yesterday, I used my curl cream and then gel, then blotted out the excess water and then I scrunched in about three quarter sized puddles of this on top. My hair looked decent but it was VERY producty after I SOTC it had that "producty frizz". Today I used it after the curl cream and gel, but I put it on before I blotted. Decent hair again but the curl was a bit droopy and still had a bit of frizz.

Am I just using too much of this product, or is there something I'm missing?

CIAB is a serum that defrizzes and conditions the hair. It can be used alone by some or on top of everything else to lock in the style and control frizz. CIAB is pretty concentrated by itself so I think you're using too many supporting products with it and that's where the issue is coming from.

Gel creme plus gel plus CIAB? That's too much and the frizz you're experiencing may be from overconditioning. CJ products are ultramoisturizing so you can't use them/combine them with too many things IMO. CIAB is best used over a simple LI/gel combination, and depending what condition your hair is in you can just use gel +CIAB. This how I use my CIAB mostly with Ecostyler krystal underneath and my curls come out wonderfully. There is also the issue that the products you're layering don't play well together...

So try using either gel creme + CIAB or +/- LI with gel + CIAB and see how that works out.

HTH
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice

CIAB is a serum that defrizzes and conditions the hair. It can be used alone by some or on top of everything else to lock in the style and control frizz. CIAB is pretty concentrated by itself so I think you're using too many supporting products with it and that's where the issue is coming from.

Gel creme plus gel plus CIAB? That's too much and the frizz you're experiencing may be from overconditioning. CJ products are ultramoisturizing so you can't use them/combine them with too many things IMO. CIAB is best used over a simple LI/gel combination, and depending what condition your hair is in you can just use gel +CIAB. This how I use my CIAB mostly with Ecostyler krystal underneath and my curls come out wonderfully. There is also the issue that the products you're layering don't play well together...

So try using either gel creme + CIAB or +/- LI with gel + CIAB and see how that works out.

HTH

Thanks! The other products I'm using are Re:coil and KMS which are not moisturizing, and the reason I added CIAB is because I need a bit more frizz protection. I forgot to mention that I did use CIAB on its own and with just a gel (weeks ago), and the results were less than stellar. I did get the frizz reduction but I also got droopy curls.

I did find another CIAB thread that I had previously missed, and there I found a link to Marsha's blog and a tutorial on how to use the CIAB. She mentions mixing it with a gel, so I'm going to try that today and see how it works. :)
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    Mixed with gel is definitely the way to go for me. I washed with CJDF, no rinse-out or LI, then raked through a little more than a quarter-sized amount of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink], and then I scrunched in two nickel-sized blobs of KMS mixed with an equal amount of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink]. Results: glass-shiny, FRIZZ FREE perfect spirals from the root on down, and they are touchably soft --no producty feeling. :toothy9:
  • NaturalistaNaturalista Posts: 5,491Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Mixed with gel is definitely the way to go for me. I washed with CJDF, no rinse-out or LI, then raked through a little more than a quarter-sized amount of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/AG-Recoil-p-24.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=ag-hair-cosmetics-recoil-curl-activator]Re:coil[/buylink], and then I scrunched in two nickel-sized blobs of KMS mixed with an equal amount of the [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle-p-995.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=Curl-Junkie-Curls-in-a-Bottle]CIAB[/buylink]. Results: glass-shiny, FRIZZ FREE perfect spirals from the root on down, and they are touchably soft --no producty feeling. :toothy9:

Yippy!!! ^5!!!! :)
    Type: 3c with some 4a highlighted
    Low porosity thick/coarse texture. nml elasticity
    Routine: No rules, just happy hair

Cleanse: CJDF, Prell, LUSH Curly Wurly, Bobeam
    LI/RO:BBB, CJ, SheaM, HEHIS, Garnier, KBN Shealoe, CD Chocolat, Oyin HH
    Styling: CJ, CR, UFD, Zuresh, Ecostyler,MJ
    PT/DT: BBB, CJ, Lather, MJSSB

HUGE PJJJJJJJJ!!!!:love4:

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]]
    Facebook|Twitter
  • finaleofseemfinaleofseem Posts: 900Registered Users
    Glad you got it to work for you! That's how I use it this summer, because I was also getting the droopy curl problem. I don't know how your hair reacts in the fall/winter, but in lower dews (in the 40s and below) I can use CIAB without mixing it with my gel with no issues because my hair needs more moisture then.
    2b/cMii, medium-high porosity

Likes protein and most oils, HATES mineral oil
    Summer Routine
    Poo: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Cowash CJ Daily Fix
    Rinse out: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
    Leave In: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture, SSRPT
    Stylers: Ecostyler Krystal, LALSG (in really high dews)
    PT: SS Repairing Protein Treatment
  • impendingraptureimpendingrapture Posts: 16Registered Users

I bought a big bottle of CIAB a few months back and haven't found any use for it yet. I have had greasy looking results that left me with limp stringy hair that looked like it hadn't had any care in a month! I must admit that I didn't give it many tries, I was so put off by the results I got from the directions on the bottle. Yuck! This made me want to give it another go, I'm hoping for something along the lines of what Deva's Mirror Curls promises to do- I've read nothing but bad reviews of that stuff so I'll not put out the $$! I'd like to try the combo you used as a jumping off point so I can see where to go with it.:blob7:
    Mod CG since September 2010
    2 a/b some 3 on a good day- not usually:cwm10:
    Pretty sure protein is a problem, yet I keep trying
    no poo so far!
    :iroc:
    Developing some strong PJ tendencies...
    Co-wash, rinse, leave-in: Tresemme naturals radiant volume condish
    Styling products:
    re:coil, LOOB

PLOP IT LIKE IT'S HOT, PLOP IT LIKE IT'S HOT
  • RustinaRustina Posts: 894Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CIAB is best used over a simple LI/gel combination, and depending what condition your hair is in you can just use gel +CIAB. This how I use my CIAB mostly with Ecostyler krystal underneath and my curls come out wonderfully. There is also the issue that the products you're layering don't play well together...

HTH
    Interesting...Naturalista, I have used CIAB and EcoKrystal before, but I did it exactly opposite to you - raked in the CIAB first on my wet hair, then scrunched it in upside down, then scrunched the Eco mixed with a little more CIAB on top of that. I got shiny curls with a little frizz (but I get frizz with everything these days) and I liked it, but I'm wondering about your routine with these two products. Do you scrunch in your Eco by itself on wet hair, then scrunch in the CIAB right after? Let the Eco dry on its own and then scrunch in CIAB as a finisher? Use them mixed like I do? If you don't mind, I'd like a little more detail on how you use this combo!
    Sulfate/non-water-soluble silicone free since 8/16/10
    Northern VA
    Med-coarse, normal porosity, low elasticity
    Dye-free since 11/2010

• CurlykeyCurlykey Posts: 1,540Registered Users Curl Novice
    I have found for me that I get better results with CIAB if I use it as a serum, whether before or after gel. I will get that greasy, producty feel if I use too much. Using it as a serum gives me nice shiny curls that I love♥. So about a quarter size blob is all I need, any more than that and it's Ick city! :flower:
    $5 off first order at iherb use code KEY066
  • cypressmomcypressmom Posts: 236Registered Users
    I just started using CIAB and CCCC. I use a nickle size blob of CCCC and rake it though. Then, I add two quarter size puddles of CIAB and comb though. I then scrunch and plop for about 15 minutes and then scrunch in about a nickle size amount of BRHG and diffuse. I've had the best hair days this week.
    CypressMom
    3A - I think!

I like to use, but not all at once: :)
    Wash: V05 Tea Therapy or CJ Daily Fix
    Condition: CJ Curl Rehab (apply as needed, not daily)
    Style: CCCC Lite, CIAB, and BRHG. KCCC is my #1 product

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file