Protein or Not?

LovelyCoilsLovelyCoils Posts: 24Registered Users
Ok, so I'm pretty sure that I'm fully going CG tomorrow and I've been seriously considering what type of hair I have so I can get the best products etc. I've done a "strand test" and from my results my hair seems to be 4a or b with pretty fine-medium strands but it also seems to be really really porous and slightly dense so I'm tryin' to figure out if I should use a protein treatment, or maybe a protein rich conditioner (CG approved) to help out the lack of protein or if I should just get a great deep conditioner + moisturizer & sealant to help with my porosity issue...I'm takin' a poll to get some results since I'm going shopping tomorrow (might become a PJ lol)

Thanks Ladies!!
- Haircare is so difficult lol -
No really solid Regimen yet (still getting to know my hair); here's some of what I've been doing lately
[My Regimen]
  1. Conditioner:Aussie Moist
  2. Moisture:Water?Sealant: Hot Six Oil
  3. Gels: LA Looks, IC Hair gel
I Would Love ANY Suggestions: Dense; Porous; Fine strands, coarse hair?; 4a/4b Hair!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• EllyEllyOxenFreeEllyEllyOxenFree Posts: 6,446Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Fine hair usually likes protein, but honestly, it really just depends. My hair is med/coarse and I never do protein treatments, but a bit here and there in my products doesn't seem to hurt. You just have to experiment. As for your porosity issue...is it really an issue? If your hair isn't damaged it might just be porous, which is okay. Perhaps start off with a protein condish (Aubrey Organics GPB is good) and see how that turns out. hth
    BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
    YouTube
    Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
  • hippychichippychic Posts: 4,673Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    my hair is fine and protein is one of my bffs. the other being water!
    LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity:?, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LovelyCoilsLovelyCoils Posts: 24Registered Users
    ellepixie wrote: »
    Fine hair usually likes protein, but honestly, it really just depends. My hair is med/coarse and I never do protein treatments, but a bit here and there in my products doesn't seem to hurt. You just have to experiment. As for your porosity issue...is it really an issue? If your hair isn't damaged it might just be porous, which is okay. Perhaps start off with a protein condish (Aubrey Organics GPB is good) and see how that turns out. hth

:( Definitely tried a protein-rich deep conditioning treatment I had used this one before before I started my CG routine and had pretty good results but my hair just feels really oily, looks dry and frizzy, and feels slightly soft but still dry (even it was wet it didnt feel 'moisturized') so I guess it's back to the drawingboard on this one. lol

*I think my hair is pretty damaged from all the relaxers too...it never was really healthy even when I was relaxing using children's strength relaxers...don't really know why though. It seems to be growing pretty fast now though, even though its never moisturized enough lol
    No really solid Regimen yet (still getting to know my hair); here's some of what I've been doing lately
    [My Regimen]
    I Would Love ANY Suggestions: Dense; Porous; Fine strands, coarse hair?; 4a/4b Hair!
    hippychic wrote: »
    my hair is fine and protein is one of my bffs. the other being water!

Do you know any really good protein treatments?
    [My Regimen]
  • pretebrowneyespretebrowneyes Posts: 248Registered Users
    For me Protein+Conditioner. Last night I did an Avocado Banana PT and then GVP Condition Balm DC. My hair LOVED it!!!! I've had a lot of flyaways and frizzies and I'm hoping more protein coupled with moisture will balance my hair. I will mention that I have fine hair with low porosity if that makes a difference.
    *MopTop Maven Healthy Hair Challenge 2011*:wave:

PrePoo- EVOO
    LowPoo- Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap bar
    Shampoo- ORS Creamy Aloe
    Clarifying poo- Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo
    DC- GVP Conditioning Balm
    PT- GVP K-Pak reconstructor
    Leave in- Giovanni Direct leave-in *with kimmaytube recipe*
    Moisturizer- water+aloe vera juice+castor oil+jojoba oil spritz
    Sealant- jojoba oil
  • curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Posts: 475Registered Users
    When I first went natural I stayed away from protein because I feared breakage but my hair became over moisturized.
    I now use conditioners that contain some protein and still do a protein treatment once a month.This has been my routine since January and I have noticed a difference.

event.png
  • eccentric_kurlzeccentric_kurlz Posts: 4,151Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If you have highly porous hair(because everyone has some type of porosity), then moisture and protein is needed. Highly porous hair tends to be a bit more fragile, so both moisture(conditioning) and protein will likely be necessary to maintain your hair's health.

You could maybe to a protein DT once every week/every other week, and supplement in between treatments by using a nourishing conditioner, leave in and moisturizer.
    A wonderful mix of coils, curls, corkscrews, and kinks.

http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb133/shyygirl_2007/
    PW: curlyhair

I have a blog now. Follow meeeee! :)

http://naturalurbanista.blogspot.com/

"You see, when it comes to language competence, a true patriot must hit that sweet spot between "job-stealing immigrant" and "liberal elitist." ~Eilonwy

Wanna have access to the top names in fashion and luxury at up to 70% off retail? Sure you do. http://tinyurl.com/3yxneol

DC metro area
  • BekkaPooBekkaPoo Posts: 3,861Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not sure how long you have been using relaxers before you went natural, but you could be growing scab hair right now, which from what I understand is hard to work with because while it's natural, it's also hair that was damaged under the scalp and is now showing on the surface.

Anyways, I have fine and porous hair and it loves protein. My hair can never have enough, so I use conditioners with protein in them and/or herbal treatments that strengthen the hair, like amla or tea rinses.
    "The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
    "...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
    My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
  • SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have mostly 4a, fine, porous and low-volume (density) hair. Definitely a conditioner or deep conditioner with a mixture of moisture and protein works well for me. I am in love with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mop-Top-Deep-Conditioner-p-719.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=moptop-deep-conditioner]Mop Top Deep conditioner[/buylink] because it moisturizers and detangles yet has 5 proteins. And I don't have to use heat.

After using protein packs and reconstructors for just a few months, I became protein sensitive, so I won't go there unless -- maybe -- my hair is falling off.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
    BekkaPoo wrote: »
    Not sure how long you have been using relaxers before you went natural, but you could be growing scab hair right now, which from what I understand is hard to work with because while it's natural, it's also hair that was damaged under the scalp and is now showing on the surface.

Anyways, I have fine and porous hair and it loves protein. My hair can never have enough, so I use conditioners with protein in them and/or herbal treatments that strengthen the hair, like amla or tea rinses.

I never even knew scab hair existed...
    [My Regimen]
    I have mostly 4a, fine, porous and low-volume (density) hair. Definitely a conditioner or deep conditioner with a mixture of moisture and protein works well for me. I am in love with [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Mop-Top-Deep-Conditioner-p-719.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=moptop-deep-conditioner]Mop Top Deep conditioner[/buylink] because it moisturizers and detangles yet has 5 proteins. And I don't have to use heat.

After using protein packs and reconstructors for just a few months, I became protein sensitive, so I won't go there unless -- maybe -- my hair is falling off.

Yeah, my hair seemed to be pretty upset the other night when I put in the protein-rich DC...however, I'm thinking now that It was just the leave-in moisturizer I put on because after I washed it out...my hair seemed happy with just a bit of ecostyler gel. I need to figure out a moisturizer that doesn't just sit on my hair or leave it feeling gunky and greasy. My hair also loves conditioner like nobody's business though.
    [My Regimen]
    For me Protein+Conditioner. Last night I did an Avocado Banana PT and then GVP Condition Balm DC. My hair LOVED it!!!! I've had a lot of flyaways and frizzies and I'm hoping more protein coupled with moisture will balance my hair. I will mention that I have fine hair with low porosity if that makes a difference.

Did you make your PT treatment yourself? I have NO clue where to start with that lol
    [My Regimen]
    When I first went natural I stayed away from protein because I feared breakage but my hair became over moisturized.
    I now use conditioners that contain some protein and still do a protein treatment once a month.This has been my routine since January and I have noticed a difference.

How do you know when your hair is over moisturized??
    [My Regimen]
    If you have highly porous hair(because everyone has some type of porosity), then moisture and protein is needed. Highly porous hair tends to be a bit more fragile, so both moisture(conditioning) and protein will likely be necessary to maintain your hair's health.

You could maybe to a protein DT once every week/every other week, and supplement in between treatments by using a nourishing conditioner, leave in and moisturizer.

...hmm..I will say that my hair felt a lot stronger today, a day or two after I did the protein treatment...but it was definitely dry as hell...until I washed out the leave-in conditioner I had in it...and just put ecostyler gel in it while it was still wet. Of course, as the day progressed with a huge amount of gel in my hair it felt as stiff as cardboard (primarily on the top layer of hair) so I don't know what's worse.
    [My Regimen]
  • curlyhersheygirlcurlyhersheygirl Posts: 475Registered Users

How do you know when your hair is over moisturized??

It feels very mushy and there's very little elasticity.
    Instead of lovely big hair it started to look limp. HTH

event.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file