A spray that holds but is not oily or sticky?

justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
HELLO!! I am new. New to this forum and new to curly hair!
I had stick straight hair my whole life. Now, at almost 46, my hair has decided to be curly (prayers my entire life for curly hair have been granted...haha!)!
I am at a loss for products! I am guessing that products I used with straight hair may need replacing!
It appears that I am a 2A. Loose, beachy curls and waves (I prayed fro ringlets, but I will not complain!). I am having fun but have just used Redken Fresh curls spray, mousse, shampoo and conditioner. I was also introduced to a diffuser! I am one confused chick!
I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!!

Here is my "before" just a week ago! I had NO idea that my hair was curly!!
7131_1183122311028_1617336391_46-1.jpg
I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
Condition: DevaCurl OC
LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Comments

• kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Hi! It's me from MUA.
    I'd stay away from a diffuser until you can get your products right. Unless you have really good luck diffusing and getting good results, a so-so result from the diffuser could misguide you from the right products. Stick with scrunching and air drying if you can for right now. Sprays are excellent for light curls, but sometimes doesn't offer much of a hold unless it's a gel-spray (which I find can leave my hair a bit sticky). If you ordered that in your Jessicurl samples though, I've never tried the Gelabration spray yet. I used to be scared of gel, but gel is the best for moisturizing your hair while providing some "hold" for your curl. So when you get your Deva kit, definitely try the AnGELL gel. Are you going to try co-washing also? Or using a sulfate free shampoo? Sometimes it's good to start with the "'poo" then see if conditioner washing is right for you.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • kellygreen49kellygreen49 Posts: 625Registered Users
    Oh, and one more thing. If you want to try some more products without paying shipping; see if you have a beauty brands store near by. http://www.beautybrands.com/home.do

They have a whole bunch of curly girl approved sulfate/silicone free items. When I was there they had Deva, Biolage, AG Hair Cosmetics, Biosilk, Elucence, KMS California curl products... a lot.
    3A~fine texture
    Cleanser: GiovanniTTTT, Deva Low Poo
    Condish: Deva One C, GiovanniTTTT, GVP Balm
    Styler: Deva ArcANGELL, HESMU, AG Mousse Gel
    Want to try: CJ Gellie, Hand Dry Hair Glove, BRHG
    I <3 second day hair :iconbiggrin:
    Call me a Curltalk Otaku. ~MirCurls
    http://public.fotki.com/kellygreen49/
    PW curlyhair
    Image301-1.jpg curls1-1.jpg
  • justajesuschickjustajesuschick Posts: 1,657Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    HEY! Thanks for more tips! We live in the same state so yes, ma'am, I have beauty Brands. That is where I am going to return my Redken Fresh Curls products. Sulfates. I am going to try avoiding silicone and sulfates as you suggest.
    Believe it or not, my hair is MUCH curlier with a diffuser than when air dried! I actually really like it. Even day 2! I did not think that I would! I have an Aquis microfiber towel that I have had in a package in my closet for years and once reading about not using terry, I took it out and tried it. It seems to work well!
    I had decided to get the Devacurl travel set in exchange but now you have me thinking!! I think I still will do that and then as you suggested mingle it with Jessicurl to find a good combination.
    Just when I think I have a plan and am figuring stuff out, I discover something new! I will report back on my new products when I receive and use. Thanks again!!
    I'm 47. Straight hair until 6/2010. THANKS, thyroid!
    2b, medium-fine, normal-low porosity, medium density and elasticity
    CG since 7/1/2010

Cleanse: Abba Color Protect
    Condition: DevaCurl OC
    LI: CJ-Deep Fix, Beauticurls LI
    Curl Enhancer: CHS Curl Keeper, KCCC
    Gel: Alba Strong Hold Gel, BRHG, Hugo Naturals Gel, SS FHG, CJPP
    Trying/Maybe: Ecostyler, CJRM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights