Colour advice???

CaptivatingMelodyCaptivatingMelody Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi everyone!!!

I'm wondering if any of you have had my experience. I've never dyed my hair before, other than using wash out colours, but I've been toying with the idea of going lighter. I bought another wash out yesterday (because I don't want to do anything permanent unless I'm SURE). Anyway, it didn't make as much of a visible difference as the box showed it would. I think that this is because the shadow from the curls makes my hair appear darker than it is. My hair is actually like a light-medium brown, but it often appears very dark. Anyway, it was supposed to turn dark golden blonde, but it seems to have just changed a little. Has anyone else had this experience?

My hair basically looks exactly like Taylor Swift's NATURAL hair, cut and texture.

taylor-swift41.jpg

My current (natural) colour is actually closest to 14 - lightest golden brown, but with the shadow from the curls plus a bit of product, it usually looks more like the top row of browns. I'd like to get it to look like 20 or 26 - Honey Blonde or Golden Honey. How light do you think I should go to get it to look that colour most of the time? (BTW, as a child, my hair was golden blonde...so it's okay for me to lighten it)

cooleurocolors1.jpg

Any advice you guys have would be great...thanks!!!

Comments

• CurlyToastCurlyToast Registered Users Posts: 579
    A semi- or demi-permanent color will not lighten. In order to lighten, you need to lift your natural color and those type processes are deposit only.

If you want to lighten, you need to use -- at a minimum -- a permanent color, and possibly bleach, depending on how much you want to lighten. Since it looks like you want to go up barely one level, just using a permanent color should do just fine.

But two questions for you:

1. Are you *sure* your natural color is *actually* close to the shade you described (lightest golden brown), or is that wishful thinking based on previous blondeness? I ask because, although being curly can make you look a bit darker, you're describing about 2-3 level difference, straight v. curled, which seems kind of extreme to me. So is it possible that you're hair is really darker than the color you've described it as? Possibly somewhere between the light golden brown and the darker browns? This is important, as the shade you're starting out with will determine what process you need to use to get the color and tones you want. Using just permanent color on medium brown to get to honey blonde will have vastly different results than using it on light golden brown attempting to get to the same end result.

2. What do you mean it's ok for you to go lighter since you were blonde as a kid? It's ok for anyone to go blonde :P
  • CaptivatingMelodyCaptivatingMelody Registered Users Posts: 2
    CurlyToast wrote: »
    A semi- or demi-permanent color will not lighten. In order to lighten, you need to lift your natural color and those type processes are deposit only.

If you want to lighten, you need to use -- at a minimum -- a permanent color, and possibly bleach, depending on how much you want to lighten. Since it looks like you want to go up barely one level, just using a permanent color should do just fine.

But two questions for you:

1. Are you *sure* your natural color is *actually* close to the shade you described (lightest golden brown), or is that wishful thinking based on previous blondeness? I ask because, although being curly can make you look a bit darker, you're describing about 2-3 level difference, straight v. curled, which seems kind of extreme to me. So is it possible that you're hair is really darker than the color you've described it as? Possibly somewhere between the light golden brown and the darker browns? This is important, as the shade you're starting out with will determine what process you need to use to get the color and tones you want. Using just permanent color on medium brown to get to honey blonde will have vastly different results than using it on light golden brown attempting to get to the same end result.

2. What do you mean it's ok for you to go lighter since you were blonde as a kid? It's ok for anyone to go blonde :P

1. Yes, I am sure that my hair is actually much lighter than how it looks when curled. I think it's a mix of the shadow, plus the product. I know this because whenever I straighten it, it looks much lighter, and people always ask if I've coloured it. I wouldn't mind if the darker colours were my true colours. I like having brown hair. I kind of just want to see what it would look light if it were lighter. BTW, I don't know what my actual colour would be called, but just based on the chart...the picture of lightest golden blonde looks the closest.

2. LOL true, that anyone can go blonde. I just wanted to make it clear, because a lot of people don't recommend it for people who have naturally dark hair. :P

Thanks for the advice! Are there any ways that I could see what it would look like without committing to a permanent change??? The colour did lighten my hair somewhat...just not as much as I was hoping.
    Nope -- all lightening is permanent.
  • anniemaeanniemae Registered Users Posts: 1,702 Curl Neophyte
    I think you can just do some test strands - maybe just do a small area of hair in the back of your head - underneath layers.
    Hair Type - wavy/curly, fine texture, thin/medium density
    2b-c/F/ii
    :dog:
    anniemae wrote: »
    I think you can just do some test strands - maybe just do a small area of hair in the back of your head - underneath layers.

If you do that -- and test strands are *always* a good idea -- make sure that you use a section of hair that includes the texture and color of your topmost layers, as any difference in porosity or color is going to translate into a difference in the final result.
  • SilverAngel45SilverAngel45 Registered Users Posts: 244
    u could try on a wig the color ur looking for to see how u like it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file